Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:10 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Acupuncturists don't "randomly stab" the needles. They twist them in with their thumb and fingers. The location depends on the symptom. On your next trip to SoCal..... stop in at a clinic that offers acupuncture. You'll find a LOT of non-Asians getting treatments. Most clinics also sell Asian teas and herbs for things like allergies, colds and upset stomachs. I use them myself. Work great.

Kaiser Permanente, a major HMO with it's own network of doctors, clinics and hospitals, offers acupuncture and alternative treatments.
My mistake. Instead of randomly stabbing, they carefully twist. Surely, doing that will cure my cancer and my dandruff.

If it's true that organizations like KP are buying into "alternative medicine," that's a shame. But they like money just as much as anyone else, so it's hard to blame them. If alternative medicine actually worked, it would probably just be called medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If alternative medicine actually worked, it would probably be called medicine.
Ummm..... it IS called medicine by people who use it. The Chinese have called it medicine for thousands of years. Free your mind, Freak. You're inside your box again.

p.s. I buy my herbal remedies at Target. They have NO idea I'm availing myself of the benefits of ancient Chinese medicine when I buy a box of jasmine tea instead of Pepto Bismol.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-20-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 04:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Correct

For the basic essentials of Islam one need not know Arabic.

But without a knowledge of written Arabic, one is very dependent upon translations and the word of others.for any study of Islam besides the 5 pillars.
Seems rather strange to have a religion that can only really be understood in one language.

Oh, hold it. Aramaic, koine Greek and ancient Hebrew have had their problems in translation also.

Let's face it, if there is some kind of god that exists, that entity sure has a weird way of wanting the word spread, don't you think? I mean, constructed in language so that translation to others is difficult, or ancient languages that are no longer used, or structuring phraseology in such a manner that it not only can be but is interpreted in a multitude of different ways.

Very strange entity that type of a god.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Seems rather strange to have a religion that can only really be understood in one language.

Oh, hold it. Aramaic, koine Greek and ancient Hebrew have had their problems in translation also.

Let's face it, if there is some kind of god that exists, that entity sure has a weird way of wanting the word spread, don't you think? I mean, constructed in language so that translation to others is difficult, or ancient languages that are no longer used, or structuring phraseology in such a manner that it not only can be but is interpreted in a multitude of different ways.

So you think that God suffers from a bad marketing plan? What makes you think that God needs, and is unable to reach those he is trying to reach? At the time of the Bible being written, Koine Greek was the language of choice, and the Gospel was able to travel huge distances over a Roman roads system. So there are some that are unwilling, or incapable of understanding? What makes you think God wants to reach them anyway?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:

Islam is quite a bit easier than that.

While the Qur'an and Ahadith are aids in understanding Islam. None are absolutly needed to be a Muslim.

The basic requirement is that one must sincerly believe that there is only one God(swt) and that Muhammad(saws) is his messenger.

Without that no matter what a person does or how knowledgable about the Qur'an and Ahadith they might be, they are not a Muslim.

Once a person believes the Shahadah (There is no God, but Allaah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah) they are Muslim, from that point on they learn through their own investigation and questionings as how to worship as a Muslim. No one is expected to do what they have no knowledge of or are not capable of doing.

Nearly all Muslims will eventually learn there are 5 Pillars of Islam and will try to do them to the best of their ability.

For many that is all they ever know about Islam. But, that does not make them any less of a Muslim than the most noted scholar. All Muslims are equal, no matter how much or how little they know about Islam.

but as a person grows in Islam they begin studying things like Qur'anic studies, Islamic jurisprudence, Tafsir, Fatwas, madhabs, Ahadith etc all at their own pace and ability.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Your dog got better after being randomly stabbed with needles. Clearly, stabbing the dog with needles actually caused him to get better. Right?
A few of my dogs and cats were cured of their ailments.

If you know nothing about how acupuncture works, you only make yourself sound silly/stupid when you make such comments.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
There are weird things in the bible, and clearly unscientific, but the hadith were Mo advises members of a desert clan to drink camel urine to cure disease takes the cake.

Now, an argument can be made that modern science uses mare urine to cure estrogen loss.

No it doesn't. It uses components in pregnant mare urine. Could there be a component in camel urine that has medicinal purposes?

Maybe, but if so, peer reviewed science has not seen it, and further, it would need to be extracted and concentrated. Just like Premarin is.

Advising to drink camel urine? Hilarious.
I'm wondering if it was for the salt? I believe camel pee is extremely salty.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-20-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'm wondering if it was for the salt? I believe camel pee is extremely salty.

Maybe there was a large group of salt-starved people, and they were getting sick with the symptoms that come from having a salt deficiency. Then, Jim the Slow suddenly starts drinking camel urine, because that's just the sort of odd thing Jim does. Jim is not a long term thinker.

Jim gets plenty of salt from the camel urine, and it cures his mysterious illness. All Jim's buddies assume camel urine is a miracle medicine from that point on...and every once in awhile it works again, because sometimes the mysterious illness someone has does come from not getting enough salt.
urine has been used as a medicine in nearly every culture at some time or another. typically the only difference is the source of it. It was quite popular in US in the early 1900s

Though urine has been used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes in several traditional systems,[a] and mentioned in some medical texts,[b] auto-urine therapy as a system of alternative medicine was invented and popularized by British naturopath John W. Armstrong in early 20th century. Armstrong was inspired by his family's practice of using urine to treat minor stings and toothaches, by a metaphorical reading of the Biblical Proverb "drink water from your own cistern...", and his own experience with ill-health that he treated with a 45-day fast "on nothing but urine and tap water". Starting in 1918, Armstrong prescribed urine-therapy regimens that he devised to many thousands of patients, and in 1944 he published The Water of Life: A treatise on urine therapy, which became a founding document of the field.

Urine therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has a very long history worldwide

http://falconblanco.com/health/urine/shirley%27s.htm

Shivambu Shastra - Healing with Urine Therapy

Cow Dung, Urine as Medicine? : Discovery News

Cow Urine for Cancer,Oral Cancer Medicines,Throat Cancer Medicines,Cow Urine for Oral Cancer,Throat Cancer Medicines India

Cow Urine for Weight Loss | eHow

Urine Therapy - Omaha's Heartland Healing Center

Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
urine has been used as a medicine in nearly every culture at some time or another. typically the only difference is the source of it. It was quite popular in US in the early 1900s

Though urine has been used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes in several traditional systems,[a] and mentioned in some medical texts,[b] auto-urine therapy as a system of alternative medicine was invented and popularized by British naturopath John W. Armstrong in early 20th century. Armstrong was inspired by his family's practice of using urine to treat minor stings and toothaches, by a metaphorical reading of the Biblical Proverb "drink water from your own cistern...", and his own experience with ill-health that he treated with a 45-day fast "on nothing but urine and tap water". Starting in 1918, Armstrong prescribed urine-therapy regimens that he devised to many thousands of patients, and in 1944 he published The Water of Life: A treatise on urine therapy, which became a founding document of the field.

Urine therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has a very long history worldwide

Urine Therapy: A cure for all diseases

Shivambu Shastra - Healing with Urine Therapy

Cow Dung, Urine as Medicine? : Discovery News

Cow Urine for Cancer,Oral Cancer Medicines,Throat Cancer Medicines,Cow Urine for Oral Cancer,Throat Cancer Medicines India

Cow Urine for Weight Loss | eHow

Urine Therapy - Omaha's Heartland Healing Center
Woodrow, please, that all means nothing. It's hooey, and anyone with any science knowledge knows it.

I suspect you do also, but your letting your religion get in the way of reason and reality. Quoting a naturopath? Really. That's like going to a chiropractor for real medical work. Its ooga Booga medicine and to suggest that it gives urine users credibility really is stretching it.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Woodrow, please, that all means nothing. It's hooey, and anyone with any science knowledge knows it.

I suspect you do also, but your letting your religion get in the way of reason and reality. Quoting a naturopath? Really. That's like going to a chiropractor for real medical work. Its ooga Booga medicine and to suggest that it gives urine users credibility really is stretching it.
It also helps explain the hadith.

Camel urine was used as medicine.

A man witnessed Muhammad(saws) tell a group of people to use it as a medicine.

the man related what he witnessed. which is what a Hadith is, an eye witness testimony. It is not a command. A hadith is only as accurate as the memory and integrity of the witness,

What we have in the Ahadith are a record of things Muhammad(saws) did and said for nearly 20 years of his life.

I do not see much that can be derived from that Hadith except that Muhammad(saws) did recommend one use what he believed to be a medicine. By analogy there is no prohibition for a Muslim to use medicine. Others amy see something else. But the only thing we know for certain is that a witness saw Muhammad(saws) reccommend the use of camel urine as a cure for an unspecified malady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality