Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The probability that any human being lives on after death is:
0% 43 58.11%
Up to 25% 1 1.35%
25 to 50% 2 2.70%
50 to 75% 6 8.11%
75 to 100% 22 29.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

How convinced are you that there is any life or consciousness of a human being after death? What percent would you put on that probability?

I am interested in your reasons for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 02:29 PM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
I'm really convinced there is an after-life. Here are my reasons:

1) There is plenty of evidence Ghosts exist. With technology such as EVP's, SB7 Spirit Boxes and Infrared Technology plenty of people have proof that there are Ghosts. It is not scientific but that doesn't mean there isn't proof; the legal system is also not scientific but plenty of evidence is required to convict someone in most circumstances. All that means is that there has not been a scientific study conducted or a scientific theory formulated about the existence of Ghosts. There probably will never be one because of the stigma involved.

I would say start Ghost hunting with a reputable group if you want to find your own evidence of Ghosts.

2) I've had my own personal experiences with the after life. I've been on some pretty funky spiritual journeys which conclude there is a life after death.

3) Mediums are pretty accurate in finding loved ones who have moved on. I'm seeing a medium for the first time and I'll have updates to share in the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal Sub-Forum.

4) Atheists are descendants of Neanderthals and they really don't have a developed soul. So, for them they think because they have to reincarnate for five thousand more years there is no God and there is no after life. All that means is that they still need to evolve like dogs and cows. That's all that means. In five thousand years from now there spirit will be ready to acknowledge there is a God. Don't trust a Neanderthal for spiritual matters.

If you need proof of the Neanderthal theory ask and I'll put up some pictures of atheists and show you how their features are primitive.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:34 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Going with 50-75%. There is margin for error, but it seems more probably than not.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I'm really convinced there is an after-life. Here are my reasons:

1) There is plenty of evidence Ghosts exist. With technology such as EVP's, SB7 Spirit Boxes and Infrared Technology plenty of people have proof that there are Ghosts. It is not scientific but that doesn't mean there isn't proof; the legal system is also not scientific but plenty of evidence is required to convict someone in most circumstances. All that means is that there has not been a scientific study conducted or a scientific theory formulated about the existence of Ghosts. There probably will never be one because of the stigma involved.

I would say start Ghost hunting with a reputable group if you want to find your own evidence of Ghosts.

2) I've had my own personal experiences with the after life. I've been on some pretty funky spiritual journeys which conclude there is a life after death.

3) Mediums are pretty accurate in finding loved ones who have moved on. I'm seeing a medium for the first time and I'll have updates to share in the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal Sub-Forum.

4) Atheists are descendants of Neanderthals and they really don't have a developed soul. So, for them they think because they have to reincarnate for five thousand more years there is no God and there is no after life. All that means is that they still need to evolve like dogs and cows. That's all that means. In five thousand years from now there spirit will be ready to acknowledge there is a God. Don't trust a Neanderthal for spiritual matters.

If you need proof of the Neanderthal theory ask and I'll put up some pictures of atheists and show you how their features are primitive.
LOL Ghosts who hang around causing trouble are those too afraid to cross over..cause they know or believe it won't turn out well...But for those intuitive types..myself and my eldest are very aware of alternative universe things...Most Good ghosts are never seen or heard from..Bad one's who refuse to leave are the Noisy/destructive one's....

I was always comforted sensing with other senses ( smell mostly)..when stressed on the job ( ER Chaos) got a whiff of cigar/pipe smell..and it calmed me somehow..as I knew it was my Dad..saying..It's Okay..carry on..I'm with you

I also believe in Guardian Angel's too..as sometimes decision made in an instant seem to be guided by something beyond ....turning up a street instead of going straight..only to find out later..huge massive Accident..or needing to cancel a trip or flight..only to find out later..massive tragedy....Being receptive is only part of it..If denial of what your best sense was and ignored then ends up badly..then just maybe a lot things would work out better for ya if you listen to your inner self....

Term Common Sense is used..but it's more than that..It's a deep abiding belief that your GUT is telling you the truth of a matter...not listening to biases..and spin machines.. It sure makes life so much easier..once you embrace it...

Old 05-10-2015, 02:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:

I was an atheist, but I'm not anymore. Does that mean I'm a Neanderthal that needs to reincarnate for 5 thousand years more? Also I did not believe in reincarnation when I was an atheist (and I still don't), and I think most atheist don't believe in reincarnation either.

Why would you assume cows and dogs need to evolve? Do you think dogs are not in heaven? My dogs and cats are more evolved than some people, I think.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
As far as the original question, I chose 75-100 percent convinced, but I would not say I am 100 percent sure. I truly, with all my heart want to believe that there is an afterlife, that when we say goodbye to a loved one here on earth that it's not forever, and that people who suffer here on earth get to one day experience something better. That being said, I am also a big skeptic in many ways, and I am not 100 percent convinced there is an afterlife. I have had odd things happen and I still always need more proof. I have faith that we survive death, but it would be lovely to have that concrete proof...like a dead relative visiting me during he day and chatting with me for an hour, that would be convincing. As of now it looks like the only way I will ever know for sure is by dying. But there is too much stuff out there to not at least consider that there is an afterlife.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:27 PM

867 posts, read 909,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I was an atheist, but I'm not anymore. Does that mean I'm a Neanderthal that needs to reincarnate for 5 thousand years more? Also I did not believe in reincarnation when I was an atheist (and I still don't), and I think most atheist don't believe in reincarnation either.

Why would you assume cows and dogs need to evolve? Do you think dogs are not in heaven? My dogs and cats are more evolved than some people, I think.
Not at all, you were just reflecting on life. A period of atheism is natural. So, no you will not have to wait five thousand years. I'm pretty sure you are well on your way to making it into Heaven.

I'm talking about militant atheists who are going to chime in pretty soon and say that the concept of nothingness is a logical and even desirable position. They will say, "well when you are nothing you won't miss anything," or, "I was nothing in 1600 and I didn't miss anything." That's who I am talking about.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
me walking around talking to my dad after I am dead. 0 - 0.0001%. Given the amount of information we don't know I have no idea past that. Even with what I do know I can only point to the conservation laws to say anything. No clean slates at startup and no slates wiped clean at the end. That's all I can say.

Emotionally? I don't worry about it because I don't have enough information. But that's me, I am "just the facts". I won't tell anybody not to think about it at all because that's a person's choice.

But I think not worrying about it sound advice. The better writers can handle that part. .

Old 05-10-2015, 05:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
The OP presents a problem for which number of variables is unknown, the veracity of the variables is unknown, and the value of any of the variables is unknown.

The OP then asks what are the odds.

Let me ask, what are the odds that I am drinking ice tea and wearing a black shirt while I type this?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

Please do that in the Atheist/Agnostic forum where they will be sure to see this....idea. "Proof". lol...go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality