Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious about something. Atheists (if I understand correctly) believe that death is the end of our existence and that nothing more follows. When the bodily organs shut down and brain activity ceases, that's it. I realize that when you are convinced that this is how it is, it's difficult to try to imagine any other alternative. But try, if you can, to imagine that at the instant you died, you did not actually cease to exist but had full self-awareness and were as cognizant of your surroundings as you were at any time in your life. You realized that you no longer had a body, but that part of you that theists call your spirit was still fully alert and real.

What would your response be?
(I'm looking for serious answers, and I will report sarcasm and flippant responses.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Well I'll be damned!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
I'd be like ... "cool, I was hoping for something like this"

I'd probably be hoping it wasn't eternal. Living forever sounds like a drag.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Well I'll be damned!
Literally, like, "I'm screwed" or in a good way?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Very surprised. Will my dogs' spirits be there too?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM

750 posts, read 644,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'd be like ... "cool, I was hoping for something like this"

I'd probably be hoping it wasn't eternal. Living forever sounds like a drag.
just lol and smdh

Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm just curious about something. Atheists (if I understand correctly) believe that death is the end of our existence and that nothing more follows. When the bodily organs shut down and brain activity ceases, that's it. I realize that when you are convinced that this is how it is, it's difficult to try to imagine any other alternative. But try, if you can, to imagine that at the instant you died, you did not actually cease to exist but had full self-awareness and were as cognizant of your surroundings as you were at any time in your life. You realized that you no longer had a body, but that part of you that theists call your spirit was still fully alert and real.

What would your response be?
(I'm looking for serious answers, and I will report sarcasm and flippant responses.)
I don't know that that is what atheists necessarily believe. I've never quite understood why a disbelief in god necessitates a disbelief in 'spirit'.
If it turns out life doesn't end as such, I may well be delighted...with the caveat that I'd need to know more about it... do we get to meet out ancestors, our pets, famous people etc? I don't think that I want to be a spirit in isolation, or just be kind of floating about in the ether for eternity - I need more details. The truth is I don't think any of us can possibly know if there is a spirit world or not. I think it is unlikely, however I have a whole plethora of stories from friends and family about 'feelings' people have had after loved ones had died. I've had a few experiences like that myself, so I'm not necessarily ruling it out. I don't believe in an afterlife as such but I'm not ruling out some kind of 'imprint' left behind. That's the best I can explain it.
However, I live my life under the assumption that this is the only life you get, because that encourages you to cram more in and do better things with it. If I'm wrong than at least I'll have had a crammed life. If however I've been living under the assumption that I can just fit it in the afterlife so I wont bother now, then I think that's a waste.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Very surprised. Will my dogs' spirits be there too?
You're asking me that -- like I'd know. According to my belief, absolutely.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
just lol and smdh
Why? - do you want to live forever.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
I just wake up and am aware of my surrounding?

Well, I guess that depends where I'm at. If you mean like my spirit just falls out of my body and the spirit is in the world as I left it, I guess that'd be cool. I could watch humanity progress. I feel like eventually I'd get bored.

Question: when I'm a ghost (that may as well be what I call it in that particularly scenario), can I fly? If not, the experience would be horrendously boring.

Now, if I wake up in some kind of heaven, that'd be different. While I think the idea of what heaven looks like will be different for every person, I'd like it to be (assuming it's real) a place a lot like Earth, but more diverse and pure. I'd also like it to have an option to 'watch' over Earth. And maybe an option to be reborn; depends how exciting heaven is.

Or if I'm reincarnated; that'd be cool.

Or maybe what happens when we die is so incredibly absurd that no one's even thought it up yet. Who knows. No one. Literally know one. I don't necessarily consider myself atheist, but I wouldn't say I'm totally sold on one religion either. Each religion has it's strong points, and as a guy, Jesus seemed to have a pretty good philosophy on life. But is there a god? Who knows. I hope so sometimes, but I also hope the Bible (or whatever text) got some details wrong and there's some mystery to who this guy truly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality