Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM

260 posts, read 230,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No I don't. 2 Peter 3:8-9 "But you must not forget dear friends, that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise to return, as some people think, no He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so He is giving more time for everyone to repent".
Ahh...I know that would come up, but read the context again. People were clearly mocking the Christan community about this supposed return of their Jesus. In the first book of Peter, the writer was confident he and his audience was living in the "last times." Now in the second book, people brought it to the forefront. "Where's this Jesus you guys claim should have been back by now?" In classic spin and damage control, the writer says something to this effect.

"Hey...um...er, Jesus has not shown up yet because God is waiting for more people to become saved (overlooking the fact that on any given day more people end up going to hell than heaven as per Christian teaching). In fact, while you think he is taking too long, remember, 1 day is like a thousand years to God and a thousand years like 1 day."

Considering the above, as per God's reckoning, we have only gone past 2 days in the past 2,000 years so I guess we have a lot more waiting to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
I believe those hints are there to prepare us as the time grows closer. When the time is right Jesus will return for His children and I'm ready.
But this appears to me to be a very passive approach, which isn't what the Christ wanted for us at all. The Christ wants us to wake up, get off our lazy passive behinds waiting for someone else to do it for us and instead build our own kingdom here and now in this very lifetime, that is what heaven on earth here and now is all about. It is when we outgrow the nursery school type dependency on an "all powerful" savior, and mature instead into someone willing to cultivate the Christ within, recognize and act on our own divinity within. That is the path Christ was laying out for us if we choose to take it.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Jesus will never return...but keep fooling yourselves.
Right on!!! I love the stuck in traffic too. I love how the Christians do not understand that JESUS told his disciples that he would return in their lifetime. So the First Christians believed Jesus would come back around 70 a.d.. I imagine he is a little late but that is ok because he told people he would rise from the dead in 3 days and nights and he did it in 2. I guess as god son you can not get every thing right. It is not like he is perfect.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Right on!!! I love the stuck in traffic too. I love how the Christians do not understand that JESUS told his disciples that he would return in their lifetime. So the First Christians believed Jesus would come back around 70 a.d.. I imagine he is a little late but that is ok because he told people he would rise from the dead in 3 days and nights and he did it in 2. I guess as god son you can not get every thing right. It is not like he is perfect.
Indeed. Objective perspective is everything and that is something severely lacking.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM

238 posts, read 624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
R...he told people he would rise from the dead in 3 days and nights and he did it in 2...
Actually, Jesus said, " On the third day..." not "In three days and nights." He did exactly what He said He would.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 PM

364 posts, read 766,043 times
Did Jesus Wrongly Predict a First Century Return in Matthew 24:34?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 PM

HistoryasIS, can I get a cliff notes on that please or better yet, your opinion on the subject?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
No I don't. 2 Peter 3:8-9 "But you must not forget dear friends, that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise to return, as some people think, no He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so He is giving more time for everyone to repent".
Will Jesus think it's time when 90% of the world's population believes in him? Or, being the compassionate soul that he is, will he wait until every person (100%) on Earth waits on him? About how much longer should we expect to wait?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Will Jesus think it's time when 90% of the world's population believes in him? Or, being the compassionate soul that he is, will he wait until every person (100%) on Earth waits on him? About how much longer should we expect to wait?
Maybe He's waiting for you

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I once posted something in regards to this just for fun. If we have to go by Christian reckoning, since time began, the overwhelming majority of people who have walked this earth have gone on to and will go on to roast in hell. Here's a short list:

1. The ancient Egyptians
2. The ancient Assyrians
3. The ancient Babylonians
4. The ancient Persians
5. The ancient Greeks
6. The ancient Romans
7. All the Canaanite peoples
8. All the old fart Israelites who died in the wilderness
9. All Meso-American civilizations
10. The overwhelming majority of Africans
11. All pre-Christian Europeans
12. All the folks in the Far East/Orient
13. Pre-Christian American natives
14. Folks in the South Pacific
15. All the biblical "ites"
16. All the non TRUE Christians (Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons or anyone else not of your persuasion, etc)

That's a lot of lost souls folks! Yet God is NOT willing that any should perish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality