Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times

Advertisements

I don't think that anyone who believes in God conceives of him as having a sexual nature, either male or female, so why do we always refer to God as a male? If either gender were appropriate I would think that the female gender would be more descriptive of a being that "gave birth" so to speak to the entire universe and all living things including human beings. I suspect that the answer is because the concept of a God was developed in a male dominated society and the greatness and all knowing nature of a powerful God couldn't be bestowed upon a simple woman. Still, wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God in a non gender manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,804 times
Jesus referred to Him as "Father".

Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,266 times
Exactly what I was thinking. Jesus refers several times in the Bible to God as the Father.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,285 times
I am sorry that I always reference this book, but it does such a wonderful job of explaining things and it also gives biblical references which I could not do.
So, from Did Adam and Eve have Belly Buttons?:
"...God is a pure spirit and not literally male, we speak of God in masculine terms because God's relation to us is like that of a father (CCC 239). This does not mean men are better than women, only that some aspects of "maleness" better express some aspects of God's relationship to us than "femaleness." Both men and women are made in God's image (Gn 1:27). One reason the Chruch calls God "Father" is Jesus. Our relation to God is a sharing in Jesus' relation to God. He knew and revealed God as Father (Mt 11:27; CCC 240). In fact, He said, "When you pray, say 'Father'"(Lk 11:2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
...and the greatness and all knowing nature of a powerful God couldn't be bestowed upon a simple woman.

Were you hoping to stir the pot?

Weatherologist
(just a simple woman)

Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM

weatherologist wrote:
Quote:
Were you hoping to stir the pot?
Moi? I can't believe that you would think such a thing.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I believe christianity along with most other religions were made up by men for the comfort of men...patriarchal attempts at controlling their women...so of course the figures you are supposed to worship would be male.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:23 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
"...God is a pure spirit and not literally male, we speak of God in masculine terms because God's relation to us is like that of a father (CCC 239). This does not mean men are better than women, only that some aspects of "maleness" better express some aspects of God's relationship to us than "femaleness." Both men and women are made in God's image (Gn 1:27). One reason the Chruch calls God "Father" is Jesus. Our relation to God is a sharing in Jesus' relation to God. He knew and revealed God as Father (Mt 11:27; CCC 240). In fact, He said, "When you pray, say 'Father'"(Lk 11:2).
Does this mean Jesus had two mommies?.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I believe christianity along with most other religions were made up by men for the comfort of men...patriarchal attempts at controlling their women...so of course the figures you are supposed to worship would be male.
Agreed, 100%. When speaking of the Christian-Judeo-Islamic God, I refer to "he," but when speaking of possible deities in general I always (unless I forget!) write s/he.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 PM

253 posts, read 640,660 times
Well, in Christianity it is pretty widely believed that God is a male, in Mormon Christianity we believe that God is a male but that he has a wife who is equally as supreme, he just doesn't talk about her because we already take his name in vain and he doesn't want such disrespect on his wife (I don't think that's the best way that our beliefs could be described, but that's the best I could do) Jews on the other hand, many don't believe that God has a specific gender, if you look into the Hebrew language, you will notice that there is no neuter gender, that is what some Jewish scholars say is the reason God is referred to as male, they would have to describe him as male or female and since the concept was born into a patriarchle society God was referred to as a male. And in English we don't really have much of a neuter gender form either, I believe God is a male, but even if he had no gender, I think it would be much more respectful to refer to God as He rather than It.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM

irishmom wrote:
Quote:
Does this mean Jesus had two mommies?.
Hey, you're on the ball today. I think that anyone who believes in the virgin birth would not consider God to have acted in a sexual manner, afterall, she's a virgin, right? It would have to be considered a miraculous event that God caused to happen that had nothing to do with sex or gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality