Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Do you not comprehend that the above is just you opinion and according to your own words is no more valid than anyone else's and as such is worthless in judging. You know according to your own posts. Ergo, your whole series of posts in this thread is worthless and no more valid than anyone else's.

How this fact how flown over your head consistently being shown to you is I must conclude an effect of your misguided approach to morality - which stems from that ancient tribal book you think comes from on high.

So sad!
Yes. It is my opinion that God is God. And you still have no basis for condemning the actions of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Argumentum ad nauseam is the logical fallacy that something becomes true if it is repeated often enough. The overuse of an ad nauseam argument that can be easily shown to be false leads to the PRATT - the "point refuted a thousand times."

A point refuted a thousand times, commonly abbreviated as PRATT, refers to a point or argument that has literally been refuted so many times that it is not worth bothering with.
So why do you persist in your claims that you have any sort of moral authority over ANYONE else?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. It is my opinion that God is God. And you still have no basis for condemning the actions of God.
Which is completely irrelevant and sidetracking the issues I am dealing with in your points. Of course that would just mean that you have no basis for condemning my condemnation of god - if that is what I was doing - which I have not.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Which is completely irrelevant and sidetracking the issues I am dealing with in your points.
Actually, it's quite relevant. The OP started the thread discussing the morality of God.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
So why do you persist in your claims that you have any sort of moral authority over ANYONE else?
Vizio ... like I told you before.

Our morality comes from consensus. At least for the most part. Sometimes the rule of law is necessary, but not always.

Morality has always come from consensus. Always.

Even Christians derive their morality through consensus, which is why there are so many denominations and factions, each with their own peculiar moral beliefs.

There is no absolute morality.

Morality has never been a black or white issue. Whenever it was, that society was oppressive and brutal.

Even the big things like killing people - there are always exceptions.

In addition, your absolute morality comes from a God not everyone believes in. Thus morality being absolute to begin with only applies to those who believe in the source.

I don't. Neither do 4 billion other people.

You can exercise your devotion to your own god, your own religion, and your own morality - but the moment you try to force me to follow your rules (many of which I reject out of hand), well, that's when I start getting feisty.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Actually, it's quite relevant. The OP started the thread discussing the morality of God.
Excuse me! I am not the OP! It is irrelevant to my posts with regard to your particular responses. Why I would have to make that clear seems like just another intentional sidetrack on your part.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Excuse me! I am not the OP! It is irrelevant to my posts with regard to your particular responses. Why I would have to make that clear seems like just another intentional sidetrack on your part.
Perhaps you should try to keep the discussion on track instead of hijacking the thread then.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Vizio ... like I told you before.

Our morality comes from consensus. At least for the most part. Sometimes the rule of law is necessary, but not always.
Ultimately, though...it's consensus of opinions.
Quote:
Morality has always come from consensus. Always.
How do you know?
Quote:
Even Christians derive their morality through consensus, which is why there are so many denominations and factions, each with their own peculiar moral beliefs.

There is no absolute morality.
If there is no moral absolute, then there is no basis for condemnation of ANYONE you deem to be immoral. I wouldn't want live in your world of make-believe.
Quote:
Morality has never been a black or white issue. Whenever it was, that society was oppressive and brutal.

Even the big things like killing people - there are always exceptions.

In addition, your absolute morality comes from a God not everyone believes in. Thus morality being absolute to begin with only applies to those who believe in the source.
Yet....you guys love to try to condemn and discredit said God.
Quote:
I don't. Neither do 4 billion other people.

You can exercise your devotion to your own god, your own religion, and your own morality - but the moment you try to force me to follow your rules (many of which I reject out of hand), well, that's when I start getting feisty.
I've certainly never suggested you must adhere to my religion.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Define evil, please. You haven't done that. Nor CAN you do that. Your system of morality cannot objectively define evil. What you say is evil, not everyone agrees on. Until you can do that all you have is your personal opinion, which is worthless when it comes to condemning anyone else.
Evil is whatever is destructive to the human purpose for existing. You have been told this many times and you ignore any answers that refute your idea of objective "absolute" morality. The "absolute" is in quotes because your version is not remotely "absolute." It is whatever God says it is . . . except that it doesn't ever apply to God! The fact that it must also be SUBJECTIVELY determined by human beings from revelations recorded by subjective human beings seems to elude your awareness!
Quote:
Actually no. I never said that. I said God can punish because he owns us--he created us. I don't expect you to actually get right what I said though. That would take intellectual honesty.
God does not punish, period. We experience the consequences of our violations of God's laws . . . whether physical or spiritual . . . here and after death.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Evil is whatever is destructive to the human purpose for existing.
How do you come up with this definition? How do you know how to apply it to a particular circumstance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality