Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times

Advertisements

I guess I belong to one of those "rare" growing churches. We've gone from 45 members in 1982 to 6,000 today. We had 200+ baptisms in the last church year (Oct.-Oct.). We have several hundred youth, and hundreds of young families. There are several in our area experiencing the same. To be clear, I live in a state and area that is growing rapidly, as far as overall population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 03:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times
Churches and religion might become less relevant, but God will not.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,212,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I guess I belong to one of those "rare" growing churches. We've gone from 45 members in 1982 to 6,000 today. We had 200+ baptisms in the last church year (Oct.-Oct.). We have several hundred youth, and hundreds of young families. There are several in our area experiencing the same. To be clear, I live in a state and area that is growing rapidly, as far as overall population.
If you're not comfortable saying where you're from on a message board, I understand completely...but may I ask what area and perhaps what denomination? Is your pastor well-known?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think I can tell you why. From what you've shared about your church it's very involved in helping the community. Your church seems to practice what Jesus taught. Sounds like a good church for young families who are looking to do more than sit and listen to a sermon.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think I can tell you why. From what you've shared about your church it's very involved in helping the community. Your church seems to practice what Jesus taught. Sounds like a good church for young families who are looking to do more than sit and listen to a sermon.
That's what I was thinking to about the Dones and Nones. I understand the Dones, they are fed-up with the negative energies involved with the little social interactions in church settings, but they still hold their religion as part of their identity. I don't understand the Nones though. How can someone hold "no particular religion" without being theist? If their theism doesn't have any rules, etc... Isn't that their religion? I guess it doesn't have a name though.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,243 times
Bible edges out Darwin as ‘most valuable to humanity’ in survey of influential books

Bible edges out Darwin as

Looks like religion is still relevant?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
That's what I was thinking to about the Dones and Nones. I understand the Dones, they are fed-up with the negative energies involved with the little social interactions in church settings, but they still hold their religion as part of their identity. I don't understand the Nones though. How can someone hold "no particular religion" without being theist? If their theism doesn't have any rules, etc... Isn't that their religion? I guess it doesn't have a name though.

They would be called atheists, or at least, agnostics.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
.[/b]

They would be called atheists, or at least, agnostics.
I think a lot of the Nones still (either pretending gnosticism or confessing agnosticism) believe in God and perhaps even in Jesus... some might believe a little in Buddha, etc... But I guess they are "None" because they don't have a name for their beliefs nor a weekly group to join.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Bible edges out Darwin as ‘most valuable to humanity’ in survey of influential books

Bible edges out Darwin as

Looks like religion is still relevant?

Wonder what the ranking would have been if ' 50 Shades of Gray' had been included as a choice.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,329,099 times
It's interesting how some folks can't distinguish between an overall pattern and anecdotal or local patterns. If the overall pattern suggests that religion is on the decline, trying to debunk it with the growth of your mega-church is a lot like someone taking you to an affluent gated community in 2009 and saying, "See? There is no recession!"

(I actually remember someone on a different forum saying, during the Christmas season of 2008, "Last time I went to the mall, the parking lot was full, so how can there be a recession?")

At any rate, you cannot judge national and global trends based on what happens down the street from you. If it were that easy, we wouldn't need the media any longer (including the news on the internet).

"Whaddya mean there have been 20,000 fatal car accidents last year? There've only been five accidents, none fatal, and they all happened at the intersection with the blinking yellow light in the center of town!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality