Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
God isn't "in the sky". You are actually talking about another culture that you obviously don't understand that existed during Biblical times. Do you have the passages from which you are drawing these "anti-family" values? Hate your brother, sister, etc. is not what I learned or ever heard quoted. What church did or do you attend?
Ehh...yeah, that's called sarcasm. Look up the definition.

Luke 14:26...If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Etc.

(Yawn...)...you already know these and more.

Did you "dare" to read the referring page link in the OP???

Its difficult to see the truth when one has invested YEARS of his life and then realize that he's been "duped" by a Man made belief system designed by the powers that be, to enslave, brainwash and pilfer the simple minded.

“Mind easily mesmerized when frightened.”
― Toba Beta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
God isn't "in the sky". You are actually talking about another culture that you obviously don't understand that existed during Biblical times. Do you have the passages from which you are drawing these "anti-family" values? Hate your brother, sister, etc. is not what I learned or ever heard quoted. What church did or do you attend?

^^^Exactly and neither do they know the Bible. As much of a pain as they are, I do have sympathy for them. You wonder why they are always here, disputing the fact as to whether or not God exists. You can feel their desperation, living their lives the way they live them and hoping and wanting reassurance that there will be no judgment or afterlife. I cannot imagine the torment. God has been with me for as long as I can remember. Knowing God? Priceless.

Maybe this is just another "gay thread" as I noticed it was brought up that God was anti-family so it meant to kill gays or some other nonsense.

Again, imagine what it is like for those without God in their life with the constant torment realizing what faces them ahead, trying to desperately to have others give them reassurance that there is no God. Must be all consuming and really take away from the quality of their lives.

It is interesting too that some people do not realize that the Bible stories have been passed, in the beginning, orally and moved on to a written word that has been translated many times. The Bible has more of a code of behavior while many look for everything to be spelled out or they twist the meanings.

Anti-family. I guess when you are tormented about whether or not God exists that you spend a lot of waking hours coming up with crap like that.
Grandiose nonsense.

The typical overblown response of one whose faith rests on the shakiest of foundations -- a mouldy old book.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Grandiose nonsense.

The typical overblown response of one whose faith rests on the shakiest of foundations -- a mouldy old book.
It's impertinent and arrogant, and about as base and vile as it gets, if you ask me. Such simplistic nonsense is utterly contemptible.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt I'm atypical ... I didn't leave Christianity because I found it confining and wanted to indulge a violent urge to have orgies and rob banks and molest little girls. My morality is indistinguishable from what it always has been. I love my wife and children and pay my taxes and don't kick stray dogs or defraud my customers or provide them with anything less than excellence.

And the only void in my life is the one that theism made for me, which was the very motivation to get out. My quality of life has gone up -- WAY up -- since I got that flotsam out of my head.

I have no less right to discuss topics I find interesting than anyone else. If I choose to spend some of my energy here then no one has to profess bafflement and posit some sort of torment or any other baroque explanation. Evangelical Christianity dominated my life for three decades and it took me the better part of two more to pry its tentacles from my brain and to live down the personal shame of ever having been taken in by such utter rubbish. I have an interest in helping others think these things through. Trust me I don't do it for barking posterior orifices like AnywhereElse or his friends. I do it for people like who I was when my faith was crumbling, who are right now lurking in these fora and trying to sort their own minds out. I do it so that they can experience the freedom of mind that I now possess and so that they can be rooted in reality instead of fantasy.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's impertinent and arrogant, and about as base and vile as it gets, if you ask me. Such simplistic nonsense is utterly contemptible.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt I'm atypical ... I didn't leave Christianity because I found it confining and wanted to indulge a violent urge to have orgies and rob banks and molest little girls. My morality is indistinguishable from what it always has been. I love my wife and children and pay my taxes and don't kick stray dogs or defraud my customers or provide them with anything less than excellence.

And the only void in my life is the one that theism made for me, which was the very motivation to get out. My quality of life has gone up -- WAY up -- since I got that flotsam out of my head.

I have no less right to discuss topics I find interesting than anyone else. If I choose to spend some of my energy here then no one has to profess bafflement and posit some sort of torment or any other baroque explanation. Evangelical Christianity dominated my life for three decades and it took me the better part of two more to pry its tentacles from my brain and to live down the personal shame of ever having been taken in by such utter rubbish. I have an interest in helping others think these things through. Trust me I don't do it for barking posterior orifices like AnywhereElse or his friends. I do it for people like who I was when my faith was crumbling, who are right now lurking in these fora and trying to sort their own minds out. I do it so that they can experience the freedom of mind that I now possess and so that they can be rooted in reality instead of fantasy.

Well put...thank you for your input. Your opinion MAY HELP those Victims of the greatest HOAX ever perpetrated on Mankind. They may wake up and ask themselves the important question(s) of

1. Is there a God that would contrive such non-sense?
2. If it wasn't God, then who created this philosophy?

~B

Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Nonsense. The God depicted in the Bible is prone to temper tantrums during which He commits mass murder. He doesn't object to rape or slavery. In short, He's just not very nice.

No, God is letting the issues raised against him in Eden to be resolved once and for all time. He doesn't interfere too much, but he has warned all from the beginning--there is 0 room for sin in his creation. And this isn't the real life--Getting into Gods kingdom is the real life--there will be a resurrection, the first death is temporary.

Its the parents fault that children had to die, from generation to generation, parents hand down to their children--false god worship and pagan practices, because they are mislead, they follow the world. This has been satans #1 tool to deceive.

God was right in letting the issues be resolved once and for all times, because eventually 1/3 of the angels fell, it would have happened over and over. This way all the bad seeds are rooted out.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
how one describes the god of the bible is how one sees the world.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
And this isn't the real life--Getting into Gods kingdom is the real life--
Sorry to hear that you regard the only life you know for sure that you have as a mere antechamber to the main event.

In my experience this tends to turn life into quite the joyless, one-foot-in-front-of-the-other slog. Nothing makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning like a chance to continue to "endure to the end". Life is not something to be endured, my friend, it is something to be lived.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:41 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,919,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Sorry to hear that you regard the only life you know for sure that you have as a mere antechamber to the main event.

In my experience this tends to turn life into quite the joyless, one-foot-in-front-of-the-other slog. Nothing makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning like a chance to continue to "endure to the end". Life is not something to be endured, my friend, it is something to be lived.

Yes lived like this--Matt 16:24

Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM

For those who CAN THINK for themselves...Follow this

Quotes attributed to Jesus;
For I have come to turn "'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--"A man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat. 10:35-37

• 3 verses---one message.
  • Hate YOUR FAMILY...worship me.
  • Is this the Jesus you worship?
Perhaps one of the "Elders" from the church can explain this...?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Yes lived like this--Matt 16:24
Exactly my point ... self denial and dragging a cross around.

Christianity and its derivatives demonize individuality, open inquiry, reason, and logic. In its place they provide conformity, appeals to authority, dogma and superstition. If that's not a recipe for joylessness I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality