Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

The other thread that mentioned the Ten Commandments got me to thinking about one commandment in particular and that is the observance of the Sabbath. It clearly states that absolutely no work should be done on the Sabbath which of course virtually everyone ignores. If we followed this commandment it would mean shutting down hospitals, fire departments, police departments, all military activity, and every other essential service that all of us depend on. And of course it would also mean the closing of every grocery store, gas station and every other business activity and would also not allow people to even do any work around the house. Without any doubt that is exactly what that commandment is telling us to do and yet no one follows it. It even states in the Bible that people who violate this commandment should be stoned to death so it's telling Christians that if they were to observe someone working on the Sabbath it would be their duty to kill them. I'm not sure if stoning someone to death is considered to be work and might have to be postponed until Monday, the Bible doesn't clarity that fine point but it makes it very clear that God considers this to be one of the ten worst sins that anyone can commit and yet it's virtually ignored in this day and age. So do Christians get to pick and choose which of God's laws they're going to follow and why is this one ignored but no one cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
When I was a child I remember my friend coming over to my house and seeing that I was painting the porch steps. This wasn't something I was told to do, but I wanted to do it and it was fun. She told me that I wasn't supposed to be working on the sabbath. They were Methodists. Her mom wouldn't even cook on that day. Dinner was made the night before. It will be interesting to see how Christians view this today, but I know that they will just get around it. In small town America many stores still close on Sundays, but I can bet you that almost all Christians work at home on that day. Of course Wallie World is always open. So it wasn't just businesses, it was your own work at home.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 PM

From a purely practical point of view society just can't skip a day and do nothing. That would mean that if you were involved in a serious car accident on the Sabbath that the ambulance wouldn't be able to assist you until the next day which of course is ridiculous and even the most devout Christian must recognize this fact. Nevertheless, The Bible doesn't talk about any grey areas in which maybe it's ok to work on the Sabbath, it's forbidden and is considered to be such a priority that it's included in the Ten Commandments while other behavior which seem much more sinful like having slaves isn't even mentioned at all.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
In Israel they observe the Sabbath... so they must have some kind of a system wherein emergencies personnels are available on those days but not in violation of the Law.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM

wilvan wrote:
Quote:
In Israel they observe the Sabbath... so they must have some kind of a system wherein emergencies personnels are available on those days but not in violation of the Law.
I'm not familiar with the Jewish version of the Ten Commandments or if they even have them but judging from your post it sounds like they have a similar law. I'm the only one in my family who hasn't been to Israel but I would like to go there someday. Of course Israel is always facing the threat of violence and couldn't simply take a day off but what I'm trying to say is that at least in the Christian faith that working on the Sabbath is clearly forbidden and I don't see how someone who believes in following the Bible can just ignore that fact and yet that's exactly what virtually all Christians do.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Christ showed an example that necessary work was not to be neglected on the Sabbath..So in my opinion there is nothing to prevent hospitals, firefighters, etc from working...If they follow the Sabbath laws..

Matthew 12:1,2 At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.

Most people honor the Sabbath by going tochurch and having a rest day to renew themselves both spiritually and physically..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
From a purely practical point of view society just can't skip a day and do nothing. That would mean that if you were involved in a serious car accident on the Sabbath that the ambulance wouldn't be able to assist you until the next day which of course is ridiculous and even the most devout Christian must recognize this fact. Nevertheless, The Bible doesn't talk about any grey areas in which maybe it's ok to work on the Sabbath, it's forbidden and is considered to be such a priority that it's included in the Ten Commandments while other behavior which seem much more sinful like having slaves isn't even mentioned at all.

skip a day, no. but do "nothing"? come over here and see!!
old europe took time to and hopefully keeps it that way!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:45 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
No, because I do not believe we are under the law of the OT. The Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Christ showed an example that necessary work was not to be neglected on the Sabbath..So in my opinion there is nothing to prevent hospitals, firefighters, etc from working...If they follow the Sabbath laws..

Matthew 12:1,2 At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.

Most people honor the Sabbath by going tochurch and having a rest day to renew themselves both spiritually and physically..
Great post.
Or referring to Luke 14:5 When our ox are in a ditch.

I'm thinking that Christians who think it is a 'Sunday thing'....are missing the point. Being a Christian is worshiping God with our life (actions) on a DAILY baisis. I'm not saying church on Sunday or whatever day isn't important....but it doesn't seal the deal. Lots of people go to church on Sunday and then don't live it the rest of the week.

As far as the thread topic....I don't think Christians should demand any business should be closed on Sunday. I just think they should withhold their money so business' will decide to close and their employees will be able to go to church if they choose to.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
No, because I do not believe we are under the law of the OT. The Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday.
Ok, so then you just admitted the Ten Commandments are no longer relevant. Cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality