Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Stumbled across a new term that aptly describes what Christianity has become. While a political definition has been attached to it:

Quote:
The act of using Jesus to justify any idiotic political ideal.
Moderator cut: cutting out unnecessary political remark

I think the ideology behind the term reaches much deeper than that:

Quote:
1. One of the more obvious aspects of the Christianity-Insanity is precisely the fact that the vast majority of the people who see themselves as “good Christians” are among the most closed-minded people on Earth.

2. Thus, the simple reality is that the vast majority of the people who look at themselves as Jesus’ true followers would most likely reject Jesus if they encountered him today!
3. millions of people seriously think they are “good Christians” and are absolutely convinced that they will be saved, yet their actions and words do not live up to the basic requirements defined by Christ

4. Mahatma Ghandi said:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

5. Christians feel they are fundamentally superior to people who are not members of any Christian religion. Christians believe that their salvation is guaranteed by the fact that they are members of a Christian church. Christians believe that even though they do not live up to the requirements defined by Jesus, they will nevertheless be saved, whereas non-Christians will not be saved—even if they do live up to the standard set by Christ.
Awakening from the Christianity-Insanity

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-24-2015 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Let's leave politics out, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Another "truth" among Christian pastors that is totally Christinsanity and is secretly shared among many pastors but never divulged to their "flocks"

Quote:
When I was a United Methodist pastor, I learned an unsettling thing from my own experiences and those of some colleagues serving other churches: Many ministers keep secrets about the Bible, lest things they learned in seminary (or otherwise know) hurt church attendance and the Sunday offering.
This put some friends of mine in a terrible quandary, forced to say things from the pulpit that were doctrinally demanded but which they had come to privately question. As for me, I resolved the matter by leaving the pastorate. When I did, I got calls of congratulations from two nearby ministers. One of those calls was especially poignant. He said I was fortunate to have other skills from my previous work experience that I could draw on. But he added that all he had been trained to do was to be a minister and that he felt trapped in the pulpit saying things he no longer believed in order to continue supporting his family.
It’s time our secrets about the Bible came out. It’s time for Christians to know what their pastors won’t tell them.
8 Things Your Pastor Will Never Tell You About the Bible

Old 10-24-2015, 11:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Another "truth" among Christian pastors that is totally Christinsanity and is secretly shared among many pastors but never divulged to their "flocks"

8 Things Your Pastor Will Never Tell You About the Bible
Several of those are debatable, at best. Many are patently untrue.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:41 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Then enlighten us, at least concerning the patently untrue.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You can find 10,000 articles related to this if you google it, Pastor Vizio. It is such a well-known issue/problem in the clergy that dozens if not hundreds of books have been written about the issue. It is why the Clergy Project was started---to help tens of thousands of pastors deal with the loss of their faith by connecting to other pastors in similar situations and to get counseling because of the guilt of having to live a lie.

http://clergyproject.org/

And then we have lone wolf pastor Vizio saying it's untrue. Those rose-colored Christian glasses must really paint the world a lovely shade of pink, Pastor.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You can find 10,000 articles related to this if you google it, Pastor Vizio. It is such a well-known issue/problem in the clergy that dozens if not hundreds of books have been written about the issue. It is why the Clergy Project was started---to help tens of thousands of pastors deal with the loss of their faith by connecting to other pastors in similar situations and to get counseling because they have to live a lie.

Current & Former Religious Professionals Not Believing In The Supernatural

And then we have lone wolf pastor Vizio saying it's untrue. Those rose-colored Christian glasses must really paint the world a lovely shade of pink.
I've heard of all those issues. Some get a lot of ink among the liberal theologians like Ehrmann...but they really aren't much of an issue.

Is there one in particular you'd like ot discuss?

Old 10-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I've heard of all those issues. Some get a lot of ink among the liberal theologians like Ehrmann...but they really aren't much of an issue.

Is there one in particular you'd like ot discuss?
Hmmm.....let's see what we've got here: I'm being invited (I'd say suckered) into a debate.....err..."discussion" with someone who cannot possibly be persuaded their viewpoint just might be wrong.....

Okay, I'm a sucker.

Let's go with #7:

Parts of the Bible Were Intentionally Written to Disagree with Other Parts of the Bible

Quote:
Not only does the Bible have many contradictions, some of them are clearly intentional.
An Old Testament example is found in Psalm 51: Verses 16 and 17 say God does not desire sacrifice but only a contrite heart.
But immediately after those verses,

Quote:
in a clearly intentional contradiction, someone who disagreed with that came along and added, immediately afterward, Verses 18 and 19 saying that God would be delighted by sacrifices that would follow a rebuilding of Jerusalem.
So we have:

Quote:
You do not delight in sacrifice, you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
followed immediately by

Quote:
Then you will delight in sacrifices ...you will delight in burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.
Like ducks in a barrel, as the saying goes.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.....let's see what we've got here: I'm being invited (I'd say suckered) into a debate.....err..."discussion" with someone who cannot possibly be persuaded their viewpoint just might be wrong.....

Okay, I'm a sucker.

Let's go with #7:

Parts of the Bible Were Intentionally Written to Disagree with Other Parts of the Bible

But immediately after those verses,

So we have:

followed immediately by

Like ducks in a barrel, as the saying goes.
The key to it is what KIND of sacrifices. Verse 17 says that the sacrifice God wants is a broken spirit. So in verse 19, he wants a sacrifice made RIGHTEOUSLY -- with the right attitude.

Just read the context. It's not difficult.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The key to it is what KIND of sacrifices. Verse 17 says that the sacrifice God wants is a broken spirit. So in verse 19, he wants a sacrifice made RIGHTEOUSLY -- with the right attitude.

Just read the context. It's not difficult.
So basically you're saying that the Bible says when you slaughter an animal on an altar do it with a contrite heart or God doesn't want the unsavory smell of uncontrite burnt blood wafting into his nostrils. If you slaughter the animal with a contrite heart then the burnt blood with be a savory smell that God will delight in.

You do realize of course, Pastor Vizio, that it doesn't say that at all, I hope.

Anyone can see that the thing that makes the sacrifice a delight in God's sight is not a contrite heart but the restoration of the walls of Jerusalem:

Quote:
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.

18 May it please you to prosper Zion,
to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19 THEN you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
in burnt offerings offered whole;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.
Like I said, "ducks in a barrel".

Old 10-24-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
So basically you're saying that the Bible says when you slaughter an animal on an altar do it with a contrite heart or God doesn't want the unsavory smell of uncontrite burnt blood wafting into his nostrils. If you slaughter the animal with a contrite heart then the burnt blood with be a savory smell that God will delight in.

You do realize of course, Pastor Vizio, that it doesn't say that at all, I hope.

Anyone can see that the thing that makes the sacrifice a delight in God's sight is not a contrite heart but the restoration of the walls of Jerusalem:

Like I said, "ducks in a barrel".
It means that we do what God commands not simply because we are following a religious system--but because we love God.

He doesn't want someone to just go through the motions.

As for the walls in Jerusalem...what would motivate them to do that? It's obedience to God. It's a love for God. It's not just doing it halfway, but it's living a life that is dedicated to what God wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality