Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 06:11 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am Christian. TFF is TheFlipFlop, a poster on the Judaism forum. He is a Baal teshuva, a secular Jew who became Orthodox. See the things you learn when you visit other religious forums?
I think, if I remember correctly, he went from secular to atheist to BT....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
Quote:
I am Christian. TFF is TheFlipFlop, a poster on the Judaism forum. He is a Baal teshuva, a secular Jew who became Orthodox. See the things you learn when you visit other religious forums?
The thing being of course that TFF gets mentioned so much and even quoted that I wondered if he was someone more special than the average. Like a possible Messiah for example.

See, someone who is pointed to as a reference is in a leadership role. I am wondering if those who do so are TFF's followers, that is really why I asked the question.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:55 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
The thing being of course that TFF gets mentioned so much and even quoted that I wondered if he was someone more special than the average. Like a possible Messiah for example.

See, someone who is pointed to as a reference is in a leadership role. I am wondering if those who do so are TFF's followers, that is really why I asked the question.
I could see that. He's just sort of an outspoken character on the Judaism forum. As with people who became converts to any other religion as adults, he can get overzealous and critical of others who are not as observant as he is, and there have been some lively exchanges that I find entertaining to read.

Not that different from what happens in the Christianity forum.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Funny, I was going to ask you the same question. The OP is a huge wall of text, but it never gave a point. I'm not even sure which religion you're disagreeing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What my point is, that since Christianity calls itself an Abrahamic religion and claims that their Old Testament is a direct translation of the TaNaKh, from Hebrew to English, when it is not, to challenge people to actually read and research the OP a little farther...To actually take a Hebrew TaNaKh and a Christian Old Testament and see the differences in the translations, specifically the way that the "Messianic" prophecies were rendered in English...Without parroting someone else's works as proofs...To do the work and come to your own conclusion...The OP that I have proffered is just a guideline to get one thinking...Whoever wants to read it and consider it....
Enticement.

See the way it looks to me is that one organised religion had been promised a Messiah would come and fix things and establish the Hebrews as the chosen people of The King of The Elohim species.

The Hebrews being human, continued to fall short of showing the world how things should be done. Not for want of certain individuals trying to persuade the establishment - Judaism - to stop misrepresenting 'what G()D is' and start behaving accordingly.

But, being human - such influencing positions have to deal with worldly politics and survive, so the best chance of doing that was not to trust that The King of The Elohim would have their back and to continue holding the reigns over the minds of the Hebrews - who by now were calling themselves Jews.

Nonetheless, many tired (and continue that tradition) to be the 'Messiah' and all failed - according to the fact that prophetic utterances regarding what the Messiah would achieve had not been fulfilled - and one of those many was the person Christianity calls 'Jesus'.

The difference being that all the rest fell into obscurity but the Romans came up with a plan to put a spanner in the works by promoting Jesus in such a way that they were also able to convince many that Jesus was the Messiah that had been promised and that he would return one day and fulfill all the prophesy.

However - the Jewish establishment saw that this could never happen because Jesus was not the Messiah and could never return from the dead and take up that position.

The Romans devised a way of covering their bases and created an 'Antichrist' on the off chance that if indeed the Jews promised messiah did come about, that all of Christendom would see that person as being the Antichrist and reject whatever that individual said or did as being 'of the devil'.

One weakness of the story is in the fact that if the Messiah the Jews are hoping for does not manifest then Jesus cannot return.

This is not really a problem because those who made up the stories did so in order to have power and influence and control over the millions and millions of poor hopeful people who gravitate and cling to such stories because of their positions in life as a subspecies to the rich and powerful rulers who made up the stories and presented the stories as factual and from G()D.

So Jew and Gentile alike - equal in their poor positions - have been hoodwinked.

There will be no 'Messiah'. One cannot make true from fabrication.

But wait!

Actually, one can if one has loads of $$. It is plausible that an actor could portray the part of Messiah and bring about by degree the fulfillment of prophesy. It is called "Manifest Destiny" and has worked in the past and simply requires the backing of $$ and a bit of staging.

The problem being that the Romans put a spanner in the works so the Christians will yell 'Anti-Christ!' and what the Muslims will do I can't say.
But generally the world will be (as usual) desperate enough to pin their hopes on this Messiah figure and lend its support.

The whole thing is built around the rich maintaining their hold over the bulk of human consciousness and keeping their G()D-given place in the scheme of things.

The better option would be to simply invest wealth into making the world a better place for everyone and ditch the 'Messiah Complex' altogether.

That would require a re-think on the part of the uber-rich but not only they. Also the poor have to stop with their 'poor-me' victim mentalities and somewhere in the middle both 'sides' have to see the bigger picture and ditch the beliefs of the ancients altogether and stop looking to the skies or any religion for their salvation.

Forget the fabrication of 'The Messiah' and sort it out ourselves.

That would be good.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I could see that. He's just sort of an outspoken character on the Judaism forum. As with people who became converts to any other religion as adults, he can get overzealous and critical of others who are not as observant as he is, and there have been some lively exchanges that I find entertaining to read.

Not that different from what happens in the Christianity forum.
Hmmm Okay. Who are in the leadership roles in the Christianity forum? I am assuming that you will know this since you learn visiting other religious forums?

Old 06-06-2015, 05:20 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Hmmm Okay. Who are in the leadership roles in the Christianity forum? I am assuming that you will know this since you learn visiting other religious forums?
Well, I AM the Mighty Queen...

But I don't get either your question or the remark following it. Why do you think there are leadership roles in these forums? I don't see that. And when I said "the other religious forums" I meant other than Christian. Sorry if that was not clear to you.

ETA: OK, I went back and reread your post #42. I don't know that I agree with your statement that someone who is quoted is in a leadership role. It may be that one is just quotable because of his or her way with words.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
By the way...My apologies for calling you a troll...

Old 06-06-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I AM the Mighty Queen...

But I don't get either your question or the remark following it. Why do you think there are leadership roles in these forums? I don't see that. And when I said "the other religious forums" I meant other than Christian. Sorry if that was not clear to you.

ETA: OK, I went back and reread your post #42. I don't know that I agree with your statement that someone who is quoted is in a leadership role. It may be that one is just quotable because of his or her way with words.
Well no...The Flip Flop is definitely an influential individual...and yes perhaps his way with words has something to do with that.

I have seen this in the comments members make, especially those who identify as being Jews, so I think I am correct in my perception on this... really I get the impression TFF is some kind of Rabbi but whatever really, the influence is obvious enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
By the way...My apologies for calling you a troll...
That is quite alright Richard and thank you for saying so. Also yes, I understand how you would have seen me that way and I am taking notice and attempting to change my 'approach' for the better without compromising my position - I don't want to be 'offensive' but when it comes to individual/groups and belief systems I feel it is important to question. As TFF said, 'we shall see'

Adjust approach = "improving your middos"

Not to say that we might ever agree, but we can respect one another's humanity...

On the other hand, if you are just being sarcastic, my bad...but my position remains the same...just saying.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:14 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I'm not a Jew and I don't believe that Jesus was the messiah. The way I understand it, Jesus didn't even think he was the messiah so you really got to wonder.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:47 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm not a Jew and I don't believe that Jesus was the messiah. The way I understand it, Jesus didn't even think he was the messiah so you really got to wonder.
that is correct

the person pointing at the sun is not the sun
he was pointing people to G-d, not claiming to be G-d

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-07-2015 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality