Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
So actually it is an argument against the people (majority of voters ) that put her there.
What is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What is?
I think arleigh was suggesting that sanctioning Kim is arguing against the will of the voters.

What arleigh does not understand is that it is only arguing against the will of SOME of the voters and that in any case the purpose of voting is not to enforce religious dogma or practice or belief, and any voter who votes with that in mind, doesn't understand what voting or a secular Republic is even about.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Also, don't forget that for whatever reasons she stopped issuing ANY marriage licenses, including those for heterosexual couples. Some of whom are doubtless against SSM themselves.
Can you imagine what this must be like for some? Marriage licenses expire in 30 days. She stopped issuing marriage licenses in June. Surely there must be couples who have been planning their wedding for a year or more. The big day approaches. The couple visits the county clerk office to obtain their wedding license and are told "No, due to religious beliefs, we won't be issuing any marriage licenses." It is beyond ridiculous.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Since she was voted in that position isn't it possible that those who voted her there was because of her religious stand ?
Doesn't matter. She took an oath to do her job, including issuing marriage licenses, and to uphold the constitution. She even swore to god to do those things, so she is breaking a sworn oath to god.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's the first I've heard about the clerk being offered an accommodation. If that's true then I really don't support her actions since she has a way to not directly violate her beliefs. I don't think she is being reasonable by thinking her protest is going to force the Supreme Court to make a new ruling.
Especially since they have already declined to hear the case. It's over; the lower court ruling stands.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:26 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
She should die!!!

"Anyone who dares to disobey either the judge or the priest on duty is to be put to death" - Deuteronomy 17:12

Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Since she was voted in that position isn't it possible that those who voted her there was because of her religious stand ?
It's a more likely possibility that the subject of her religious leanings never came up. Why would it, for a clerical position.
Except maybe, maybe, some voters thought being a good solid Christian would reflect on how ethically she would view her responsibility to discharge her duties.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Appears to have vanished. I thought it might have been moved to the Christianity forum but don't see it there, either.

I have occasionally posted on a topic, gotten rep for it, and then it shows up in your list of reps as "N/A" and I am left wondering Wot Hoppened. Goes with the territory.

It is also possible it's simply a mistake. Such things happen. I don't know if a mod can "un delete" a topic once it's gone.

Personally I'd prefer for deleted topics to be replaced by an explanatory note but the forum software may not allow that and technically a mod is god ... they aren't obligated to explain anything they do.
I quit posting in Great Debates because every post of mine would be deleted. Never could get a reason why. I was even banned for a while because of my screen name, same one I am using now.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
So actually it is an argument against the people (majority of voters ) that put her there.
I do not know the faith of my County Clerk, or any other public official for that matter. Do you?

It seems I will be asking if those future politicians will be following the law, or their personal choice of faith. I will cast my ballot with that information in mind.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not know the faith of my County Clerk, or any other public official for that matter. Do you?

It seems I will be asking if those future politicians will be following the law, or their personal choice of faith. I will cast my ballot with that information in mind.
Yep, part of living in this country. Once Gay marriage became law, whether your for it or against it, your faith has no bearing on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality