Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 AM

90 posts, read 104,703 times

Advertisements

Hello there! So, lately I've been doing some thinking, and I would like to find a religious path for myself. But...I'm not really sure where I should start. I really love a lot of things about Buddhism, but I don't really know where to start with that.

So a little background information...I was raised Catholic, and went to a baptist school. I was very Christian for awhile, but as a grew older I strayed away. I don't really want to go back to Christianity for a lot of reasons, it just isn't for me.

I really want to find a peaceful, happy religion. I am spiritual, I believe there is an afterlife of some kind and I do believe there is a higher being up there, but not a God necessarily in the Christian sense. I just believe there are things outside of my control. I really love nature and things of that sort. I want to get into meditation, and just really want to grow as a person. I just have no idea where to start. I've taken a religions course, and that's what has peaked my interest in Buddhism. But there are so many other religions out there that I would love to learn about, like native american religions.

Basically, I would like some suggestions of religions out there I can learn about, and maybe one day follow. I'm super open minded, and would really just love to learn what is out there and what has worked for you all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
No religion is working nicely for me (a former Christian).

It might help to know why you want to be part of a religion. Are you wanting to follow a religion for the sake of fellowship and a sense of belonging? Or is there more to it?

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRedd View Post
Hello there! So, lately I've been doing some thinking, and I would like to find a religious path for myself. But...I'm not really sure where I should start. I really love a lot of things about Buddhism, but I don't really know where to start with that.

So a little background information...I was raised Catholic, and went to a baptist school. I was very Christian for awhile, but as a grew older I strayed away. I don't really want to go back to Christianity for a lot of reasons, it just isn't for me.

I really want to find a peaceful, happy religion. I am spiritual, I believe there is an afterlife of some kind and I do believe there is a higher being up there, but not a God necessarily in the Christian sense. I just believe there are things outside of my control. I really love nature and things of that sort. I want to get into meditation, and just really want to grow as a person. I just have no idea where to start. I've taken a religions course, and that's what has peaked my interest in Buddhism. But there are so many other religions out there that I would love to learn about, like native american religions.

Basically, I would like some suggestions of religions out there I can learn about, and maybe one day follow. I'm super open minded, and would really just love to learn what is out there and what has worked for you all.

Thanks!
it starts with what you understand. There are logical and emotional solutions we all seek. Be honest and true to yourself first.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I don't follow any religion either but aspects of Animism resonate within me as true. It is nature-based and aligns with much of what many indigenous peoples believe. It may be worth your while to explore it.

I hope you find a way that feels right.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
From what you say Unity Church, New Thought Churches, Religious Science Churches might be a great fit.
Depends on the current pastor, too.

They can talk about reincarnation, Jesus to Buddha. Open loving people I have found.

Oh, Trout...someone just sent me a link to Animism..

Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 AM

90 posts, read 104,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No religion is working nicely for me (a former Christian).

It might help to know why you want to be part of a religion. Are you wanting to follow a religion for the sake of fellowship and a sense of belonging? Or is there more to it?
More for knowledge, and a path I can follow. I want to learn more about very spiritual/naturey religions, and then I might decide one is for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it starts with what you understand. There are logical and emotional solutions we all seek. Be honest and true to yourself first.

Hmmm what do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't follow any religion either but aspects of Animism resonate within me as true. It is nature-based and aligns with much of what many indigenous peoples believe. It may be worth your while to explore it.

I hope you find a way that feels right.
I will research it, thank you!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Whay does it have to be a religion?
There is a force larger than you . It's called nature.
Learn about yourself and how best to fit into the natural.....which includes humans...world.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I know you have said that you aren't really interested in Christianity, so I'm not going to badger you about it. With that said...if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I'm a Christian pastor, and would love to answer any questions you might have.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
^ Vizio's brand of Christianity is all about controlling people with fear and guilt. I grew up in it, and it's cult like. Run, don't walk, away.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
More for knowledge, and a path I can follow. I want to learn more about very spiritual/naturey religions, and then I might decide one is for me.
Gotcha. Just wondering if you've tried googling for groups in your area? Maybe something like "spiritual groups [your city]"? Or, since nature is your thing, I'm wondering if you could find a group in your area that is focused on nature appreciation or study to get involved in. You might meet like-minded people that way, and perhaps as you get to know them and learn about their religious paths, it would open some possibilities for you? Just a thought. All the best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality