Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Atheism Helps My FaithSt. Peter's Fireside

Very interesting, and honest discussion that this pastor has as he discusses how he deals having debates with a friend who is an atheist.

It would be great if all apologist here would take a similar track as this Christian does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
What I see here is 'atheism' (questioning my faith) 'has obliged me to rely more and more on faith and denial'.

It may see him though to the end. On the other hand he may - like many others- come admit that he was simply finding ways to reject doubts.

The day he decides to face up to them and decide that what does not convince his friend ought to not to convince him, is the day he deconverts.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 AM

20,021 posts, read 13,496,411 times
This is a fairly conservative evangelical who has at least learned not to confuse his beliefs with his sense of self. He can have discussions with unbelievers without taking their unbelief personally and feeding some sort of persecution and/or otherizing narrative.

He also has learned to admit that you can't convince people to believe with rational arguments. Which is a tacit admission that his only arguments are irrational.

Fundamentally he still believes he is correct and is untroubled by his beliefs being untethered from rational discourse and intellectual integrity. This may change someday; at least in the meantime he recognizes both the humanity of those who don't share his beliefs, and their right to their own personhood.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Mordant, you seem to think that the only choices are rational or irrational and that rational is always right. 'Tain't so. The third choice is non-rational and the result may be subject to analysis by rational examination whether arrived at by rational processes or not and they may be right or wrong, just as conclusions arrived at by rational processes can be wrong. Rationalization is also a lot of fun.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 PM

865 posts, read 1,077,633 times
I respect the fact that he's at least willing to openly confront the arguments that atheists have against believing in God, even though he still chooses not to embrace reason. Most Christians just bury their heads in the sand and keep their fingers firmly plugged into their ears (figuratively, of course) when it comes to the question of why there are atheists. Many become visibly distressed at the mere mention of the word, or the suspicion that someone they know does not believe in God.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,309 times
I like his style.

He has a "chance" to one day----Maybe---to >>> Wake Up!

Last edited by Balkins; 08-09-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times

Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is a fairly conservative evangelical who has at least learned not to confuse his beliefs with his sense of self. He can have discussions with unbelievers without taking their unbelief personally and feeding some sort of persecution and/or otherizing narrative.

He also has learned to admit that you can't convince people to believe with rational arguments. Which is a tacit admission that his only arguments are irrational.

Fundamentally he still believes he is correct and is untroubled by his beliefs being untethered from rational discourse and intellectual integrity. This may change someday; at least in the meantime he recognizes both the humanity of those who don't share his beliefs, and their right to their own personhood.
The problem I have is the Holy Spirit. Rational arguments screaming for testable evidences just don't work when dealing with spiritual matters. And it really doesn't help when anything that suggests the spiritual is summarily dismissed by skeptics.

Skeptics may as well argue that I can't prove that I love my wife for lack of testable evidence.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
@ froglipz:

Quoting Homer Simpson! Ok you win!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The problem I have is the Holy Spirit. Rational arguments screaming for testable evidences just don't work when dealing with spiritual matters. And it really doesn't help when anything that suggests the spiritual is summarily dismissed by skeptics.

Skeptics may as well argue that I can't prove that I love my wife for lack of testable evidence.
No. But would you expect us to believe that you love your wife if you couldn't provide any valid evidence that you actually had a wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality