Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times

Advertisements

Let's get some perspective. Last night I was lucid dreaming and it dawned on me that we are thinking about things backward. That the thoughts are a product of the mind, and our dreams being random synapses firing... nah, that's not right. We have basically full function in dreams if we can keep Adhd in check. Meanwhile with all the rules and limits of this world, it seems like this world is the fake. That rather than the mind being product of the body, the body is a "dream" of the mind. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:58 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
It's not an actionable thought IMO. If we can't wake up from the dream then the dream has to be treated as real. If there's no information about the supposedly "real" world then it might as well not exist.

Of course then along will come somebody purporting to show you how to "wake up". And I'll believe that person when the person who wakes up disappears before my eyes.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:37 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
That's a thought that we give ourselves. Like the idea that if you're not sure it's a dream, pinch yourself, and pain means it's real. But besides Hollywood, this appears to be nonsense. How real is pain? I'm pretty sure there's VR simulations that can produce "pain" with no actual injury. These sensations don't necessarily prove reality, only the preconceptions we have been taught.
There's a (Buddhist?) saying "am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a human, or a human dreaming I'm a butterfly?"
Regarding waking up. We during our "waking hours" have a specific sign off period, called dreaming. And a sign on period called waking up. But there are things called night terrors where you cannot control the impulse to wake up and are stuck in the dream until it ends. And certain medicine makes you fall asleep without remembering doing so. I've had it happen during a dental appointment, they gave me some sort of medicine, I never felt the prick, they're like "now we'll start the process... and now we're done." And I literally blinked. If we can go to sleep without remembering, likewise waking up is an added part. Besides, I've had nested dreams where I "woke up" but was still dreaming only to wake again.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Other than the movie "The Matrix", I find it hard to comprehend that our five senses are an illusion.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Let's get some perspective. Last night I was lucid dreaming and it dawned on me that we are thinking about things backward. That the thoughts are a product of the mind, and our dreams being random synapses firing... nah, that's not right. We have basically full function in dreams if we can keep Adhd in check. Meanwhile with all the rules and limits of this world, it seems like this world is the fake. That rather than the mind being product of the body, the body is a "dream" of the mind. Thoughts?
Red pill, Blue pill...Rabbit hole...

Old 10-04-2015, 11:19 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If we can't wake up from the dream then the dream has to be treated as real. If there's no information about the supposedly "real" world then it might as well not exist.
there is plenty of of information about the "real" world, which is the life and activities of the soul.
we wake up from the dream when we begin to explore and live our daily life from our soul perspective, which is the eternal part of ourselves currently wearing a temporary physical body. it's like putting on and taking off a coat. the soul puts on and takes off the physical body.

it is the person who rejects and refuses to explore this other part of themselves, their own soul, that stays stuck in the very confining limited dreary place of "the physical world is all there is"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-04-2015 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 11:33 AM

think of one of those computer games with, say, 50 or 60 levels, where you have to pick up the treasures, or know the secrets, or acquire the skills to get to the next level. Each level up and up and up is more and more interesting and engaging and fun.

a person is still stuck on the first level if they say the physical world is all there is. no wonder people turn cynical and bitter and bored and frustrated. it's not fun to stay on the same level going round and round. there are all sorts of clues and hints and even outright instructions to get to the next level.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-04-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
it seems like this world is the fake. That rather than the mind being product of the body, the body is a "dream" of the mind. Thoughts?
yes that is correct

and that is why we are told so often that if we want to change our life, we have to change our thoughts

it is our thoughts and feelings that create our reality
literally
the good news is that puts us in the drivers seat in terms of having immense power to change something if we don't like it

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-04-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 12:21 PM

248 posts, read 175,370 times
Quote:
The Mind is the domain of the Internal, True Self, in waking life it is working in conjunction with the external self, the body. Truth is we are gods of our bodily/external realm, everything that exist in the outside world exist in us in some form or matter, we have all the elements in our bodies, for the most part however, were ignorant to our minds and bodies.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
The "null hypothesis" would be: the world we perceive to be real is real.

Evidence would be needed to show otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality