Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:56 PM

245 posts, read 625,454 times

Advertisements

lots of floods happened ya'know, and still do. But there simply isn't enough water on the planet to cover it more than 300 feet or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM

98 posts, read 273,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
lots of floods happened ya'know, and still do. But there simply isn't enough water on the planet to cover it more than 300 feet or so.
I agree. I think the view of the "whole world" was what they knew. I think it was a regional flood, not a world flood. I did happen to see a show on the history channel last night that had a lot of "ancient" sites that were supposed to have been submerged, possibly at the time of the "Great Flood". Most are in under 100 ft of water. But the most interesting one was flint tools, as well as "fireplaces", found in the English channel between the Isle of White, and the coast of England. At that time England and France were connected. The tools and charcoal have been dated to 7,500 years ago, or BC. I don't remember which. My point is floods happened all over, thats very true.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM

actualy it is entirely posible that the story dates back to the end of the last ice age, when there seems to have been many highly advanced cultures who could have forseen the oncomming deludge. shame so much archeological evidence was disstroyed, guess we will never realy know

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM

98 posts, read 273,200 times
Quote:
actualy it is entirely posible that the story dates back to the end of the last ice age, when there seems to have been many highly advanced cultures who could have forseen the oncomming deludge. shame so much archeological evidence was disstroyed, guess we will never realy know
I couldn't agree more. It could make you cry to think of how different, and better, the world would be. Wish we could spend more time trying to find out rather than all the crap we do to each other now.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
I have seen on here where many christians seem to imply that scientist are getting together to disprove the bible, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on
I can't say I define myself as a Christian, but I do believe the Bible is a holy text... so I'll answer anyway

I don't see any problem with religion and science coexisting. I see science as a way to discover and try to explain the physical realm of God's creation.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM

unless you realy want to twist things the biggest problem with the xtian type religions and science is evolution, those two sides simply cannot be reconsiled.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i dont see conflict.
religion is for the most part literature, having to do with belief.
science is proven fact and some theories.
how does this conflict?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
unless you realy want to twist things the biggest problem with the xtian type religions and science is evolution, those two sides simply cannot be reconsiled.
Not so... not all Christians believe the Bible is infallible. It's a text written by man, subject to man's err. At best it's a compilation of holy texts which was decided by man which ones made the cut and which didn't.

Granted some Christians believe it word for word, but sweeping generalizations are unfair from all angles.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,038 times
Quote:
I have seen on here where many christians seem to imply that scientist are getting together to disprove the bible, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on
No scientist is out to get Christians. Unfortunately no one person on this planet is neutral. And even Jesus said it well when he said if you are not for me you are against me. So a non-chistian scientist will attempt to explain the world around him based on his own human reasoning. Human reasoning is fallible. God is infallible. Since the Bible is the word of God, the Bible stands as the final word. And we as Christians understand that science when conducted correctly will amass more proff in support of the Bible. Unfortunately all of creation is what we call the "general revelation of God". And as such it points to a creator but nothing more. We cannot prove God when studying nature. And science will never understand God, because sceince in limited. Even if conducted correctly will only give finite circumstances and finite number of calculations that will point to a creator. I would rather go to the full revelation of God that is given in the Bible. That is until I stand before him face to face.

Non-christian scientists therefore can easily fall into error because they are limited in information and their reasoning is fallible. Often science disproves the bible or supports fallible theories like Evolution because of this.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,762 times
I had an anthropology professor who claimed that science and religion are not at odds. That they are completely different subjects and share little to no corrilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality