Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Seriously people, who really believes this?

It's OK to be religious, but this is over the top wack-a-doo bat poop crazy.

80 Million Americans Believe God Will Decide The Super Bowl | Addicting Info

Also from that article:

"....roughly 59% of Americans believe dreams can foretell the future, 52% believe in ghosts, 21% believe in Bigfoot and 17% believe fortune tellers can foresee the future."

Is it any wonder the USA is falling behind in science and scientific understanding?

Unbelievable, but oh so sad.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
God will decide the Super Bowl.

Why? Because God answers prayers. Americans pray for stupid stuff.

Therefore, it's not stupid or superstition, it's simple logic. As long as Americans keep praying "please God let my team win" then yea, it'll happen.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Sports culture (factionalism and competition) is a big part of religion, has always been, even in Ancient Greece and Rome. A bunch of "curse" and "luck/prayer" talismans have been found, dealing with things like people pleading to Jesus, Athena, and Hercules even all three together, to help their team out, and then on the other side (or something) promising Hades or Jupiter to sacrifice a chicken if the competing team lost.

The Pompa was the prayer/religious saying at the begging of the games. The graceful death was a ritual that gladiators were taught to perform so that the viewers could see their throat slit if they lost their battle.

Quote:
Politics, religion and sport combined into a dangerously explosive mixture ~ http://www.roman-empire.net/society/soc-games.html

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-27-2015 at 01:05 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
This actually has a lot to do with why I'm rooting for the Patriots. After last week's game, Russell Wilson said the reason he threw 4 interceptions was because god made him throw 4 interceptions in order to make him look even better when he came back to win the game. That's the instant I stopped being a Russell Wilson fan. Now I can't wait to see that babbling, blubbering moron get stomped into the turf, and then try to explain afterward why god suddenly turned against him.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
This actually has a lot to do with why I'm rooting for the Patriots. After last week's game, Russell Wilson said the reason he threw 4 interceptions was because god made him throw 4 interceptions in order to make him look even better when he came back to win the game. That's the instant I stopped being a Russell Wilson fan. Now I can't wait to see that babbling, blubbering moron get stomped into the turf, and then try to explain afterward why god suddenly turned against him.
Jesus wants to keep us entertained... "bread and circuses" perhaps. I hope Russell Wilson comes out to say he was only joking about God's insolvent in the entertainment business. "he builds them up, just to tear them down; he puts tribulation in their path, just to make things more interesting and further their careers." It would be sickening if it wasn't so pathetic.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:56 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
This is nuts! 80 million Americans believe god determines Superbowl.
And 80 million Americans are wrong. I choose the Super Bowl winner. Not God. Not anyone else. Me.

Yep, I really am that good.

Wanna know who wins? I haven't decided yet for starters. Secondly, I'm just a big jerk who refuses to tell anyone after I've made up my mind.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
God will decide the Super Bowl.

Why? Because God answers prayers. Americans pray for stupid stuff.

Therefore, it's not stupid or superstition, it's simple logic. As long as Americans keep praying "please God let my team win" then yea, it'll happen.
How does that logic go when both teams are praying for a win?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:10 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How does that logic go when both teams are praying for a win?
Maybe somebody in the Sports forum can figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality