Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
So what? I don't engage in comparative religion or speculative "what if" history scenarios. Christians draw close to God as Christians, Jews draw close to God as Jews. We are all beloved children of the Creator. May loving kindness pour forth in the world.
I don't have anything against it but this statement doesn't seem to sit too well with the very basic Jewish belief - "only Jews will go to heaven."
How can Christians draw close to God if they are destined to hell, from a JEWISH stand point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
doesn't seem to sit too well with the very basic Jewish belief - "only Jews will go to heaven."
if that is what Islam teaches you, then you have been deceived

Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
That is refreshing on the face of things but it is not like that across the board. TFF for example appears to express problems with Jesus and Christianity, so you should understand the confusion this can create for those looking into how religions organize themselves.
I have no problem with Chrstianity, as long as Jews steer clear of it. It's the religion of Chrstians.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:22 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I must have missed that one.
Yoshka
an irreverent name for Jesus Christ
a Yiddish diminutive form of Jesus' Hebrew name
Yoshke Panderik or Yoshke Pandre. A book called "Toldot Yeshua" claimed that his father was actually a Roman soldier named "Pandeira," whose identity was hidden by Mary.

Yoshke - Jewish English Lexicon

Who uses this derogatory term: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)

And who has in this thread?

Old 12-06-2015, 03:23 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I have no problem with Chrstianity, as long as Jews steer clear of it. It's the religion of Chrstians.
The religion, Jesus or both?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
I don't have anything against it but this statement doesn't seem to sit too well with the very basic Jewish belief - "only Jews will go to heaven."
How can Christians draw close to God if they are destined to hell, from a JEWISH stand point?
Jews believe only Jews go to heaven?

Can a Jewish person on here comment on this? I mean maybe it's correct but that wasn't my understanding of what Jews think about death.

I thought the main point was that Jews are chosen by God, which isn't necessarily this faboo "you're awesome" thing but rather that the Jews have much more responsibility placed on them, per the laws outlined in Leviticus.

It was my understanding that it's Christians who feel only Christians get into heaven, so I'm wondering whether this isn't a bit of projection? As far as my experience Jews don't run around pointing fingers and telling people to repent and act and do like them in order to avoid hell. For the most part Jews just leave other people alone - again, in my experience.

As far as the mohsiach, I believe that was the Jews' creation so don't they make the rules on what sort of man he'll be, how he'll act and the things he will do? That's just my opinion, though. I have always thought it a little bizarre that non-Jews would hijack the Jewish religion, change it (i.e. what has been "fulfilled" and what hasn't, the casual throwing away of old, apparently extremely important laws, etc. with unsupportable disclaimers that certain as yet unfulfilled predictions will come later...etc.) and say the new way was the right way all along. That doesn't seem weird to anybody else?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As far as the mohsiach, I believe that was the Jews' creation so don't they make the rules on what sort of man he'll be, how he'll act and the things he will do? That's just my opinion, though. I have always thought it a little bizarre that non-Jews would hijack the Jewish religion, change it (i.e. what has been "fulfilled" and what hasn't, the casual throwing away of old, apparently extremely important laws, etc. with unsupportable disclaimers that certain as yet unfulfilled predictions will come later...etc.) and say the new way was the right way all along. That doesn't seem weird to anybody else?
The Moshiach was God's creation, interpreted by the ancient Jews in accord with their circumstances and needs at the time. They selected the things THEY thought were the prophecies according to THEIR expectations and desires. This is using prophecy as divination which is specifically forbidden. Prophecy is revealed by events AFTER they occur. It is not to be used predictively. We have the advantage of using it properly by looking back at events after they occurred and seeing what was prophesied. The Jews missed the Messiah because they were looking predictively according to THEIR expectations. They still are.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:42 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Jews believe only Jews go to heaven?

Can a Jewish person on here comment on this? I mean maybe it's correct but that wasn't my understanding of what Jews think about death.
...As far as my experience Jews don't run around pointing fingers and telling people to repent and act and do like them in order to avoid hell. For the most part Jews just leave other people alone - again, in my experience.
Jewish person here
no that is NOT correct. GoCardinals post stated an error, a deception, and is incorrect.

your understanding is correct: Judaism recognizes other religions as valid path to God. For this reason, Judaism does not proselytize or seek converts.

to state otherwise is a deception

Quote:
this statement doesn't seem to sit too well with the very basic Jewish belief - "only Jews will go to heaven."
Quote:
if that is what Islam teaches you, then you have been deceived

Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Jewish person here
no that is NOT correct. GoCardinals post stated an error, a deception, and is incorrect.

your understanding is correct: Judaism recognizes other religions as valid path to God. For this reason, Judaism does not proselytize or seek converts.

to state otherwise is a deception
Thanks much for your help.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:33 PM

360 posts, read 234,126 times
What if Jesus was God, and there is no son of God? If that is true, then God came into the world to give testimony to Jews (his chosen people). Also, God (Jesus) did not intend to start a new religion. God, doesn't micro-manage. Followers of Jesus came up with narrative stories that changed Jews perception of Jesus. If you read those gospels written prior to the NT gospels you don't find those narrative stories (Jesus is the son of God, Jesus is tempted by the devil, John baptizes Jesus, Jesus drives out devils, Jesus heals many, Jesus walks on water, etc.). Apparently, those stories were added to gain support for the Jesus movement. Here is an excellent source for those ideas, The Lost Gospel Q by Burton L. Mack. I believe Revelation 11 about the two witnesses (God's duality) is the best story about Jesus. I know this is a huge stretch for many because no one, except myself, believes God is a duality.

If what I am saying is true, it would change a lot. We would have almost two thousand years of a false religion, Christianity. It would mean Jesus, "the son of God," is a pagan god. Oh, Oh, that is blasphemy, I am in big trouble now. What would happen to Jesus (God). Well, it appears as if he would be just one of those prophets or a wise men crying in the wilderness. Jesus (God) wasn't accepted by Jews then, so why would it be any different now?

Last edited by earl012; 12-06-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality