Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 AM

11,026 posts, read 5,978,490 times

Advertisements

So Jesus has the last supper on Thursday evening, goes to Gethsemane, gets arrested, has six trials with a scourging in between, is seen by Pilate and Herod and Caiaphas and gets crucified by 9 on Friday morning (although one source puts it at midday) after being made to do the death march through Jerusalem carrying the patibulum to Golgotha outside of Jerusalem.

This seems like an very short time for all those events to take place in. Bear in mind there were two others being crucified as well and those two had to be scourged too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:53 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
So Jesus has the last supper on Thursday evening, goes to Gethsemane, gets arrested, has six trials with a scourging in between, is seen by Pilate and Herod and Caiaphas and gets crucified by 9 on Friday morning (although one source puts it at midday) after being made to do the death march through Jerusalem carrying the patibulum to Golgotha outside of Jerusalem.

This seems like an very short time for all those events to take place in. Bear in mind there were two others being crucified as well and those two had to be scourged too.
I'd say that fits into the time -scale neatly enough, especially if Pilate was already involved ever since the temple dust -up and thus the Sanhedrin trial is myth and at best was a preliminary questioning by the High Priest as per John, and the trial was hardly the formal affair with Pilate trying to release Jesus and the "Jews" baying for his blood. It was all done with swift Roman efficiency. Indeed, apart from time to kill till it was dawn, the crucifixion was only prolonged from before midday to dusk because you can last for hours, or days, even on the nails. Unless the legs are broken.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:01 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,978,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd say that fits into the time -scale neatly enough, especially if Pilate was already involved ever since the temple dust -up and thus the Sanhedrin trial is myth and at best was a preliminary questioning by the High Priest as per John, and the trial was hardly the formal affair with Pilate trying to release Jesus and the "Jews" baying for his blood. It was all done with swift Roman efficiency. Indeed, apart from time to kill till it was dawn, the crucifixion was only prolonged from before midday to dusk because you can last for hours, or days, even on the nails. Unless the legs are broken.
Even assuming Roman swiftness, it seems unreasonable that Jesus would have been arrested around midnight and been crucified by midday. However, a midday crucifixion would mean only three hours on the cross which would make the swoon hypothesis seem more plausible.

The bible states that the three were crucified together and implies a morning crucifixion which seems more reasonable but that would make the trial and flogging a tight squeeze.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Even assuming Roman swiftness, it seems unreasonable that Jesus would have been arrested around midnight and been crucified by midday. However, a midday crucifixion would mean only three hours on the cross which would make the swoon hypothesis seem more plausible.

The bible states that the three were crucified together and implies a morning crucifixion which seems more reasonable but that would make the trial and flogging a tight squeeze.
It depends upon how much Pilate was in the know. Cut the sanhedrin trial; cut the trial before Pilate and say that he already knew charge and verdict. Say he'd had the crosses knocked up while Jesus was in jail awaiting the dawn. The victims could be up on the crosses my midday, no problem. There is too much in the gospel account that can be questioned, and that means I at least can't take the gospel text as reliable clues.

Mind, if you are going to create a time -line as if the accounts were reliable, then you'd either have to find some way of compromising discrepancies or interpreting terms to mean something else (like out pal interpreting 'sabbath' to mean something oter than 'saturday' or deciding that someone's account is wrong.

Clearly (for example) John has no Sanhedrin trial. That contradicts the Synoptic story (which I regard as One account, not three). since the Sanhedrin trial makes no sense in itself and is just there to turn the actual charge (sedition) into an anachronistic Jewish - blasphemy charge - all part of shifting the blame to the Jews - the sanhedrin trial can safely be binned. Saves a lot of time.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:

It was just one other crucified that day in one account (canon) that wasn't burned to be removed from history based on the few hundred Bishops who involved themselves in such "heretical practice" of sanctifying new holy books, I believe.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 AM

I never knew that. I always thought it was forever three crosses. Can you elaborate?

As to timeline, I suggest it goes like this. (open to debate)

John the Baptist calls to repentance (Peraea side of the Jordan. Antipas' territory, out of the Roman remit, but too near Nabatea for anything that even looked like disaffection. Josephus explains that John was very critical of Antipas and Antipas and Aretas the Nabatean were moving towards hostilities. Antipas acts.

Jesus, who joined the baptist, skips back to Galilee and begins his own messianic mission. This is evidently announced at Bethsaida, to a considerable number of men (Matthew adds in women and children, but nobody else does).

September -october Jesus and his following set out for Peraea and after a short pause there (I suspect to gather yet more support) he sets out for Jerusalem.

Wednesday He arrives at Bethany and is anointed by Mary Magdalene at the supper.

Next morning, (John) he collects the donkey (placed by arrangement, of course) and proceeds down the way to Herod's bridge to the Temple as a Hoshanah procession. That places it at Tabernacles (1) and not Passover and explains how Jesus and his followers were able to get into the Temple under the noses of the heavy Roman festival guard.

Thursday It is clear (despite gospel fudging) that the temple takeover happens immediately. What Pilate does then isn't clear, but a furious response is to be expected. There are hints in Luke 13.1 and John 7.3 and 59 that Pilate slaughtered Jesus' followers and Jesus (John mentions "Tabernacles") hid and slips out of the temple.

Friday It may be that Pilate follows them to Gethsemane where there is a fight (hinted at and watered down in various ways by the gospels) and Jesus is taken. Perhaps interrogated by the High priest, but in any case, after a flogging, crucified next morning, along with aat least two other insurrectionists and probably more. And it might even be that the seamless robe - a borrowed Temple ephod - is true.
Of course, I could be wrong.

(1) Sukkhot is Autumn and Pesach in Spring. It follows that nobody was eating Passover or slaughtering Lambs (Oxen, yes) during that week, so dickering about Passover is pointless.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,955 times
Gospel harmony based on John - Religion-wiki - Wikia

Last edited by granpa; 03-28-2016 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

That certainly shows how much it doesn't harmonize. I couldn't check whether John's temple -cleansing had been restored or a Gap left where it ought to be because some damn' advert for mountain -bikes popped up.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 AM

I put a lot of work into that article. I am very much interested if people are unable to read it.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 AM

I logged out and loaded the page but dont see any adverts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality