Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:13 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I know it is the purpose of some religions to persuade others (in some way) to join their religion. But what about atheists? As on these forums, I see professed atheists often posting arguments against religious folk, and I don't witness too much religious tolerance, actually. My only conclusions so far are:

1. Atheism is also a religion with its own sets of beliefs and guidelines (even books they adhere to such as scientific theories)
2. Atheists try to persuade others with their arguments, thus making atheists evangelists
3. Atheists wish to abolish other forms of beliefs, just as some religious people (like Islamists) do

I really don't see much of a difference, so I classify Atheism as a religion. Is this wrong? If so, why?
Because the common denominator in all true religions is some belief in or appeal to, the supernatural. Belief in the supernatural doesn't appeal to atheists at all, as a rule.

Call me when you notice atheists going door to door or televangelizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
The OP strikes me as someone who really knows nothing of atheists, or atheism and hasn't bothered to educate him/herself.

Just runnin' with what them-there tv fundavangelists are allatime sayin' about them godless satan's spawn.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:25 AM

130 posts, read 160,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The OP strikes me as someone who really knows nothing of atheists, or atheism and hasn't bothered to educate him/herself.

Just runnin' with what them-there tv fundavangelists are allatime sayin' about them godless satan's spawn.
Exactly. There's such a "gotcha" tone to so many of these posts and then when the points are swiftly refuted, OP slinks backward into the hedges like that Simpsons gif.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
everyone pretty much nailed it.

By definition "atheism" is not any more religious then most other beliefs. people make it look like it is. People turn their beliefs into actions that look an awful like a religion. I am starting to see, because I always look for a "bottom line", the distinction between the two seems to lay in the emotional connection to a stance or against a stance a person has. The deeper the emotional need the more life the belief takes on. real or imagined.

That's why many people will not move the support structure for a belief from qualitative descriptors into quantitative descriptors ... It Hurts ... when "you" are just not that important. Derpression for some.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I don't know enough. That's why I'm asking.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
In that case there are three primary things you should know about atheists right from the get-go. First, atheists do not "know" that there is no God. Knowing things to a perfect certainty is a superpower no human possesses. Atheists doubt the existence of God the same way we doubt the existence of Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Second, atheists are not Satanists. The concept of Satan is something that believers have dreamed up to frighten themselves into continuing to believe their own superstitious nonsense. It has nothing to do with atheists. And third, as I already mentioned, atheism is NOT a religious belief. It is the utter lack of any religious beliefs.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
You could learn a lot by spending a week or two reading old threads in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, keeping your mind open to what people have to say. No need to bump all the threads back to the top of the forum; just read and pay attention.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Re: 3) I have not seen atheists on these boards advocating abolishing religion. .
Yes, sure and this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/39321092-post1.html

Yes but cough, cough this really isn't about abolishing religion, just not allowing it to be taught!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Yes but cough, cough this really isn't about abolishing religion, just not allowing it to be taught!
It's not about abolishing religion. It's about exposing religion for the superstitious nonsense it always was, and allowing it to whither naturally from exposure. You have every right to believe whatever you choose to believe, as long as you don't impose your beliefs on others. Religious people have a long history of being unable to do that, however.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I see nothing in the post which advocates abolishing religion. It advocates parents not indoctrinating their children into a specific religion, and advocates allowing them to make their own choices. Interesting, is it not, that you equate people making free choices about religion with religion being abolished. Guess you do not have much confidence in what those choices would be, do you?

It does amuse me that you searched so diligently to find support for your assertion and that this was the closest that you could come...and it isn't actually even close. I also note that you deemed it necessary to add not only the sarcastic icon, but also the "cough cough" which are apparently designed to distract from the fact that your post is without substance. A turd with a bow on it is still just a turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality