Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times

Advertisements

What is spirituality?

Does it have a commonly accepted definition? Or does it mean very different things to different people? There's the dictionary definition, but there seem to be different meanings depending on who I talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What is spirituality?

Does it have a commonly accepted definition? Or does it mean very different things to different people? There's the dictionary definition, but there seem to be different meanings depending on who I talk to.
Yes it does.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Or does it mean very different things to different people?
Definitely.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:25 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
What is spirituality?

Spirituality is the state of being spiritual, which is being grounded in the here and now, and not being in the Future or the Past. In a spiritual state, you are connected and aware of the things around you. It can be a source of inspiration to motivate one.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Spirituality for a lot of Christians I've witnessed seems to be "being high on ideas of ultimate creation and after-life and imagined worship of things "unseen" and outside our mundane world so that you can ignore the things around you (especially the ones you wouldn't be able or willing to do anything about anyway)."

In a psychology lab a cousin of mine worked in they defined Spirituality as a compound of feelings/emotions/believes of having
1. peace (i.e. feeling detached from extraordinary passions and agonies, etc)
2. meaning (i.e. understanding your place in your assumed cosmological model and loving it.)
3. and faith ( i.e. resilient hope, especially in the sense of a resilient loyalty to previous believes which are only strengthened by questioning and contradiction, regardless if through question avoidance, false rationalization, or anything else).

Old 09-16-2015, 05:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Spirituality is "ideas or practices" that are meaningful to the person holding them or engaging in them.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
According to airline as well as other transportation forms, souls are just a body count.

Whoops.....think this was the wrong thread

Last edited by old_cold; 09-16-2015 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
I'd say it means different things to different people, certainly.
One is spiritual believing in Eastern thoughts...while another is spiritual, maybe
thinking in Native American ideas, see?

The main point is we/they are saying, "We do not belong to organized religion or
standardized dogmas.
We are free thinkers...often learning, changing and growing...not rigid, stagnant, stuck
in
one belief system."

My opinion, of course...I'm not a spokesman for those not belonging to a religion, yet
are spiritual.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
There are people with a "familiar" that rely on their guidance in life , the problem is that one does not know what they are buying into in that situation and often times it's not good in the end.

I know the Lord the miracle of rebirth spiritually, and the infilling of the Holy Spirit and His tutelage ,and the contrast to other spirit beings for sure.
God warns of the influence of other spirits, because it is a strong enticement for success, sex, and riches and greed, but it does not lead one in God's will, at all.
Knowledge is not spiritual rebirth, nor is emotion ,or hanging around others, nor is getting in the mood or singing.
Not all thought is my thought , so I must weigh and determine it's origin, before I accept it.
By speaking any thought I receive , or acting on it, I accept it.
I choose to seek after and respond to only what comes from God. I am not perfect, I am still a work in progress.
There are thousands of spirits in this world ,some choose men , some men choose with out even knowing it .
Except for those demon possessed , no one can be forced to say or do any thing contrary to their will. and possession is still a yielding to that spirit's will.
One can still choose to fight it.
Often the most adamant resistant to believing in the spirit, are them selves the strongest influenced by negative spirits. Nothing more primitive that unbridled emotion the spirit world know only too well.
To think something is stupid, that is several thousand years old, is foolish.
And for those of you that might poo poo the spiritual ,investigate the "CERN" project on your own .

Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
To think something is stupid, that is several thousand years old, is foolish.
Are you saying longevity is sufficient proof of fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality