Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 03:09 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Can't show you a live T-Rex either but there is plenty of proof that they existed.
There is more proof of a missing link than that there is a God.
You've seen these missing links???...Touched them with your own hands???...Studied them????...Ran genetic testing on them and dating tests????...Wow!...You're something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Someone else who won't accept the evidence unless it's walking around.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM

119 posts, read 174,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Did anyone actually read the article?...It's kinda sketchy...

A trove of bones hidden deep within a South African cave represents a new species of human ancestor, scientists announced Thursday in the journal eLife. Homo naledi, as they call it, appears very primitive in some respects—it had a tiny brain, for instance, and apelike shoulders for climbing. But in other ways it looks remarkably like modern humans. When did it live? Where does it fit in the human family tree? And how did its bones get into the deepest hidden chamber of the cave—could such a primitive creature have been disposing of its dead intentionally?

This is the story of one of the greatest fossil discoveries of the past half century, and of what it might mean for our understanding of human evolution.

Chance Favors the Slender Caver (These two were the only ones that were slender enough?)

Two years ago, a pair of recreational cavers entered a cave called Rising Star, some 30 miles northwest of Johannesburg. Rising Star has been a popular draw for cavers since the 1960s,

(Let's say that it's been popular since 1960, that would mean that it has been a popular recreation area for spelunking for the past 55 years.)

and its filigree of channels and caverns is well mapped. (Well mapped would imply well known.)

Steven Tucker and Rick Hunter were hoping to find some less trodden passage.

In the back of their minds was another mission. In the first half of the 20th century, this region of South Africa produced so many fossils of our early ancestors that it later became known as the Cradle of Humankind. Though the heyday of fossil hunting there was long past, the cavers knew that a scientist in Johannesburg was looking for bones.

(an agenda?)

The odds of happening upon something were remote. But you never know.

Deep in the cave, Tucker and Hunter worked their way through a constriction called Superman’s Crawl—because most people can fit through only by holding one arm tightly against the body and extending the other above the head, like the Man of Steel in flight. Crossing a large chamber, they climbed a jagged wall of rock called the Dragon’s Back. At the top they found themselves in a pretty little cavity decorated with stalactites. Hunter got out his video camera, and to remove himself from the frame, Tucker eased himself into a fissure in the cave floor.

(why not just stand behind the guy with the camera instead of putting yourself in a position where you make gat stuck? Seems pretty contrived to me.)

His foot found a finger of rock, then another below it, then—empty space.

(Hmmm, seems like a dangerous situation now.)

Dropping down, he found himself in a narrow, vertical chute, in some places less than eight inches wide.

(Considering that this was a well known, well trodden and well mapped recreational area, no one else knew this existed, I mean no one else in the past 55 years was curious enough to go where these guys claimed to have gone? That alone seems pretty sketchy to me.)

He called to Hunter to follow him. Both men have hyper-slender frames, all bone and wiry muscle. Had their torsos been just a little bigger, they would not have fit in the chute, and what is arguably the most astonishing human fossil discovery in half a century—and undoubtedly the most perplexing—would not have occurred.

(And there we have it!...We had to wait 55 years until these hyper-slender, all-bone and wiry individuals came along (55 years later) to discover this!...Because we all know that they were the only ones in 55 years with this type of body frame and this type of enthusiasm to explore a well known and well mapped cave system that no one else ever had!...)

- This Face Changes the Human Story. But How?

I find this highly suspect and contrived...I've found that both unscrupulous Scientific and Religious professionals will, if they cannot FIND empirical evidence, just make some to bolster their agenda...Not that I don't believe these things could be real, it is just that this article seems rag-sheetish....And I've read enough rag-sheets in the past to know...Very entertaining they were...
Exactly. It was only a few years ago that they found a lemur that was suppose to be a "missing link". Turns out its just a lemur.

There is also no logical reason for saying these bones were buried in a grave as is being implied.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Someone else who won't accept the evidence unless it's walking around.
No, I just question things, knowing human nature that there are those that will doing anything to prove their point...

To add to this, you remember about 15 to 20 years ago when an alleged archeologist found graves with 9' tall human remains claiming this proves the bible correct about the Nephilim?...No one ever saw them in a museum or on the news...Nothing...It turned out to be a hoax, but there were plenty of people that bought into it...I still see people posting such garbage as if it were reality...People will believe anything if that is what they want to believe...

Last edited by Richard1965; 09-13-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier View Post
Exactly. It was only a few years ago that they found a lemur that was suppose to be a "missing link". Turns out its just a lemur.

There is also no logical reason for saying these bones were buried in a grave as is being implied.
Well, I am not arguing for or against, merely pointing out what seems too pat, too contrived to me...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

If the lemur case is the one I am thinking about the creationist sites were all up in arms declaring thar the scientists discovered a fossil that was a missing link but was only a lemur. Actually one creationist site said it was a lizard.

I went to the original journal paper, you know the one announcing the find in the first place. The article was about a new ,
lemur species and the uncertainty of where it fits in lemur evolution. The paper made it clear that this species lived after the lemurs had already split from our ancestors therefore was nene in our lineage.

The prime reason I dislike the creationist sites is there total dishonesty of what they state. In the lemur case the only excuse for claiming that a pre human was mistaken for a lemur or the other way is failure to read the article.

Interesting that the doubt of the honesty of the caves has been expressed by people who follow the dishonest creationist side. Cavers d9 find new parts of a cave much the same way that climbers still find new approaches to well traveled summits.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Well, actually, they say, while genetically related to primates (chimps), we didn't descend from them after all rather both humans and primates branched out from a common ancestor which was the Lemur...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Interesting that the doubt of the honesty of the caves has been expressed by people who follow the dishonest creationist side. Cavers d9 find new parts of a cave much the same way that climbers still find new approaches to well traveled summits.
If you are talking about me then as I posted, I am not arguing for or against it merely pointing things out that seem just too pat...

If you read my post you'll see that the article stated that they were in a well known part of the cave system, one well mapped, if you notice their ascent to where they claimed to have found these bones, each section had a name for it implying that it was well known and well frequented and well mapped, for that matter, to actually have a name for the section, that tells me that something is amiss, it tells me that a well trodden, well mapped area is well known over a span of 55 years and these guys couldn't possibly be the only ones in 55 years that were that enthusiastic enough to say, "Hey!, let's check that narrow crevice out and see what we find!"...Really?...Come on...

Old 09-13-2015, 04:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
If you are talking about me then as I posted, I am not arguing for or against it merely pointing things out that seem just too pat...

If you read my post you'll see that the article stated that they were in a well known part of the cave system, one well mapped, if you notice their ascent to where they claimed to have found these bones, each section had a name for it implying that it was well known and well frequented and well mapped, for that matter, to actually have a name for the section, that tells me that something is amiss, it tells me that a well trodden, well mapped area is well known over a span of 55 years and these guys couldn't possibly be the only ones in 55 years that were that enthusiastic enough to say, "Hey!, let's check that narrow crevice out and see what we find!"...Really?...Come on...
But they were also one the lookout for fossils which meant that theyou were willing to make the effort to search for things they otherwise would not have. Many fossils have been found in well traveled areas because those traveling it neither knew what they should be looking for nor actually looked. Often when someone finds a fossil many others are found nearby relatively quick not because there are more people but because there are more people looking.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM

Simpsons did it!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality