Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 PM

527 posts, read 709,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Have you got a link to that particular factoid?
The more education people receive, the more religious they become? | Daily Mail Online

Are Well-Educated People Really Less Religious? - Universal Life Church Monastery Blog

Does More Educated Really = Less Religious?

No need to look even further - vast majority of our presidents (if not all) = highly educated and Christians. Yes, some early presidets/founding fathers were Deist (still believed in God).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Not true. People like you assume that people with high level of education means higher rate of atheism. Most wealthy and educated people are religious indeed.
Actually, it's not an assumption. It's a statistically proven fact proven based on various studies and recognized by our very own government (and supported by multiple government sources included the census data).

Religious people have:

Lower IQ
Higher rates of poverty
Higher murder rates
More crime participation
Higher divorce rates
Less generosity
Poor health

Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Actually, it's not an assumption. It's a fact proven by various studies and recognized by our very own government (and supported by various government sources included the census data).

Religious people have:

Lower IQ
Higher rates of poverty
Higher murder rates
More crime participation
Higher divorce rates
Less generosity
Poor health
^^ May apply to non-Christian religions yes. Not all religious people are Christians or act like a true Christian.

You forgot to mention that Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc. were militant atheists and murdered and persecuted millions of people in the name of atheism! Soviet Union ended 23 years ago only...

Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
^^ May apply to non-Christian religions yes. Not all religious people are Christians or act like a true Christian.

You forgot to mention that Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc. were militant atheists and murdered and persecuted millions of people in the name of atheism! Soviet Union ended 23 years ago only...
You're mentioning extremists. There are Christian extremists as well. But when it comes to the norm, the data doesn't lie.

All those states with significant religious followers are dominated by Christians. It's by large that Christians have:

Lower IQ
Higher rates of poverty
Higher murder rates
More crime participation
Higher divorce rates
Less generosity
Poor health

You can't argue with the data.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You're mentioning extremists. There are Christian extremists as well. But when it comes to the norm, the data doesn't lie.

All those states with significant religious followers are dominated by Christians. It's by large that Christians have:

Lower IQ
Higher rates of poverty
Higher murder rates
More crime participation
Higher divorce rates
Less generosity
Poor health

You can't argue with the data.

False

The data is bias, completely inaccurate and outdated. Anyhow, all of those may be regionally, or depend on culture and place a person grew up in. For example Christian Americans have poorer health than Christian Europeans on average. Christian Scandinavians are wealthier, more educated than a Christian from Africa.

You still ignore my links of sources and other facts.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:

You forget that the majority in the U.S. who identify as religious, identify that religion as Christian...and that the graph shown was for states in the U.S.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:

False

The data is bias, completely inaccurate and outdated. Anyhow, all of those may be regionally, or depend on culture and place a person grew up in. For example Christian Americans have poorer health than Christian Europeans on average. Christian Scandinavians are wealthier, more educated than a Christian from Africa.

You still ignore my links of sources and other facts.
(bolded, underlined) How so?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You forget that the majority in the U.S. who identify as religious, identify that religion as Christian...and that the graph shown was for states in the U.S.
2 billion Christians worldwide do not live in the USA....

Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
-One does need to be "born again" to be saved from the wrath of God.

-Matthew 10:34 34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

-Do you consider yourself a good person? Have you ever done anything wrong? Lied, cheated, stolen? If so, you're a hypocrite.

-Atheist societies have been violent too.
I feel like you think I'm an atheist. I'm not; I'm a proud Jew. And I know that atheist societies have been violent. But, so has every other society in this world.

I'm not a hypocrite. I have made mistakes, just like everyone else. But I don't think I'm a bad person. I admit when I'm wrong and apologize when necessary.

As for your doctrine, I find it ridiculous. If that's what Jesus believed, then he was a hypocrite. Jesus can't go around preaching love one moment, then say that he came to bring a sword and that anyone who's made a mistake is damned to Hell unless they follow him. That's using fear-mongering. Christianity has done this for thousands of years, and finally people are starting to wake up and run away from that crap. If you really think about what Jesus was preaching, it was no different than the beliefs of the Reform Jewish movement. As for your comment on the "wrath of G-d"...Judaism doesn't believe in Hell. We believe in a loving and forgiving G-d. Many Christians claim to believe in the same one, yet you preach that It will damn all non-believers to Hell, yada yada yada. Again, Protestant hypocrisy.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(bolded, underlined) How so?
Many of those sites and sources are so bias, and only survey few percentage of the population. Anyways it is a regional thing, and Christians (May God bless them) comes from very diverse background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality