Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Don't believe it? Read Mark 10:18.

Jesus explicitly states that the only good one is god, and not him.

And yes it is in context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Yes--he said no one is good...except God. But can you show me where he said he isn't God?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:

Religious dogmatists will make up all manner of nonsensical rationalizations to evade your point cupper3. Don't bother giving their silly dodges the respect of consideration.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Religious dogmatists will make up all manner of nonsensical rationalizations to evade your point cupper3. Don't bother giving their silly dodges the respect of consideration.
Or maybe he should actually read what is printed there without reading his assumptions into the text.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Or maybe he should actually read what is printed there without reading his assumptions into the text.
Sure.

Here it is for all to read:

10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
The statement being discussed does not solve the problem of whether or not Jesus identified himself as god.

It is certainly open to interpretation. It could mean that only god is good and Jesus is saying that as a consequence they shouldn't call him god, or it could mean that Jesus is wanting the apostles to make the proper assumption...that if they think he is good, and only god is good, therefore he must be god.

Throughout the New Testament, there are no unambiguous passages where Jesus settles this question clearly, he never comes right out and states..."I am god" nor does he ever make it clear that he isn't.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is certainly open to interpretation.
That's the magic of mythology.

Something that was actually true would be reproducibly demonstrable.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Sure.

10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
He's asking them why THEY called him good. He claimed in scripture to be God...he knew he was God...and was making the point that if they were calling him "good"...they were calling him God. There were several passages in the Gospel of John alone where he said "I AM" -- alluding to God's calling himself "I AM" to Moses. At one point the Pharisees even picked up stones to stone him because he claimed to be God. He claimed it, and they knew it.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:04 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Sure.
You cannot reason with unreasoning credulity, cupper. There is no "there" there.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Sure.

I have to say that I wonder whether this isn't a 'David's son' point. The point of David's son seems to say that the messiah can't be the son of David. That is odd unless the reader is invited to understand that Jesus as man is the son of king David (his line), but David (by prophecy) says that the Lord (God) said something to David's Lord (the messiah in heaven), who is Jesus.

Thus, I wonder whether the idea is that the reader is invited to understand that that if Jesus is called 'Good', and only God is 'Good', then Jesus must be God. Or at least inhabited by the spirit of God.

Of course, as the quote is from Mark, he might be saying that he isn't God. Interesting discussion point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality