Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM

217 posts, read 146,535 times

Advertisements

Thought this was a good read from Greta Christina this morning. Just wanted to share as it touches on many of the topics that come up here.

Why You Can't Reconcile God and Evolution | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
It was mildly interesting. Her point(s) rely on belief in an interventionist God. Admittedly, most believers have that sort of God in mind but certainly not all of us do.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Her points address an interventionist god; they don't constitute an endorsement of one.

A non-interventionist god would not be a "guiding hand" in evolution, only one who directly or indirectly set the process in motion and perhaps has prescience of its outcomes. But since he is non-interventionist, I don't think outcomes would even interest him and in terms of his impact on creation it is the same as no god at all.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Her points address an interventionist god; they don't constitute an endorsement of one.

A non-interventionist god would not be a "guiding hand" in evolution, only one who directly or indirectly set the process in motion and perhaps has prescience of its outcomes. But since he is non-interventionist, I don't think outcomes would even interest him and in terms of his impact on creation it is the same as no god at all.
I disagree. I think God (I REALLY dislike that word but....) is capable of learning, of experiencing wonder, of being surprised - of evolving.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I can't decided if this thread is worth my time. It's like this woman is making up some kind of god and then saying it can't exit, because of how she views evolution.

Does that not constitute a "Straw-Man" argument?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I disagree. I think God (I REALLY dislike that word but....) is capable of learning, of experiencing wonder, of being surprised - of evolving.
What word do you really like then? I can understand you not liking the word and all the freight that goes with it, because a god is generally thought to be without areas of ignorance or any lack within itself that requires a growth process.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I can't decided if this thread is worth my time. It's like this woman is making up some kind of god and then saying it can't exit, because of how she views evolution.

Does that not constitute a "Straw-Man" argument?
She is not making up a god, she is addressing the interventionist, personal, creator-god as generally conceptualized -- and the logical incompatibility of that with evolution.

How is your god different from the one she is talking about?

If you are a True Fundamentalist then she is basically explaining why you must reject / deny evolution, so you should be cool with that. I have yet to meet a fundamentalist who doesn't reject theistic evolution, albeit for rather different primary reasons such as incompatibility with a literal reading of Genesis.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
What word do you really like then? I can understand you not liking the word and all the freight that goes with it, because a god is generally thought to be without areas of ignorance or any lack within itself that requires a growth process.
I wish I could come up with one that works.

Maybe Larry, or Kevin, or Blanche....

Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
She is not making up a god, she is addressing the interventionist, personal, creator-god as generally conceptualized -- and the logical incompatibility of that with evolution.

How is your god different from the one she is talking about?

If you are a True Fundamentalist then she is basically explaining why you must reject / deny evolution, so you should be cool with that. I have yet to meet a fundamentalist who doesn't reject theistic evolution, albeit for rather different primary reasons such as incompatibility with a literal reading of Genesis.
Why do you assume I am a fundie?

Why do you believe a personal God, who is involved with creation is compelled to micromanage the process of evolution? God is not compelled, but can chose to either leave it be, step into the process at certain points or guide it completely. God is not a mindless robot.

And for your reading pleasure:

I have come to understand that the first part of the book of Genesis as basically saying that God created everything. It should be noted that Genesis was written for the Hebrew mindset. We (westerners) are of the Greek mindset. By Greek, I mean we follow the Greek way of thinking and looking at the world. We want precise answers, facts, figures order of occurrence and dates, etc.

The Hebrew mindset is primarily interested in concepts, with facts and figures being secondary. What mattered to the Hebrews is that God created the Universe. The order and time of the events were not important to the Hebrew mind.

As I see it you run into problems applying Greek thinking to a Hebrew document.That is why the creation story does not make sense to the scientific mind.

Of course we always must bear in mind that God is not limited to obey the laws of nature. So, if God wanted to create the universe in six, 24 hour days He could.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-05-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Great article, another point that could be made is - at what point did 'mankind' get a soul that could be held accountable and 'fellowship' with God? Did homo Erectus or Neanderthal have this 'soul'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality