Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

I just got a phone call from a member of the church we attended when we lived in NM. It seems someone decided to take a match to the trailers that were the offices and Sunday school of St Philips Episcopal church last Friday. All the records are gone, the Sunday school is damaged and the food that was used for the food pantry was destroyed. I can understand some crimes, and I can understand people not believing in God, but I can not understand why someone would do something like this? Luckily the priest was not in the office at the time.

My prayers go out to all my friends involved in the church. I did hear the community has come forward with help, especially in rebuilding the supply of food for food pantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 01:01 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Many arsonists just want the feeling of power that goes with setting fires, and don't really care what they set fire to. Someone who has crossed such a mental Rubicon is not going to be swayed by a structure belonging to a church, or any other supposedly taboo or high social value target. It's not even on their radar, or if it is, it just makes them aware that it will create a greater stir -- and give them a greater feeling of power amidst their powerless existence. The more people who are hurt or outraged, the sweeter the payback.

I hope they catch the arsonist and I'm glad that the community has rallied 'round. I am not known for placing a high value on religious organizations, but no one deserves to be violated in that way.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
It's also possible that kids were fooling around and it got out of hand. There may have been no real intent to destroy the church.

(I remember playing with a magnifying glass behind a furniture store. I set a piece of paper afire and the wind blew it to some cardboard-covered new furniture nearby. Luckily, the store owner noticed right away and put it out before any real damage occurred. But I learned a lesson.)

Old 10-02-2014, 01:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's also possible that kids were fooling around and it got out of hand. There may have been no real intent to destroy the church.

(I remember playing with a magnifying glass behind a furniture store. I set a piece of paper afire and the wind blew it to some cardboard-covered new furniture nearby. Luckily, the store owner noticed right away and put it out before any real damage occurred. But I learned a lesson.)
not knowing the details, I really can't agree or disagree with you, but I do know the area and I would say your theory is not too likely. I would like to hope you are right.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
That's sad. Hopefully it's not some whack-job making a statement. Or, worse, getting his yah-yah's by setting fires.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's sad. Hopefully it's not some whack-job making a statement. Or, worse, getting his yah-yah's by setting fires.
Agreed.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Many arsonists just want the feeling of power that goes with setting fires, and don't really care what they set fire to. Someone who has crossed such a mental Rubicon is not going to be swayed by a structure belonging to a church, or any other supposedly taboo or high social value target. It's not even on their radar, or if it is, it just makes them aware that it will create a greater stir -- and give them a greater feeling of power amidst their powerless existence. The more people who are hurt or outraged, the sweeter the payback.

I hope they catch the arsonist and I'm glad that the community has rallied 'round. I am not known for placing a high value on religious organizations, but no one deserves to be violated in that way.
Actually, not sure I agree. It takes a real beef with the church to burn it down. I can think of a few reasons... small minded people, having expectations that don't match with who you are inside, etc.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Actually, not sure I agree. It takes a real beef with the church to burn it down. I can think of a few reasons... small minded people, having expectations that don't match with who you are inside, etc.
Well, we are all guessing unless and until the perp is caught and "explains" themselves. But people who do random violent things often act under compulsion which may or may not center on or be associated with some rationalization for doing it such as a beef with a church or with god. It might have been a target of opportunity and totally random, and it might have been something more. I supposed we've beaten that thoroughly to death now ...

Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well, we are all guessing unless and until the perp is caught and "explains" themselves. But people who do random violent things often act under compulsion which may or may not center on or be associated with some rationalization for doing it such as a beef with a church or with god. It might have been a target of opportunity and totally random, and it might have been something more. I supposed we've beaten that thoroughly to death now ...
Most of the time, these incidents turn out to be caused by:
  • A disgruntled church employee who was fired
  • An angry husband who thought his wife was spending too much time at church
  • An arsonist who wanted to make sure he didn't kill anyone (and churches are usually unoccupied at night)
  • A custodian who lit a cigarette near flammable cleaning materials
  • Old, worn, or obsolete electrical equipment or electrical wiring
  • Kids angry that they're being forced to attend church
  • Some personal drama taking place between a member and the pastor

Or other reason similar to the list above. Very very rarely do these kind of incidents turn out to be religiously or politically motivated.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Most of the time, these incidents turn out to be caused by:
  • A disgruntled church employee who was fired
  • An angry husband who thought his wife was spending too much time at church
  • An arsonist who wanted to make sure he didn't kill anyone (and churches are usually unoccupied at night)
  • A custodian who lit a cigarette near flammable cleaning materials
  • Old, worn, or obsolete electrical equipment or electrical wiring
  • Kids angry that they're being forced to attend church
  • Some personal drama taking place between a member and the pastor

Or other reason similar to the list above. Very very rarely do these kind of incidents turn out to be religiously or politically motivated.
Or for an insurance payout. It has been known to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality