Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nice try.
Well, what part of it have I got wrong? You said that anyone who claims to be a good human being is not telling the truth, because everyone has done at least one bad thing in their life. By that logic, it is impossible to be a good human being. If I'm misunderstanding something, what part have I got wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Well, can you (do right, no matter what)?
Of course not, as I am human.

Which I'm sure God realized when He made me, and/or which nature operates on.

That doesn't mean I deserve to fry in molten sulfur for an eternity (unless I know the magic password, i.e. "I believe Jesus is the savior"...magical thinking). That idea is a control measure...pure and simple. It takes something basic and true of ALL living beings and states that that basic trueness is damnation without adhering to a specific, man-made rule. The rule may as well have been "if you breathe air, then you can never get into heaven unless you believe in Jesus as Christ."

Once again. It is a (supposedly) fool-proof way of forcing people to adhere to a specific belief system. However, it's crumbling as people become less superstitious, and more educated - and less repressed, without the fear of being burned alive and hanged following days or weeks of torture, our belongings seized and our families tortured for punishment as well (or somewhat more recently, without the fear of being blacklisted from jobs, losing our friends and associates and being "frozen out" of our own communities). When all those systems were in place, PLUS the superstitious unquestioned fear of, well, being human, Christianity worked. It's not working as well now. Yet again. What does that say about hypocrisy?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:02 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Well, what part of it have I got wrong? You said that anyone who claims to be a good human being is not telling the truth, because everyone has done at least one bad thing in their life. By that logic, it is impossible to be a good human being. If I'm misunderstanding something, what part have I got wrong?
I did NOT say that. Please re-read.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:

-Do you consider yourself a good person? Have you ever done anything wrong? Lied, cheated, stolen? If so, you're a hypocrite.
Quote:
I did NOT say that. I said everyone, atheists included, are hypocrites. Anyone who claims to be good, but does bad, is a hypocrite.
Quote:
I did NOT say that. Please re-read.
I've re-read it several times, and it still reads the same way to me every time. Anyone who ever does anything bad is not really a good person. Maybe that's not what you're trying to say, but that is one of the things you're saying, man.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I've re-read it several times, and it still reads the same way to me every time. Anyone who ever does anything bad is not really a good person. Maybe that's not what you're trying to say, but that is one of the things you're saying, man.
To be clear...

Earlier, someone said Christians (or religious people) are hypocrites. I say, everyone is a hypocrite at some point. To pin that title on Christians only is to deny reality.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
There are nearly 2.2 billion Christians around the world, making up about one-third of the world's population - the same percentage as a century ago, according to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

I would dare say that the view there sticks a fork in the "slight decline" theory. It's in rapid decline in the Western world and rapid growth in the Developing world. In 50-70 years they will experience the same decline that we are now.
Not true. People like you assume that people with high level of education means higher rate of atheism. Most wealthy and educated people are religious indeed.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Not true. People like you assume that people with high level of education means higher rate of atheism. Most wealthy and educated people are religious indeed.
Have you got a link to that particular factoid?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:31 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It's not an assumption, but a fact. The most educated a society the less religious it tends to be.
Not necessary true. Less religious does not mean non-Christian or atheism necessary.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
To be clear...

Earlier, someone said Christians (or religious people) are hypocrites. I say, everyone is a hypocrite at some point. To pin that title on Christians only is to deny reality.
Then I apologize, because evidently it was a contextual misunderstanding.

But I agree - everyone is a hypocrite at some time in their lives. It would not be fair at all to assign that characteristic exclusively to Christians.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Then I apologize, because evidently it was a contextual misunderstanding.

But I agree - everyone is a hypocrite at some time in their lives. It would not be fair at all to assign that characteristic exclusively to Christians.
I bid you a good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality