Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,054,369 times

Advertisements

People take drugs until they have used up all the money, sold their house and their cars, lost their jobs, and wind up in jail and basically ruined their lives.

It is as though they feel that doing drugs will get them into heaven and to not do drugs will condemn them to hell and therefore any loss they experience on earth (no matter how great) is insignificant.

That is called idol worship.

At what point does the worship of God become idol worship?

Last edited by granpa; 08-10-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 PM

Floating point numbers are ideal for the brain which must operate over many orders of magnitude while only requiring a few digits of accuracy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-n...ble_difference

the entire floating point number is described by:
(-1)^sign × 2^(exponent) × 0.mantissa

The smallest possible nonzero number (E=-FFFF & M=0.000001) can be used to represent ±1/∞

The largest possible number (E=FFFF & M=FFFFFFFF) can be used to represent 屰

This ability to represent infinity is what gets us into trouble

Old 08-10-2015, 12:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,649,624 times
Generally Idolatry can be represented as follows;
Human + brain + idolization/fixating neural circuit + idol concept + physical representation = feel good

1. Thus the worshipping of god via idolatry is
Human + brain + idolization/fixation neural circuit + God concept + physical representation = feel good
God concept = omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, Omni-whatever being.

2. Thus the worshipping of god without idolatry is
Human + brain + idolization/fixation neural circuit + God concept + NO [physical representation] = feel good

3. Thus the worshipping of drugs is
Human + brain + idolization/fixation neural circuit + drug concept + physical drug taking = feel good

From the above one will note the process of idolization or fixation to something, i.e. god, drugs, hero, anything is fundamental the same at the level of the brain circuits of humans.

Thus when Muslims & others condemn those who pray to idols there is no difference in what they do fundamentally. The difference is merely in the form and the levels of abstraction.
Note not everyone can rely on abstraction effectively, therefore to force all Muslims into the abstraction format and model of worshipping do more harm than good for those who are not good at abstraction.

Those who need to worship via idolatry are usually effective because they use a near physical representation to their God concept.
Human + brain + idolization/fixation neural circuit + God concept + physical representation [near image] = feel good

Islam and Pseudo-Idolatry
Islam condemns idolatry but the majority of Muslims are actually not good in comprehending abstraction, thus they have to resort to pseudo-idolatry and rely on directing their attention to other objects which are not near image of their Allah, e.g. Mecca, Kaaba, Holy texts, religion of Islam, etc.
In such a case of pseudo-idolatry, their resultant is compromised.

Human + brain + idolization/fixation neural circuit + God concept + indirect physical representation = feel good is compromised

Therefore many of those who condemn idolatry are actually performing pseudo-idolatry and kicking their own backside.

As for drugs, there is no need for worshipping ... just do the real thing if need to but one need to be wary of the side effects and dangers.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM

The infinite makes any finite quantity insignificant.

The infinitesimal is insignificant when compared to any finite quantity.

Anyone that can comprehend "insignificance" can comprehend infinity

Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
People take drugs until they have used up all the money, sold their house and their cars, lost their jobs, and wind up in jail and basically ruined their lives.

It is as though they feel that doing drugs will get them into heaven and to not do drugs will condemn them to hell and therefore any loss they experience on earth (no matter how great) is insignificant.

I've never once known anyone that thought doing drugs would get them into heaven. To the contrary, the people I've known that used drugs or were addicted to alcohol often expressed that they wished they could stop because they knew it was bad for them. I've even heard them joke that they were going to "have a kegger in hell".

But I do get what you're saying -- drugs can consume a person's life and cause them to give up everything for the next hit.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:

No, it is called addiction. It is a mental problem, and is significantly mediated by genetics. Most addicts do not have a reasoning process at all, much less one that says drugs will get them into heaven. Mostly, drugs in fact get them out of hell. People self-medicate because of personal pain, anxiety, etc.

Of course there's an element involved where you idolize the drug or the experience of the drug, but that is a symptom, not a cause.
Quote:
In the fundamentalist belief system I grew up in, that is inherently impossible because an idol by definition is a false god or a god-substitute, and god is the only one it is appropriate to worship. Hence, worshipping god cannot be idolatry. The sin of idolatry isn't that the act of worship is wrong, it is that the object of worship is incorrect.

If someone were to be excessively fixated on worshipping god, on doctrine, on spiritual experience, that would be regarded as some kind of distortion of truth / correctness, not an indication that the whole "god thing" is potentially itself in error. That's one of the reasons literalist / fundamentalists types are so obsessed with correct doctrine. They don't want to get it wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
It is as though they feel that doing drugs will get them into heaven...
People that do drugs are very beloved by God.*
They want one thing so badly...they are just looking in the wrong place.

* I know this because I have stood in front of a 3 story drug house in Key West;
bums strung out on all 3 pink porches...God pumped His unquenchable compassion through
my being for them.
My Father showed me the profound depth of His Love for these searchers living in such pain...
wanting Him.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never once known anyone that thought doing drugs would get them into heaven. To the contrary, the people I've known that used drugs or were addicted to alcohol often expressed that they wished they could stop because they knew it was bad for them. I've even heard them joke that they were going to "have a kegger in hell".

But I do get what you're saying -- drugs can consume a person's life and cause them to give up everything for the next hit.
They dont think that but they do feel that way

Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 15,432 times
Quote:

Simply, when you construct an idol which you think resembles the god within you and then worship it day and night in the hope it will become animated and answer all your questions and grant all your wishes. At this exact point your worship becomes an 'idol worship' and this kind of worship has nothing to do with drugs.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Webb Wilder is the idol of idle youth.

www.webbwilder.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality