Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,105,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Shocked that this has not appeared yet, but the article speaks for itself. The question is: does science speak for the Bible?

So it appears that the Adam and Eve story was, at last investigation, accurate all along---if we leave out the silliness of the talking serpent and all the rest. It's just that the Bible was off by only...oh....say, 150,000 years, give or take?
I'm not entirely sure if I buy this.

They obviously only tested a handful of people, so to make a sweeping statement like 'we're all related' from that is jumping the gun a little bit.

I think there's incite in the idea behind it, but that's it. Odds are, all of us alive today share ancestry to a single tribe, or a handful of tribes (I use the term tribe to simply mean group by the way) of humans. The earliest humans would have struggled to survive being weaker and not fully intellectually gifted yet, so many likely died of. The ones who survived would be all of our ancestors, and that was probably a small number in the grand scheme of things.

All and all, I've always see Adam and Eve as a symbolic story regarding the nature of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,103,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
No intention of putting a lot of time into this but just for starters...
5 Signs Humans Are Still Evolving | Mental Floss
Did you read it?...A lot of speculative words are employed therein...

Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,103,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I'm not entirely sure if I buy this.

They obviously only tested a handful of people, so to make a sweeping statement like 'we're all related' from that is jumping the gun a little bit.

I think there's incite in the idea behind it, but that's it. Odds are, all of us alive today share ancestry to a single tribe, or a handful of tribes (I use the term tribe to simply mean group by the way) of humans. The earliest humans would have struggled to survive being weaker and not fully intellectually gifted yet, so many likely died of. The ones who survived would be all of our ancestors, and that was probably a small number in the grand scheme of things.

All and all, I've always see Adam and Eve as a symbolic story regarding the nature of humanity.
Well, Adam really is not a name, it is a noun...Ish Hebrew for Man and Isha Hebrew for Woman and Adawm Hebrew for Mankind...If I remember my biology correctly, the same chemicals that make up our bodies are the same chemicals in the ground and that is the reason that grown things contain the chemicals that replenish our bodies, IOW, it is our fuel...Without them we weaken and die...Without water, we wither...Interesting how our bodies are connected to the earth...

Old 11-29-2014, 09:06 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,868,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Shocked that this has not appeared yet, but the article speaks for itself. The question is: does science speak for the Bible?

So it appears that the Adam and Eve story was, at last investigation, accurate all along---if we leave out the silliness of the talking serpent and all the rest. It's just that the Bible was off by only...oh....say, 150,000 years, give or take?

In your persistent desperation to disprove anything Biblical, you give life to the old axiom about "any port in a storm." As it turns out, there are also numerous studies in mitochondrial research available to support the single-pair Adamic lineage AND a mathematically calculated world population of about 7-billion, based on the story of Noah.

Extract:
https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.co...ill-the-earth/
1. Population Growth – Could Noah Fill the Earth? | Bible-Science Guy
But about 4,500 years ago Noah’s Flood drowned almost everyone. Noah’s three sons and their wives repopulated the earth (Genesis 9:18-19). In 4,500 years there would be 30 doublings (4500/150 = 30), so those six people would grow to 6.4 billion. This is close to today’s world population of 7.1 billion.

Calculating the actual doubling time and growth rate since the Flood when the population grew from 6 people (Noah’s 3 sons and their 3 wives) to 7.1 billion people in 4,500 years, we get an average doubling time of 149 years and an average annual percentage growth rate of 0.465%.

Sidelight (another study):
Noah and Genetics - creation.com
On a related note, mitochondrial DNA evidence also support the distinct probability that the entire human race came from just two people over the past few thousand years (Just like the Bible says).

The Word of God is true!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,435,529 times
Do you visit earth much.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You do realize that the accounts in the Tanakh are not in tight chronological order?...IOW, there exists time spans between them...Taking the age of Adam on down is unreliable...I know how the scholars did this and people accepted it, but if you take a hard look at it, it is not what we have been taught...And how exactly do you calculate it?...These accounts were passed on orally for a long time before someone wrote them down...Do you really think that the Alephbet was given to Adam right in the beginning?...Similar to the Celts of Ireland, there was a person chosen to be the chronicler of his people, his job was to memorize genealogies and histories of his people and then teach another chosen to carry on the trade, eventually these chronicles were set to writing...Similar to a medieval Page, his job was to recite the history and genealogy of the Knight that he served...the Knight's Pedigree, if you will... The Tanakh wasn't coalesced into scrolls until much later, it was the jobs of the Kohanim and levites to pass on the oral traditions...So, how do we know that each account in the Tanakh wasn't from a different era and we are just assuming that because the books are one after the other that there is a tight chronological order that informs us of the age of mankind?...
You do realize dating the bible has been a project studied by countless scholars, far more educated in the subject than you or I.
The ones I mentioned are just two od countless attempts, that for some reason only vary by a few hundred years.

But of course, you know more about this than the church itself, maybe they should consult you for facts.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,456,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In your persistent desperation to disprove anything Biblical, you give life to the old axiom about "any port in a storm." As it turns out, there are also numerous studies in mitochondrial research available to support the single-pair Adamic lineage AND a mathematically calculated world population of about 7-billion, based on the story of Noah.

Extract:
https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.co...ill-the-earth/
1. Population Growth – Could Noah Fill the Earth? | Bible-Science Guy
But about 4,500 years ago Noah’s Flood drowned almost everyone. Noah’s three sons and their wives repopulated the earth (Genesis 9:18-19). In 4,500 years there would be 30 doublings (4500/150 = 30), so those six people would grow to 6.4 billion. This is close to today’s world population of 7.1 billion.

Calculating the actual doubling time and growth rate since the Flood when the population grew from 6 people (Noah’s 3 sons and their 3 wives) to 7.1 billion people in 4,500 years, we get an average doubling time of 149 years and an average annual percentage growth rate of 0.465%.

Sidelight (another study):
Noah and Genetics - creation.com
On a related note, mitochondrial DNA evidence also support the distinct probability that the entire human race came from just two people over the past few thousand years (Just like the Bible says).

The Word of God is true!
Isn't interesting we have widely differing dates for that first "Adam" and varying by 10's of thousands of years. Why? Because there is No legitimate scientific way to arrive at such dates, it is all speculation read back into the record based on ..... a belief in evolution.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM

Actually we did not have any accepted speculation on dates until it started to become public of the earths actual age, and this changed as it was studied more and more.

The official record was around 6000 years, and there was no disputing allowed, and naturally nobody had the knowledge to argue it.

Now as factual information is very public, the church has to bend their claims to fit in.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,311,376 times
Ah, people with no degrees in science trying to prove disprove science. How Quaint.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:06 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,311,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And what is your opinion?...
That the vast amount evidence shows the contrary. Mathematically speaking life is going to evolve in a slim portion or places and not evolve in most others. Eventually the right conditions are going to be met for it to happen. I suspect that even with the evidence being accepted universally a handful of people will always cling to the "God Donnit" argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality