Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Everytime someone tells me they ar a Christian and they don't go to church, it is a red flag. They are just usually kind of weird in their beliefs. They are not usually sound, doctrinally speaking.

Having said that, why would a Christian not want to fellowship with other believers? We are commanded to do so.
I dunno, maybe it's because some Christians are smart enough to realize that an all-powerful God doesn't need their money or their craven submission to a bully standing in a pulpit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Or any variation thereof...perhaps a guy named Jesus that waters the flowers around some rich surburbanite's home?
Or perhaps a guy named Jesus who is a thoracic surgeon and saves lives.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I dunno, maybe it's because some Christians are smart enough to realize that an all-powerful God doesn't need their money or their craven submission to a bully standing in a pulpit?
No...God doesn't need your money, nor does he expect you submit to a bully in a pulpit. I'm sorry if that's your view of Christianity.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:49 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place.
If you honestly and desperately hunger and thirst after righteousness (obedience to God) seek Jesus for the infilling of the Holy Spirit and accept nothing less than those things taught by Him.
Men are misleading and have their own agendas .
Spend you own time on your knees before God and seek Him through out the day, open your eyes and ears and pay attention to the things JESUS taught only .
This desperate love for Him, will yield far more than the academics men promote.
As for fellowship with other believers take what they say with a grain of salt.
Any man with in the scriptures or not , that teaches any thing contrary to the things Jesus said, is not necessarily God's word . John 1;
Jesus is the judge ,no other man period. no church period .no group no matter how big they boast, period.
Satan uses the scriptures to twist God's word and men love the capacity with scriptures to do just that .
However the one taught of God, has little to fear come judgment day. Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Which Jesus? Jesus, who is the 2nd person of the Trinity and is God himself? Or Jesus, the brother of Lucifer, who was born by God having sex with his spirit wife? Or Jesus, who is Michael the archangel? Or any variation thereof...perhaps a guy named Jesus that waters the flowers around some rich surburbanite's home?
God is NOT defined by what any of us mere humans THINK about Him . . . neither is Jesus. WE do NOT control or create what IS. We can either understand it or misunderstand it. Either way, WE do not define God or Jesus. THAT is the arrogance of religions, pretending they are the authoritative word on God. They are not and never will be. God IS agape love and Jesus unambiguously demonstrated what that means . . . but that is just my understanding. YMMV.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 PM

874 posts, read 636,270 times
Quote:
Which Jesus? Jesus, who is the 2nd person of the Trinity and is God himself? Or Jesus, the brother of Lucifer, who was born by God having sex with his spirit wife? Or Jesus, who is Michael the archangel? Or any variation thereof...perhaps a guy named Jesus that waters the flowers around some rich surburbanite's home?
Is this what you preach?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God is NOT defined by what any of us mere humans THINK about Him . . . neither is Jesus. WE do NOT control or create what IS. We can either understand it or misunderstand it. Either way, WE do not define God or Jesus. THAT is the arrogance of religions, pretending they are the authoritative word on God. They are not and never will be. God IS agape love and Jesus unambiguously demonstrated what that means . . . but that is just my understanding. YMMV.
My mileage doesn't vary.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
No...God doesn't need your money, nor does he expect you submit to a bully in a pulpit. I'm sorry if that's your view of Christianity.
It's the view I got from being raised in a sect of Christianity very similar to yours.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Old 09-05-2015, 09:54 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
One doesn't need a church to quit their jobs, leave their familes, give their money away to the poor and to follow Jesus in preparation for the Eschaton he foretold was coming soon, does one?

Or do we get to pick and choose which parts of Jesus' words to follow?

In all my life, I have never met a "Christian". I have met plenty of Pauline Christians, but never ever have I met an individual who followed Jesus' clear words alone. They have always colored their religion via the convenience of Paul.

I can't resist this, by the way:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality