Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do they have the right to do so? Sure? But for the life of me, I can't imagine why one's life is so small that they have to do this sort of nonsense.
Which is nonsense, the reason station or the prayer station?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Isn't this interesting. An atheist has been given permission to set up a "reason station" on government property:

Judges approves settlement to give atheist access to Warren City Hall | News - Home

So here is a clear case of an atheist distributing his propaganda on public government property. Now before you jump to the fact that a "prayer station" was allowed on the same property, let me inject by saying I have no problem with this ruling. This atheist station should be allowed in fairness according to the law.

But if atheists are going to demand that Christians can not have any display of faith on public property then they should lose the right to distribute their material. It's either all or nothing.
Were you hoping we wouldn't read the article?

The atheist and Christians were doing the same thing, just talking about different subjects. It sounds like both wanted to discuss. I may be bias, but the Christians likely were just pulling out circular logic from the Bible while the atheists were discussing theories. From my experience, it's quite common for Christians who wish to hold public forums to usually resort to 'well, the Bible says' when no other answer is available, which is much closer to propaganda than sighting the work of philosophers or scientists.

And for fairness, I'm well aware that many Christians often do discuss intellectually. However, it's rare to see it happen in public spaces. I've only ever seen discussions in churches or more private events. But that's my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
You are basing your position merely on your opinion that such beliefs are irrational. I find belief in God quite rational. It explains to me why there is evil in the world, why everyone is different, and that my life has meaning, not just some randomly generated resource consumer.

Even if our beliefs really turn out to be completely false, is it really a good thing to take away ppl's hope in life like the hope that they will see their loves ones again someday? Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
I want to see my lost loved ones again too. It's a natural human desire. I want to believe too.

Unfortunately, humans have learned how to use the desire to believe to gain followers. If someone can gain followers, they can gain money, control, and political power. That's what religion is: it's a manipulation of human emotional vulnerability for power and profit. Cults do the same thing, just on a smaller scale.

Religions like Christianity and Islam sell you the idea of a happy afterlife where you are reunited with your lost loved ones. That's the "bait."

But here's the problem: the characteristics of an afterlife are limited only by your imagination. Logically, an afterlife could just as easily be "your worst nightmare" as it could be "heaven." Religions like Christianity and Islam figured this out a long time ago. Promise heaven for those who obey and hell for those who do not (and hell for everyone outside of the religion). The hope of heaven is the "bait." The threat of hell for doubt and disobedience is the "switch." Convince people that heaven and hell are real and you own them for life.

I don't want to see you (or anyone else) taken advantage of. If atheists seem angry, it's because we see people who are being manipulated for a profit. Worse, children are indoctrinated with these ideas before they are old enough to think for themselves. And deeply religious parents actually think they are protecting their children by teaching them that hell is a real danger. And when they grow up, they end up teaching their children the same horrific stuff. And so it goes, from generation to generation.

I'm not asking you for money. I personally have nothing to gain or lose from your beliefs. But religious leaders sure do. Their livelihood depends on your belief. If everyone doubted, they'd be destitute.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
If you actually read the article you see that they also let a church run a "prayer station." No one's discriminating against Christians here nor are they prohibiting them from setting up anything there. The fact they're letting a church group have a prayer station says you shouldn't have a problem with the atheist setting up a reason station. If you let Christians set up a prayer station then you have to allow anyone of any other faith or lack of faith do the same. The fact you have a problem with this says more about your own hypocrisy. You keep posting all this prattle that you think make atheists look like hypocrites trying to squash religion out of America when this is simply not the case and the fact the actual story is never what you say it is says that you are the only one distributing propaganda.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

It would be better, IMO, if religious groups were not using government property to proselytize in the first place. Then there wouldn't be atheist groups demanding "equal time."
It's not unusual for churches in my area to set up chairs in their parking lots/buildings and invite people to come if they want/need prayer. They put up signs that say, "Need Prayer?" with arrows and directions to the church. Church volunteers sit and pray with whomever comes by. Drive up prayer. No muss. No fuss. Anyone can stop for prayer..... or keep on driving to Target.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The reason fundavangelists get their panties in a swivet over this kind of story is simple:

They fear knowledge. They fear Science because it values rationality and believing in biblical inerrancy absolutely requires the suspension of rationality.

Can you say "conflict" boys and girls?

How about "cognitive dissonance?"

I knew you could!!

Which is why I am so impressed with and proud of people who manage to shrug off those chains that bind one to superstitious nonsense. It's not unlike an alcoholic gaining and maintaining sobriety. I applaud all who succeed in such an endeavour and extend my sympathy to those struggling to escape.

Last edited by TroutDude; 02-24-2015 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Added preposition. It insisted.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I understand that clinging to your irrationality gives you some comfort - in case the bliss runs a little low.
I understand that your irrationality gives you some comfort in believing that you are free to sin all you want.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
I understand that your irrationality gives you some comfort in believing that you are free to sin all you want.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Jeff,

It simply isn't true that non-religious people have no morals.

Isn't it more virtuous to be a good person without the carrot of heaven and the stick of hell?

Look at places like Japan and northern Europe. Those places are highly secular and have managed to remain civilized and prosperous.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Silly man. As if that is the motivation for atheism. Or as if there were any evidence that Christians "sin" less than other groups, or that atheists "sin" more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality