Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
You have an open invitation to visit me and Mrs. Crocodile in Central Kentucky anytime you care to despair at the state of humanity. In some of these towns, I would not be the least bit surprised to see someone being burned at the stake for having too many cats.
You and the Missus are welcome to spend a day or 5 here in the Ontario hinterland if you need a dose of sanity now and again.

There's more churches around here than you can shake a stick at, of every denomination you can think of and 7 you can't. Yet folks get along. You need to when you live on the borders of civilization and real trouble is just a blizzard and a ditch away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:17 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I thought the Scopes trial was the last we would see of these Neanderthal mindsets. It is immensely disturbing to see it still exists in the 20th century.
Much less the 21st ;-)

Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Here we go again....

Saga surrounding Kentucky clerk may not be over

And oooooh, what information we can read from that face...

Most commonly, raised eyebrows and downturned lip-corners signal sadness, but can also indicate guilt.

In the picture I linked to earlier, she's showing indecision and disapproval. In this one, sadness and guilt.

If were to make an educated guess, she was weighing the risk of trying to skirt the system (in the earlier picture) and now that she's taken that gamble and lost, she feels guilty (on a purely subconscious level) because she got caught.

Or, as someone once said:

'The man who is to be hanged for thieving is sorry that he got caught, not for being a thief.'
She feels no guilt at all. Fundamentalists who believe they are in the right are incapable of feeling guilt. What she feels is the realization she bit off more than she could chew and that things are going to go south for her real fast now if she continues to brazenly follow the path she put herself on with her warped Christian principles. I don't pray, but I'm praying for the day they handcuff her and haul her off to prison for 18 months after a stiff fine and impeachment, and watching Huckabee's jaw go slack as he reneges on his declaration that he will serve her sentence for her. Yep, when it comes to Christian hypocrisy look no further than the Davis/Huckabee two-ring circus replete with the two biggest clowns in the headlines today.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Much less the 21st ;-)
PPPpppphhhhhllllllbbbbttttttt!!!!

Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You and the Missus are welcome to spend a day or 5 here in the Ontario hinterland if you need a dose of sanity now and again.

There's more churches around here than you can shake a stick at, of every denomination you can think of and 7 you can't. Yet folks get along. You need to when you live on the borders of civilization and real trouble is just a blizzard and a ditch away.
It's a trip I'd give anything to make... I was born in the northern forests, and lived most of my life there. I don't really know how to live in a world where the evening sunlight doesn't have the proper slant to it. When I lived in Minnesota, I used to take my winter vacations on the Canadian border. Everyone else was flying to Cancun; I couldn't tolerate temperatures above zero.

But alas, Mrs. Crocodile is disabled, and can not travel. I fear I'll never see the Northland again - not the true North. But I do appreciate the sentiment. Next time a loon calls out from the silent twilight, please tell him I'm sorry. I miss him as much as he misses me, but my life is here now.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 AM

OK, I've been cutting Papa Francis a lot of slack, but this is beyond the pale. It's beneath the alleged dignity of his office to wade into a media circus like the one surrounding Kim Davis.

And then of course she has to go and brag about it on national TV. Very much like John Boehner, who found himself a lone with the Pope, who asked John to pray for him (a self-deprecation he probably uses all the time to set people at ease and deflect the hero-worship), and John then turned it into being all about John. "Imagine the Pope asking ME to pray for HIM?!". The CNN reporters relating John's relating of the alleged encounter were speechless and didn't know how to react and so went along with as Boehner insisted on recreating the moment for them for like 15 minutes.

Similarly Davis goes on national TV and exults about how His Holiness met with Little Old Nobody and how it "validates" her actions.

Sure it's possible the Pope doesn't personally understand the details of the Davis incident and simply went along with stuff his handlers set up, but it as at minimum gross malpractice on the part of his handlers then.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
OK, I've been cutting Papa Francis a lot of slack, but this is beyond the pale. It's beneath the alleged dignity of his office to wade into a media circus like the one surrounding Kim Davis.

And then of course she has to go and brag about it on national TV. Very much like John Boehner, who found himself a lone with the Pope, who asked John to pray for him (a self-deprecation he probably uses all the time to set people at ease and deflect the hero-worship), and John then turned it into being all about John. "Imagine the Pope asking ME to pray for HIM?!". The CNN reporters relating John's relating of the alleged encounter were speechless and didn't know how to react and so went along with as Boehner insisted on recreating the moment for them for like 15 minutes.

Similarly Davis goes on national TV and exults about how His Holiness met with Little Old Nobody and how it "validates" her actions.

Sure it's possible the Pope doesn't personally understand the details of the Davis incident and simply went along with stuff his handlers set up, but it as at minimum gross malpractice on the part of his handlers then.

I understand how the "Weeper of the House" would want to tell everyone about his meeting. It is THAT meeting that led him to his decision to retire.

But, I think there are two explanations as to how Kim Davis got to meet with the Pope:

1. She is lying.

2. Her lawyers decided to TRY to get her in to see him even though they didn't have an appointment. And while I don't know this Pope, I would believe he wouldn't turn ANYONE away who came to see him. So, he may not have really known who she was-just someone who wanted to meet with him.

Cat

Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
But, I think there are two explanations as to how Kim Davis got to meet with the Pope:

1. She is lying.

2. Her lawyers decided to TRY to get her in to see him even though they didn't have an appointment. And while I don't know this Pope, I would believe he wouldn't turn ANYONE away who came to see him. So, he may not have really known who she was-just someone who wanted to meet with him.

Cat
Per the article I cited, the Vatican chief spokesperson confirmed that the meeting took place.

Most of the rest of the details appear to come from Davis, who claims being summoned by a "surprise call from a church official".

But there is this from Francis upon his return to Rome:
Quote:
Upon his return home, Francis made bigger waves when he remarked that government officials have an inherent, "human right" to object to duties that violate their conscience — a reference that appeared aimed at the controversy surrounding Davis's refusal to grant wedding licenses to homosexuals. The Catholic Church has a long-held opposition to same-sex marriage.

"Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right," the pope said. "I can't have in mind all cases that can exist about conscientious objection but, yes, I can say that conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right."
Conscientious objection in Kim's case would be resigning her post. That would also have some actual moral force. Refusing to do her job and the ability to even claim that the Vicar of Christ agrees with her, is not a position of conscience.

Epic fail here, for the Church, the Pope, and as usual, Kim Davis.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

1. She is lying.

Cat
I think she met him..but not as the Ms Davis camp is trying to portray it. I'll be shocked if it was a one on one meeting. I'm guessing it was a bullpen meet and greet. The Pope walks into a room, everyone applauds, then he walks down a line of people. He shakes hands and gives the person a souvenir of their meeting. He asks everyone to pray for him. He's got aids who tell him who the person he's meeting is. Invitations to meet the Pope can be arranged by influential Catholics.

We'll know more when/if the photos are released. Hopefully her husband showed a little respect for the occasion and wore something other than his bib overalls.

Who knows. Maybe Ms Davis has had a life-changing experience and will convert to Catholicism, freeing herself from fundamentalism. She could then cut her hair, wear stylish clothes and say the rosary as penance for her sins.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:01 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Yeah that the one thing that makes me laugh about this noxious mess - Protestant Biblefundy simpering about being hugged by the Scarlet O'Hara of Babylon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality