Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Comment like this only support my belief that atheists hate God.
An atheist does not believe that any god exists, so why would you conclude that an atheist hates god? I do not believe in the tooth fairy, does that mean I hate the tooth fairy? Do you?

You need to get a new belief, your present one is devoid of sense.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Because of the separation of church and state, schools are supposed to help develop critical thinking skills not tied to religious belief.
Religion isn't morality.

Quote:
You know... something about the common good so we can all live together and function as a cooperative society in a democracy.
Making decisions in the interest of the common good is a reflection of morality, even when it flies in the face of logic because there is a higher priority.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Your grandparents sound wonderful. I hope you had the opportunity to spend time with them and get to know them well. I love these kinds of stories about unsung heroes. ...wish I could rep you now.
Thank you. I did get to know my grandmother who lived to be 96 and was a force of nature to the end. (She booked a trip to Hawaii to celebrate turning 90.)

Sadly, my grandfather died in his fifties because of the affects of being gassed in the war. My sole memory of him is sitting next to him on a bench watching a baseball game. I had the opportunity, however, to meet many of his former students at a reunion in the 90's. I had the blessing of listening to grey-haired men and women from the Greatest Generation tell stories about what he'd done for them. And how grateful they were to him.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Pointless debate because you are equating mankind's status in reality with God. If our sense of human morality comes from God then how can man come up with a more moral solution to the problem than God? That is the epitome of human arrogance.
It sounds like you are saying that it is ok for your God to kill babies, but it's not ok for someone else's God to kill babies. Is that what you are saying?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Bold words, but at the end of the day, you still have no proof that God does not exist.
Are you seriously using the Negative Proof Fallacy (Google it) to prove that your God exists? One could prove the existence of anything with a Negative Proof. There's no proof that we aren't all living in The Matrix, for example.

Quote:
I have dozens of proofs to support my faith.
Let's hear some of these proofs.

Quote:
You have nothing but wishful thinking.
Wishful thinking? You're the one who believes in a Pie in the Sky when You Die, without any evidence to back it up. Atheists generally believe that this "nasty, brutish, and short" life is all we will ever get.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
You take away faith and you see increases in violence and suicide.
Where did you pull that one from? Actually the least religious countries, like denmark and the like, are the least crime ridden and highest per capita charity. You are entitled to your own opinions of course, but not your own facts. Stop making things up just because you WANT them to be true.

Further you would need to learn the difference between correlation and causation if you want to play statistics with the grown ups. I am trained in this if you need any education on the matter.

Quote:
Not really hard to see. It is the hopelessness of atheism.
And what is that meant to mean exactly? Making things up again?

Quote:
Logic and reason do not resolve issues of morality.
Wow you are keen to keep making things up on this thread arent you? Actually logic and reason are the ONLY ways to adequately resolve moral decisions. Short of tossing a coin. If you turn off logic and reason what else have you got? Blind credulity and mindless submission? You can keep that for a start.

Quote:
You mean like atheists who just say "hey it's the law, follow it!" ? Black and white indeed.
Except, as usual, you are simply making things up and representing them by your imagination and ignoring the facts. While I agree that one should follow law, we do not JUST say that. We ALSO say if you disagree with a law challange it, campaign against it, have it repealed. That is a LOT more than just saying "follow it". But of course that does not suit the anti atheist narrative you have, so you pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Bold words, but at the end of the day, you still have no proof that God does not exist.
That is just because you do not understand (or pretend not to, which I think is more likely) Philosophy 101 and the concept of proving a negative. You have no evidence there is a god. At all.

Quote:
I have dozens of proofs to support my faith.
Really? Great. Show us some then. Because I have been asking you for some for months and guess how much I have got off you? Exactly none. None. At. All. You are all talk. You got nothing.

Put your money where your mouth is. Give us all this proof you have. You never have yet. Just. Hot. Air.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
An atheist does not believe that any god exists, so why would you conclude that an atheist hates god? I do not believe in the tooth fairy, does that mean I hate the tooth fairy? Do you?

You need to get a new belief, your present one is devoid of sense.
I don't believe in the tooth fairy either, but I also don't spend every day ranting and raving against it either.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It sounds like you are saying that it is ok for your God to kill babies, but it's not ok for someone else's God to kill babies. Is that what you are saying?
I am saying that the Creator and the creation are not the same and equal

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously using the Negative Proof Fallacy (Google it) to prove that your God exists? One could prove the existence of anything with a Negative Proof. There's no proof that we aren't all living in The Matrix, for example.

Let's hear some of these proofs.

Umm no. You can't convince someone who has hardened their heart against God. I could give you video evidence of an angel descending from the heavens, and you would find some way to dispute it.

Quote:

Wishful thinking? You're the one who believes in a Pie in the Sky when You Die, without any evidence to back it up. Atheists generally believe that this "nasty, brutish, and short" life is all we will ever get.
Isn't it interesting that atheists feel the need to use condescending terminology when referring to God like "pie in the sky" or "sky fairy". I don't think I've even seen some type of labels given to any other religion. Only Christianity. More evidence of hostility against God and the Bible. I have all the evidence I need. Seek God with all your heart, and you will find him. He's not going to bother with people who hate Him though. I wouldn't either.

Bottom line, mankind has been trying to destroy Christianity since the Roman times. They fail every time. Christianity might be suppressed, but it will never go away.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
I don't believe in the tooth fairy either, but I also don't spend every day ranting and raving against it either.
Thats because the tooth fairy is not used to influence our halls of power, education and science, no one is actively trying to convert others to toothfairyism, no one is doing horrific things in the name of the tooth fairy, no one is geting tax free status for thinking there is a tooth fairy, there are no violent disputes between believers in different version of the tooth fairy, the tooth fairy is not being cited to support bigotry and hatred, and no one is killing anyone for the "crime" of drawing a picture of the tooth fairy.

Needless to say I could go on at great length, but suffice to say that the reason no one has an issue with the tooth fairy, is no cause for us to have issue with it has been given.

Quote:
Umm no. You can't convince someone who has hardened their heart against God.
Ah yes. One of the most common cop outs we hear from people of faith. "I have loads of evidence but I will not be giving it you because....." and then you insert an excuse like "I could not be bothered" or "You would not understand it anyway" or in your case here "Because your heart is too hard.

Its always "I have the evidence but...." from you and your cohorts on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality