Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 05:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,660,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
LOL! Yeah ...what you said.

I just got back from a 7 day ban haha!
And the board was greatly diminished without your spiffy contributions!
You should be a pro writer...you definitely have the "gift".
And...they should have considered the loss & sorrow suffered by those that have proclaimed their love for you! I can see them now...pining, looking up at your profile picture that they printed out, brought down to the local Staples to have blow up to poster size, and hung on their wall! It must have been terrible for them! HaHa!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
In science, we ask, What’s the evidence?, before believing.

Religion asks you to believe first and consider the evidence later, if ever.

Most of the things pushed by religion have zero evidence to support the claims.
in science the experiments sometimes stifle imagination. I think in a good way. We are not allowed to just make sit up to suit a belief statement. O course some of us hold more true to that than others.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
in science the experiments sometimes stifle imagination.
Yep I would expect a statement like this coming from a layman.

Believing in a man created religion that is not supported by any evidence at all is what truly stifles the imagination.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Quote:
Yep I would expect a statement like this coming from a layman.

Believing in a man created religion that is not supported by any evidence at all is what truly stifles the imagination.
not a layman. I knew a young person still studying wouldn't get it. You will as you learn more, maybe. If you get off your anti-religion rants that is.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,003 times
Quote:
not a layman. I knew a young person still studying wouldn't get it. You will as you learn more, maybe. If you get off your anti-religion rants that is.
You will learn more once you open up your mind to actually learning new things vs. just blindly believing in a man created religion.

Still studying? Well yes and no. My college days are over but I am a life long learner. I am far beyond the things that you are still struggling to comprehend.

As far as a layman is concerned, I can only go by your posts which clearly demonstrate that you lack a scientific background.

There is nothing wrong at all with being a layman...but there is something wrong with a layman who bashes or misrepresents science that they don't understand.

I know plenty of layman that love learning about science.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-23-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You will learn more once you open up your mind to actually learning new things vs. just blindly believing in a man created religion.

Still studying? Well yes and no. My college days are over but I am a life long learner. I am far beyond the things that you are still struggling to comprehend.

As far as a layman is concerned, I can only go by your posts which clearly demonstrate that you lack a scientific background.

There is nothing wrong at all with being a layman...but there is something wrong with a layman who bashes or misrepresents science that they don't understand.

I know plenty of layman that love learning about science.
It is typical that those that are "entrenched"...the Religious in some theology and dogma, the Scientists in some scientific field and experimentation...have a lot of trouble seeing outside their purview.
It gets so bad, they actually consider only the other as the one that is narrow-minded and biased...and are oblivious to the fact that describes them perfectly as well.
Though, it would figure, those that are blinded (by the culture they live or work in)...can not see (the merit of other views or ways).
Too bad...it would be a much nicer world if they did.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And the board was greatly diminished without your spiffy contributions!
You should be a pro writer...you definitely have the "gift".
And...they should have considered the loss & sorrow suffered by those that have proclaimed their love for you! I can see them now...pining, looking up at your profile picture that they printed out, brought down to the local Staples to have blow up to poster size, and hung on their wall! It must have been terrible for them! HaHa!
Now you're getting carried away.

Though I did have someone once "steal" a photo of myself off the internet (wasn't my fault, it was one of my professors) and use it as his desktop background.

I found myself rather ... creeped out. *shiver*

Old 10-23-2015, 08:46 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,359 times
Quote:
What's strange is that, as a general rule, education is inversely proportional to religiosity.

Thus the more he learns, the more anti-religion he is likely to be.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Now you're getting carried away.

Though I did have someone once "steal" a photo of myself off the internet (wasn't my fault, it was one of my professors) and use it as his desktop background.

I found myself rather ... creeped out. *shiver*
You were his desktop "wallpaper"?! Oh man! You could have never shown up...and still aced the class!
Go to your profile page...read the messages...you'll see.
You've made quite an impression here to. HaHa!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,999,811 times
Quote:
What's strange is that, as a general rule, education is inversely proportional to religiosity.

Thus the more he learns, the more anti-religion he is likely to be.

Maybe that wouldn't happen if religion stayed with spiritual matters and stopped forcing anti-science or false science down our throats. There is a spiritual side to us, not necessarily to do with life after death or a deity or something like that but rather, our emotional beings or our psychological beings if you prefer.

I am at odds with the concept of a religion being based on things like the great flood or Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden or the burning bush in the desert. Funny enough, I don't have too big a problem with the resurrection. That's because I don't think the man actually died on the cross although he would have come pretty close to dying.

I think that if one looks closely into biblical texts one can decipher real events with logical and scientific explanations. It is possible for someone to be crucified and survive (Josephus relates one such case), particularly if the whole event was staged and someone was conveniently on hand with a drug laden sponge to be dipped in water. They did have those things in those times apparently. Miracles on the other hand are the perceptions of the ignorant.

Last edited by 303Guy; 10-23-2015 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality