Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 PM

245 posts, read 625,454 times

Advertisements

I have seen on here where many christians seem to imply that scientist are getting together to disprove the bible, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
I have seen on here where many christians seem to imply that scientist are getting together to disprove the bible, that there is some kind of conspiracy going on
Based on my experience from this forum, I do think that some feel their beliefs threatened by science. As I don't want to turn this into a 300 page debate, I'll just leave it at that.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
People have been trying to do this for how many years? Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God stands forever". I'm not worried

Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM

98 posts, read 273,200 times
I'm a Christian, so from that faith, no. I believe that there is some harmony between my faith, and science. Here are a few things that they agree on.

1) Let there be light: the Universe was created in a big explosion from which everything came into existence... and it was bright! Even the order of what was created first, to last, has been confirmed, No I don't believe it was done in 7 days, but then there is debate as to what is a day to God.

2) Man was created from dust: we are all, everything, created from star dust.

3) The earth is a sphere.

4) There are more stars in the heavens than all the grains of sand on all the oceans.

There is more, but to second the posts above, I'm not going to write a novel on this subject.

P.S. This list will be added to as our knowledge increases.

Last edited by gdblauvelt; 01-28-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
I'm a Christian, so from that faith, so. I believe that there is some harmony between my faith, and science. Here are a few things that they agree on. ...

3) The earth is a sphere.

I don't think you want to go there. This board has seen LOTS of discussion of this one and whether it is reflected in the Bible's text.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM

98 posts, read 273,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I don't think you want to go there. This board has seen LOTS of discussion of this one and whether it is reflected in the Bible's text.
Yes, it doesn't say explicitly that the Earth is a "sphere". But if you read the passages on creation in genesis it is what is described. Day on one side, night on the other, evening and morning between them... ie, a sphere. But true that one could be left to interpretation. As well as other possible shapes of the Earth, a Bucky Ball for example. But do the math, 4 - 1 = still enough examples to prove my point!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
We've tossed this subject around in a number of topics. There are a number of people who think that science is very biased against the existence of God and in a sense they're right. This is because the expansion of human knowledge over the past few hundred years seems to contradict the possibility of any supernatural events, the age of the earth has been shown to be very ancient and the very belief in a God can't be backed up by any scientific or rational foundation. I met a very interesting young woman on a flight between Guadalajara and Phoenix who was sitting next to me and we had a very long but fascinating discussion. She was a graduate student involved in various environmental and biological studies but she also happened to believe in God. She told me that certain professors came right out and told her that they were critical of her religious beliefs and felt that it might impede her understanding of certain scientific principles. She was obviously very intelligent and expressed herself quite well. I came away from the conversation with a great deal of respect for her intellect and her grasp of both sides of the argument. I'm firmly in the atheist camp but I can admire someone who uses their intellectual abilities and comes to a different conclusion than I do.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Lots of christians/believers and myself included do not see this or think that either..Without science, we would still be in the stoneage as far as I am concerned..I think most scientists are way too busy making life a little easier and in researching ways to make us live a little longer so we have more time to figure out how to get along

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
We've tossed this subject around in a number of topics. There are a number of people who think that science is very biased against the existence of God and in a sense they're right. This is because the expansion of human knowledge over the past few hundred years seems to contradict the possibility of any supernatural events, the age of the earth has been shown to be very ancient and the very belief in a God can't be backed up by any scientific or rational foundation. I met a very interesting young woman on a flight between Guadalajara and Phoenix who was sitting next to me and we had a very long but fascinating discussion. She was a graduate student involved in various environmental and biological studies but she also happened to believe in God. She told me that certain professors came right out and told her that they were critical of her religious beliefs and felt that it might impede her understanding of certain scientific principles. She was obviously very intelligent and expressed herself quite well. I came away from the conversation with a great deal of respect for her intellect and her grasp of both sides of the argument. I'm firmly in the atheist camp but I can admire someone who uses their intellectual abilities and comes to a different conclusion than I do.
Interesting post Montana. I think those scientists who do believe in God deal with a certain rationale that they do believe in a Creator, of sorts, but not a deceptive one.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdblauvelt View Post
Yes, it doesn't say explicitly that the Earth is a "sphere". But if you read the passages on creation in genesis it is what is described. Day on one side, night on the other, evening and morning between them... ie, a sphere. But true that one could be left to interpretation. As well as other possible shapes of the Earth, a Bucky Ball for example. But do the math, 4 - 1 = still enough examples to prove my point!

Not really. Check out the basis for the other side of the argument found in other threads on this board. The Hebrews and their sister cultures in the Middle East (including Egyptians) believed in a flat Earth and a vaulted sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality