Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, you have demonstrated no such thing. You have only expressed your OPINION of such.
If you have such a system, please explain.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
How do you figure? A community, or tribe decides was is acceptable or not. Rape is a crime of power.

In Robinson's world rape is acceptable because the parents are atheist. He wishes to demonstrate his power in his sick fantasy. Would he say the same for Christian children?

He has choice, and I can choose to object.
What happens if someone from another community or tribe comes in and does such an act?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You Jeff and justtitans have all ignored my question, if morality needs to be absolutely universal why does that not include temporal as well as spatial?
I can't say that I've seen such a question. Could you elaborate? What do you mean? Have we suggested that it was not spatial or temporal?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If you have such a system, please explain.
I have been on this forum for half a year and have read it explained several times. Guess none of them were of your standard that it must of been your god.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
I can't say that I've seen such a question. Could you elaborate? What do you mean? Have we suggested that it was not spatial or temporal?
Posts 31 and 45

Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
What happens if someone from another community or tribe comes in and does such an act?

And when someone responds, he will follow up with more inane questions....

Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Posts 31 and 45
I would suggest you check out post 47, where I answered that. And perhaps you should make a point to look for an answer before you claim we are dodging you.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:30 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,747,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sure we do. We have the right because we are human beings who have the ability to form and hold opinions on morality. We need neither you, nor Phil Robertson, to tell us whether or not they are valid.

The rapist is wrong. (As are the idiotic, hateful things Phil Robertson manages to spout.)

There. That was easy.
And why is it wrong? Because you say so? Because society says so? Because it's against the law? IF the answer is yes then your morality derives mostly from culture. Apart from culture, if I am to believe that we are born with a clear sense of right and wrong then why do men commit evil deeds? Why do we have countless examples of men raping when the cultural and legal barrier is removed like in times of war huh? Why didn't their moral compass stop them? Take away the legal and cultural barriers, and would you still easily be able to say X is wrong if doing X gave you some form of enjoyment?

Bullying is a great example. We probably can all agree that bullying is wrong, but kids do it because the culture allows it and it gives them a form of enjoyment even at the expense of crushing a peer's sense of self worth or even driving them to suicide. But if we are born with a moral compass outside of religion, kids should not be doing it period, right?

On a side note, if you dig deeper then you start to see how evolutionary theory falls apart at the cracks since other animal species certainly don't struggle with moral issues. If man is just another form of animal, we shouldn't have moral conflicts either.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,999,497 times
Quote:
You Jeff and justtitans have all ignored my question, if morality needs to be absolutely universal why does that not include temporal as well as spatial?
Who said that it's temporary? What right is right and what wrong is wrong. There is no condition to morality. Stoning adulterers has nothing to do with morality.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And why is it wrong? Because you say so? Because society says so? Because it's against the law? IF the answer is yes then your morality derives mostly from culture. Apart from culture, if I am to believe that we are born with a clear sense of right and wrong then why do men commit evil deeds? Why do we have countless examples of men raping when the cultural and legal barrier is removed like in times of war huh? Why didn't their moral compass stop them? Take away the legal and cultural barriers, and would you still easily be able to say X is wrong if doing X gave you some form of enjoyment?

Bullying is a great example. We probably can all agree that bullying is wrong, but kids do it because the culture allows it and it gives them a form of enjoyment even at the expense of crushing a peer's sense of self worth or even driving them to suicide. But if we are born with a moral compass outside of religion, kids should not be doing it period, right?

On a side note, if you dig deeper then you start to see how evolutionary theory falls apart at the cracks since other animal species certainly don't struggle with moral issues. If man is just another form of animal, we shouldn't have moral conflicts either.
Jeff, I believe you have set a new record for the most wrong things said in three paragraphs.

Congratulations!

Of course, records are made to be broken and I'm sure one of your fellow fundavangelists will be taking aim at it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality