Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
The ONLY reason their religion gets brought up is because THEY BRING IT UP! They have chosen an incredibly public life with a lot of extreme beliefs. There whole image is about being a good god fearing christian family.

They brought religion into this, not anyone else.

Thank you! Good grief the hypocrisy of people rushing to defend this family is disgusting.

If you're so pissed that people are hating on them because they're christians, you should be equally pissed at the people willing to excuse the whole situation because they are christians.

But one fact will always be true, they put their religion out there first. They started the religious conversations.
I don't care what religion they are. I'm not a Christian and I don't have a lot of respect for the Duggar's brand of Christianity based on the little I know about it. I don't care. I care about the fact that people want to use this incident to promote their own agenda, whatever it is, regardless of the repercussions that has on those who were harmed by Josh Duggar's actions, and on anyone who has or will experience the same kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
Incest is ubiquitous in families. Children become curious and experiment.

When there are unwilling victims, it's no longer about curiosity or experimentation. It's about control and abuse. Just because it happens often does not make it okay or harmless.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...there are 14 year old kids that kill people and don't get tried as adults, yet the yahoos on this board are saying this guy should be crucified because his last name is Duggar. It's mind-boggling the amount of hate and prejudice being displayed here.
Are you really going to minimalize the acts of child molestation, incest, and parental child abuse by comparing them to the crime of murder?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM

779 posts, read 484,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm unsurprised at seeing the reactions from the usual CD fundie mouthpieces. But much as I disagree with him, I thought Eusie had a kind heart. I see now he merely cloaked the rot better than the others.
You know, boys will be boys.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Are you really going to minimalize the acts of child molestation, incest, and parental child abuse by comparing them to the crime of murder?
Of course not. Why would you think that?

But the fact is, this was a 14 year old and his sister that was close in age. It was almost 15 years ago. All parties are grown up and well-adjusted. There appears to have been no long-term damage. Whatever they did to address the situation appears to have worked.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When there are unwilling victims, it's no longer about curiosity or experimentation. It's about control and abuse. Just because it happens often does not make it okay or harmless.
No one said it was harmless. I said it was ubiquitous. It happens between siblings often.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's not because they are Christian. It's because they have elevated themselves as figures that speak with authority on moral matters. If you're going to fight anti-LGBT discrimination acts on "moral" grounds, if you're going to call transgendered people out as lacking in morals, if you're going to call LGBT people a threat to children - you'd damn well better have your own house in order.
Why? Does that make their position or teachings any less true because they have sinned in the past as well? Yea the message is clear. If you take a stand for Christ on the public forum, you are expected to be completely perfect and sinless.

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
It is more serious by the fact that molestation and incest was occurring in the Duggar's home, and his female siblings were innocent victims with no place to escape. I'd expect his parents to be wise enough to put an end to the molestation and incest taking place under their roof, mind you these acts took place on multiple occasions. None of the parents, or other adults aware of the situation acted responsibly.
When a middle-aged man molests a young teenage or pre-teen boy, often the boy feels as if there is no escape. He is completely vulnerable with that priest.
Quote:
Sadly it is too late to throw the book at all the guilty parties involved in these acts of incest, child molestation and child abuse.
What book would have thrown at the 14 year old boy? He was the oldest child of young parents. Did they handle it the way we all think might have been best? No. But by all accounts, all parties turned out ok.

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
News Flash - no one here is claiming sexual abuse is acceptable or defending Josh's actions. It was wrong, disgusting, and damaging. But putting the Dugger family in a special class that deserves even more extreme criticism simply because they are Christian is wrong and judgmental. It's like the media sharks were just waiting for this family to slip up just like they do with the Robertson family.

Who knows, maybe this experience led the family to take a strong stance against sexual immorality because they know first hand how damaging it can be.
News Flash-----no one is putting the Duggars in a special class because they are "Christians," they are being exposed for the difference between their talk and their walk. Josh isn't the only thing they keep in the closet. Michelle isn't much into talking about her lesbian sister (nothing wrong about having a lesbian sister except if your preaching hell fire toward homosexuals). Michelle to be the best fundamentalist should take every opportunity on their show to tell her sister she is going to hell (but that might not be good for ratings).

What's wrong is failing to point out hypocrisy posing as "godly." Sweeping it away with, "ah, shucks, them Duggars are human like the rest of us," smacks of some of the worst coverups that go on constantly in our society." Think police covering for their own or Catholic hierarchy willing to come to grips with their pedophile priest problems until media attention forced them to do so.

That's what's wrong. And you are once again in that fundamentalist defensive group saying "Ah, shucks, them (whoever--as long as they are on my side) are human like the rest of us."

I'll bet dad was involved in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality