Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 PM

1,422 posts, read 953,583 times

Advertisements

If consciousness can be stored as data...then there might be a way in which to use the planet for such a purpose...

*ponders*

https://www.facebook.com/jasonlsilva...8079515789661/

Last edited by Rotagivan; 05-22-2015 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 05:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
yes. you have to keep in back of your mind we have nothing else but the standard model. Anything we claim working outside of it is a total guess. base everything off of it.

"Yes", we may be able to use it. I see no reason that we can't use anything we learn to help ourselves. The biosphere mimics a cell in many ways. Many many ways. We are motor proteins carrying around chuck of "neurons".

Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 PM

779 posts, read 484,557 times
Dementia/Alzheimer's

Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,542,643 times
Why does God send different messages to different believers?

they took different hallucinogens?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
I skipped to the end somewhat because it was clear what the answer was to Freak's god OP Q - essentially 'Which God?'

It was essentially 'The only tru messages are the ones I get. All the others are false and deluded".

The talk about piddling disagreements about the colour of church carpets is a red herring across the clear trail of 'Why doesn't God make sure at least we all have the right religion/belief?' Which is essentially the OP Q 'which God?' yet again. Thus that answer doesn't answer.

The other stuff was 'God has his reasons' with hints of the 'free will' get out, which doesn't wash. If religions are correct, then God had NO trouble intervening and even seriously interfering with Paul's free Will to make him a Jesus -believer because it was necessary. It has never been more necessary than now (apart from maybe the religious wars of the 16th -17th century) for God to intervene again and make it utterly clear what the only true option is. Clearly revelations and personal Interpretation of scripture does not cut it. Thus the Free Will argument does not wash, and it never has.
The Q remains unanswered by the believers and only we goddless bastards have a clear, simple and bloody obviously correct answer.

Whether there is a god or not is unknown. There doesn't seem to be any good evidence for one. But the various gods and religions and their Holy Books are man -made, nothing to do with any possible god and are utterly false.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
religions are not "utterly false". They have some benefits in helping animals be social. The things about magic are false. Sociopathic people running religion can be quite nasty. I mean just watch chimps.

The way to see if "god" is telling the theist a truth they can/should cross check it with everybody. Especially people that do not have the same emotional need as them. Sitting in a room of like minded people solves nothing and they whiny up talking about how "right" they are and how "wrong" "then" are.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
It's the same message. Some people take the symbolic literally. Some people deny science. Some people deny archeological discoveries. Some people are bible only.

I have a feeling that when we see God He will tell us he gave us a brain and expected us to use it. The main message was to love God and others, not to get hung up on whether the creation story was literal or symbolic, if Adam and Eve existed, or any of the other arguments we constantly hear.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It's the same message. Some people take the symbolic literally. Some people deny science. Some people deny archeological discoveries. Some people are bible only.

I have a feeling that when we see God He will tell us he gave us a brain and expected us to use it. The main message was to love God and others, not to get hung up on whether the creation story was literal or symbolic, if Adam and Eve existed, or any of the other arguments we constantly hear.
Well said! The rest is all human vanity and hubris . . . ~Mystic

Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:

But not all religious people agree with you. Why not? That's the question I posed at the beginning of this thread.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:

I can live with that. I have other explanations for God and Love, but I can live with those who don't buy them. The pushing back is because of 2,000 years and more of pushing various religions, and over the last 500 rubbishing science when it says something counter to this or that Holy Book.

That ended and no more Pushing, and you won't see us having to push back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality