Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm Tired of the gay marriage threads!
Yes 18 35.29%
Yes, but I still think gay marriage is evil. 9 17.65%
No 12 23.53%
No, because we must talk about it in order to help others. 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:53 PM

745 posts, read 800,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Something tells me that if I complained to a gay baker about not making me a cake, I wouldn't be rewarded thousands of dollars by the state.

Because the oh so tolerant LBGT community has no problem refusing to bake a cake for Christians:

13 Gay Bakeries Refuse to Make Traditional Marriage Cake With the Message: 'Gay Marriage Is Wrong'

What happened to "it's the law!" The hypocrisy is outstanding.
If that story is true... and I have my doubts, then I would side with you on your opinion of those bakeries. They should not be refusing to do those cakes.

I could understand if somebody tried to order racist cakes with the N* word on it, or some homophobic phrase, but that's not what this is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:11 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Something tells me that if I complained to a gay baker about not making me a cake, I wouldn't be rewarded thousands of dollars by the state.
If a baker (regardless of orientation) denied you a cake based on your orientation and your locality had anti-discrimination laws that cover orientation, then you should certainly have your day in court, and depending on the specifics of the case, may prevail. And when that happens, please send me a link ot your go_fund me page so I can donate to your legal defense fund. Heck, I'll even submit your name to Popehat as a candidate for legal assistance.

But I am not holding my breath that this will ever happen...

Quote:
Because the oh so tolerant LBGT community has no problem refusing to bake a cake for Christians:
13 Gay Bakeries Refuse to Make Traditional Marriage Cake With the Message: 'Gay Marriage Is Wrong'

And here you prove that you don't listen. We have been over this ad nauseum. The message is where you lose the plot. If anyone, gay or straight wanted a sheet cake of a swastika, or with the slogan "Jesus is gay" it is entirely within the right of the baker to refuse to make such a thing, unless they make it for others. A baker has a right to choose what cake to make, but not who to sell it to.

It would be wrong, discriminatory, and illegal if a baker refused to sell a generic wedding cake to you because you are hetero, or because you are a Christian. However just as a Christian baker is within their right not to make a "Hail Satan" Birthday cake, a cake with a specific message can certainly be declined without one iota of hypocrisy.

As I, and others have said repeatedly, a business may choose what products or services it offers, but it may not discriminate regarding to whom it sells its products. This is an easily understandable and fairly clear line, at least for those who do not have a vested interest in conflating the two situations.

-NoCapo

Old 07-06-2015, 02:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with the argument? It is still an example of gays forcing themselves into religious groups that don't want them as leaders.
No, it an example of a christian group wanting college funding and access to meeting spaces, but not wanting to follow the same rules that all other groups have to follow.

If they were serious they would take their group off campus, and not try to get funding from the school. That way they do not have to follow the rules that all others have to follow.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:

If you read anything about that case the baker said that they would not decorate ANY cake with those words, and offered to bake the cake and give him the materials to write whatever he wanted on the cake.

Bakery offers cake (A) then they have to sell that cake to anyone. Bakery does not offer cake (B), they do not have to make it for anyone.

The bakery that was sued OFFERS wedding cakes, thus must sell them to anyone that wants one.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
There is only cake. Not gay cake, traditional marriage cake, just cake. I do not write on cake. I bake and decorate them. I leave all artificial colors, and spelling errors to the client.

What couple puts Gay Marriage is Wrong, on their wedding cake? The idea is silly. I think every baker should follow my lead. Make it a policy not to write on cake, ever.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounded like you were espousing "separate but equal". They should just go make their own gay bakeries, gay churches, drink from gay water fountains, go in the gay entrance, of public buildings, etc...

We have seen how well that approach works...

-NoCapo
misunderstood ... like the difference between calling a spit ball a weapon and thinking I meant nuclear bomb

Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, it an example of a christian group wanting college funding and access to meeting spaces, but not wanting to follow the same rules that all other groups have to follow.

If they were serious they would take their group off campus, and not try to get funding from the school. That way they do not have to follow the rules that all others have to follow.
Nope, it is an example of gays forcing themselves onto Christian groups. Why do you refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the story? Why can't gay people just respect others religious beliefs and try to find a way to peacefully co-exist? Nope, never any compromise with your side.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:19 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you read anything about that case the baker said that they would not decorate ANY cake with those words, and offered to bake the cake and give him the materials to write whatever he wanted on the cake.

Bakery offers cake (A) then they have to sell that cake to anyone. Bakery does not offer cake (B), they do not have to make it for anyone.

The bakery that was sued OFFERS wedding cakes, thus must sell them to anyone that wants one.
Always some technicality to justify the hypocrisy and double standard. It is the same freaking principle. If a cake is just a cake then why couldn't the gay bakers just do it? Oh but the message violated their beliefs. But why is it ok to demand that Christians violate their beliefs? From a moral perspective, there is no difference between creating the actual letters "we support gay marriage" vs providing a cake to support gay marriage.

There is no way the lesbian couple would have let it go if it involved Sweet Cakes refusing to write a pro-gay message on a cake. They would have still been sued for discrimination.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Nope, it is an example of gays forcing themselves onto Christian groups. Why do you refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the story? Why can't gay people just respect others religious beliefs and try to find a way to peacefully co-exist? Nope, never any compromise with your side.
They were gay Christians, jeff.

Christians.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
THE COLLEGE requires that groups that accept funding and use school facilities do not discriminate.

If the christian group can not follow the rules, they can go off campus to have their club. Christians don't get to claim "religious belief" to get around rules everyone else has to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality