Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:19 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,689,434 times

Advertisements

Compare and Contrast the Hegelian Dialectic with Religion. I know very little about this accept that the triad; thesis, antithesis and synthesis is mistakenly attributed to him. To live , then die, and return to life on a higher plain seems like what all religions are about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Cupper,

The flood was high enough to cover Mount Everest. That's why there is no high water mark on the pyramids.
Glad you added the smile.

Otherwise I may have thought you were serious.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Waterloo!! Yes!

'Sources' have noted Ney, on seeing his commander in chief distraught and discouraged in the last few waning hours of daylight on the bloodied field, described Napoleon's agonizing outburst as the last grand attack failed and he anguishly looked up to the sky, 'Constantine, oh Constantine where or where is my 'In Hoc Signo Vince's!'...Please note tbe Church has not verified this account!...;-)...
Sorry, the evidence doesn't support that. Ney as the army of the north broke and fled, was at the front trying to rally his troops. "See how a Marshal of France can die!" he bellowed beating his sabre on a British cannon.

Napoleon was on the other side of the battlefield at the time, in a square of the Old Guard.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Good one Liner! Response. The day the first Openly Atheist president gets elected, there will be one.
What would you celebrate? There weren't any "religious events" in atheism (usually what causes holidays).

Let's make up atheist holidays.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
What would you celebrate? There weren't any "religious events" in atheism (usually what causes holidays).

Let's.

Most will fall at about the same time as the current christian ones.

Do you have any idea why? The reason is is that most of those holidays or stolen to emulate the pagan ones that the new religion tried to replace.

You know. Like replacing Saturnalia with Christmas. Like replacing the spring equinox with Easter. Let's add the most celebrated holiday that pagans had, which was the summer solstice.

Any other ones you have concerns about that need replacing?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Compare and Contrast the Hegelian Dialectic with Religion. I know very little about this accept that the triad; thesis, antithesis and synthesis is mistakenly attributed to him. To live , then die, and return to life on a higher plain seems like what all religions are about.
I once did a paper on Hegel, arguing that the creation of the synthesis did not result in the elimination of the thesis and antithesis but merely shrunk them while moving each of them further away from the center. This preserved a constant moment arm around the fulcrum. (Think current US politics.) The title of the paper was "The Three Body Problem in Hegel". BTW my major was Applied Mathematics with an emphasis on engineering applications.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times
Quote:
Seriously, guys, get a life.

There's other religions out there: Buddhism, Shintoism, Paganism, etc. It seems like not a day goes by that isn't Christians vs Atheists, quibbling about something stupid.

I'd like to hear about samsara. Or the purpose behind Shinto ritual purity. Or anything else.

If Jesus were here today, I wonder how he'd feel about pushy jerks using his name.

So seriously. Let's talk about something else. Topic?
Good luck with that. Every now and then one of us non-Christians will post something, but we tend to either get ignored or everyone just assumes were some type of Christian they're not used to.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nakedness, My son, is a mundane Human concept. The human conventions of gods and goddesses being dressed in the fashion of the time is frankly ludicrous. The question is not whether His Noodleness, the sauce of all goodness (Parmezan be upon him) goeth naked but whether at any time He feels the need to drape his noodly appendages in the fruit of the loom. In fact I believe there is an ultra -orthodox sect of Pastafarians ("The Only Real Noodles" I believe they are called) who claim that to mix Bolognese sauce with animal fibre is an abomination.

Hey, I just took the time to read this posting of yours from beginning to end. Some very clever and witty lines there!!! I'm going to usurp them for for my OWN usage (to add to my enormous stable of jokes, quips, and one-liners)!!! Who do I make out the royalty cheque to for this comic material?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Let's.

Most will fall at about the same time as the current christian ones.

Do you have any idea why? The reason is is that most of those holidays or stolen to emulate the pagan ones that the new religion tried to replace.

You know. Like replacing Saturnalia with Christmas. Like replacing the spring equinox with Easter. Let's add the most celebrated holiday that pagans had, which was the summer solstice.

Any other ones you have concerns about that need replacing?
We need some summer holidays aside from just the 4th of July. All of the major holidays are crammed into the crappy winter months.

While we're at it, let's scrap Valentine's Day and the most puke-inducing "holiday" of them all: Sweetest Day.

Let's replace it with a summer holiday for atheists called, "Let's Take A Few Days Off Work For No Real Reason Days." And yeah, it actually would be a couple of days - a four-day weekend, for instance. You MUST have some kind of fun on these four days - no cleaning out the garage, no mowing the yard, no "honey-do" lists. Nope. You have fun in whatever endeavor is fun for you. And if you think cleaning out the garage is fun, you can instead use this holiday time to seek psychological help.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:

I'm reluctant to do that... as the French revolution already did it. Temples of reason. Intellectual freedom day, Logic day. Darwinist summer camps. Freedom from religion day, Thanks for nothing -giving. Creationist book -burnings. Harry -Pottermass...

No, I'd rather not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality