Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
no, the matter is not clear at all. Evolution can be argued against without any religious overtones.
But not without religious undertones. There's no scientific basis for rejecting evolution. There is only a dogmatic basis, and that is a conservative religious one.

Quote:
The matter is not settled scientifically.
Not every last detail and specific, but the broader concepts and framework absolutely are settled.

Quote:
The theory's proponents want us to believe it is, but
I think you'd be surprised how many people's objections to the theory of evolution have little
or nothing to do with religion.
I think you'd be surprised how little professionals care for the dogmatic and naive opinions of hobbyists. Can you point to a single peer reviewed publication that rejects the theory of evolution and is not easily tied to a religious dogma of some kind?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
more often than not, "Occam's Razor" is actually employed to argue for a God than against one.
It is doubtless hijacked by Christian apologists, and used wrongly in that way. But god is an entity, and an elegant theory of anything has a minimum of entities. Everything that we observe is explicable without god -- except of course to those who are accustomed to thinking that nothing is explicable without god.

I can see where someone might think that god pulling the world and life and humanity instantly out of his magic bag seems simpler than the drawn out, arduous and sometimes counterintuitive evolutionary explanations, which involve mind boggling amounts of time, for instance. But the important thing is not who can or can't get their brain around certain concepts, it is that all things being equal, explanations that have a minimum of external actors and follow observable natural processes on their own, are more likely to be correct than any alternatives. And this is doubly true when there is no evidence of such external actors anyway.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,469 times
Quote:
more often than not, "Occam's Razor" is actually employed to argue for a God than against one.
Yeah, but not accurately or appropriately.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:42 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
. Can you point to a single peer reviewed publication that rejects the theory of evolution and is not easily tied to a religious dogma of some kind?
There is no such thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

I actually love science and love intellectual matters. But whether God exists or not has nothing to do with "anti-intellectualism" but rather has everything to do with the fact that scientists have not right to tell us if God does or does not exist since spiritual matters are not scientific matters.
Mmm. So scientists have no right to say that God doesn't exist, but religious leaders have every right to say that evolution is false? If scientists should stick to scientific matters and religion should stick to spritual matters, then please tell religion to quit telling us that the Earth is only 6000 years old and was created in 6 days. They have no right!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post

Evolution is actually a proven fact. The word theory in the scientific community is not what most people think it is it seems.
But that's just it, scientists have no proven fact God does not exist so they should leave that out of their talks concerning the universe and scientific matters.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Mmm. So scientists have no right to say that God doesn't exist, but religious leaders have every right to say that evolution is false? If scientists should stick to scientific matters and religion should stick to spritual matters, then please tell religion to quit telling us that the Earth is only 6000 years old and was created in 6 days. They have no right!
I actually agree with you.

Religion, please quit telling us that the Earth is only 6000 years old and was created in 6 days.

There, are you happy now?

BTW, I believe the earth is possibly many millions of years old and that God made the earth that was already in existence, that earth became chaos and sterile and then God made the earth habitable again in 6 days roughly 6 or so thousand years ago. Evolution is impossible based on that.

Last edited by Eusebius; 10-29-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I can see where someone might think that god pulling the world and life and humanity instantly out of his magic bag
I know of no theologian who posits that which you state above.
Quote:
seems simpler than the drawn out, arduous and sometimes counterintuitive evolutionary explanations, which involve mind boggling amounts of time, for instance.
Quote:
But the important thing is not who can or can't get their brain around certain concepts, it is that all things being equal, explanations that have a minimum of external actors and follow observable natural processes on their own, are more likely to be correct than any alternatives. And this is doubly true when there is no evidence of such external actors anyway.
And there is no evidence of no external actors. It is just the say-so of the anti-god theorists.

Last edited by Eusebius; 10-29-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But that's just it, scientists have no proven fact God does not exist so they should leave that out of their talks concerning the universe and scientific matters.
I may not agree, but I do understand what you are saying, and you do have a point.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
I think you'd be surprised how little professionals care for the dogmatic and naive opinions of hobbyists. Can you point to a single peer reviewed publication that rejects the theory of evolution and is not easily tied to a religious dogma of some kind?
Here is a list of peer reviewed publications concerning Intelligent Design:

Peer-Reviewed Articles Supporting Intelligent Design | Center for Science and Culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality