Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
On another forum there is a really, enthusiastic, inquisitive thinker...
so cute, probably young...
Musing about life, space, God, death, what is 'real', you know, so cute.

So I gave him something to think about and thought this is what everyone
should care about more than words in books, past experiences of others and
interpretations leading to dogmas and repetitive rituals...haha, and arguments!

Just: "If you like to think on these things...think about 'this'...
What is it that was there before I was born and will still be there when I leave here?
What is that thing keeping my body warm and my fingernails growing even while I sleep?
And when it leaves my body...leaves my body cold and everything stops?"

It's like salt in a glass of water...invisible, yet there.
It's like an apple tree...hidden within the seed of the apple....there, but invisible.
Like love in your heart, burning a hole...when you are simply standing in a crowd.
All invisible to the eye.

What is 'that thing'?
I say find 'that' and everything else simple falls into place.
Either you've touch it/felt it or you haven't.
And you can tell who has known this 'thing'...and who has not.

Comments welcome.
Warm coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Warm coffee?
Better, but cold coffees (sweet and flavored) will do.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:32 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
our English teacher taught you correctly...we underline titles, haha.
Only because it was the only option on typewriters or, really, with cursive writing. As far as I know book and movie titles have always been italicized in newspapers / magazines / books and also ever since word processing software became ubiquitous, by everyone else.

If only religion were that simple ;-)

Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If only religion were that simple ;-)
Warm coffee makes everything simple and ok. I find.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Better, but cold coffees (sweet and flavored) will do.
I spent a few weeks living in a cave on a Greek island in the long-ago. Morning coffee was a spoonful of Nescafe whipped to a froth with a teaspoon in about a third of a cup* of warm water. Then more warm water was added to dilute it and make it a tad more palatable. We used water that had been fetched the day before in town and kept in a wine skin.

Those were the days!

*Trying to whip a half-cup or more of water to a froth inevitably leads to considerable spillage of same.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We used water that had been fetched the day before in town and kept in a wine skin.

How much Uzo did you fetch?

Lol.... Uzo will REALLY give seekers the warm fuzzies. There's a reason the Greeks have tales about gods AND churches.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
It's all Greek to me.

Speaking of Greek...I had a raging crush on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vftRtIKyo

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How much Uzo did you fetch?

Lol.... Uzo will REALLY give seekers the warm fuzzies. There's a reason the Greeks have tales about gods AND churches.
Going to loan you an O and uncapitalize the U, my friend.

Ouzo and Retsina (local white wine - with a kick) were indeed plentiful. I could, and should, and maybe one day will, write reams about my time there.

And yes, it was very easy - with ouzo or without - to feel the warm fuzzies while lying on a beach under a dazzling night sky in the Aegean when young and adventuring.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Your post is a similar trick that most mystics use to "confound" the simple minded...and that is this: There is life and Energy, and this life an Energy can only be from one source "A God that has revealed himself through the Holy bible."

Behold the Magical spectacle of life--but do not forget the tragedy beset by it as well. Behold the mountains and the snow capped glaciers, but FORGET NOT the mother bear who has just lost her cubs to a PACK OF WILD WOLVES in those same mountains.

Look yonder to the Sea, and witness the Majesty of the killer whales in packs of 12. But recall the little seals they devour and taunt before their next meal is served.

Witness the poor who are born to poverty and disease and watch a woman holding her starving child take his last breat as she craddles him in her arms and watches him die---while waiting for GOD to come to the rescue but never arises to the task. Perhaps you can preach to her the Majesty of your Biblical god to comfort her in her time of need. BUT THERE will always linger the fact that s/he *(your God) let her down.

Life is born and life is taken---and life is "more times than not" unfair. But Where and what purpose does your God serve?

The bible is a book of stories----some good, many bad. Read objectively, it can serve to give it readers much wisdom in spotting the Evil Nature of man. But upon closer inspection, It hardly makes a scratch against the Tall wall of logic and reason that steadfastly proves that a Mystical Vengeful God (who MORE SO resembles someone with bi-polar disorder rather than that of a God) doesn't not exist.

Instead in its place is the life force of the Universe and Energy. This Universe and force have nothing to do with a Man made book of fables used by Narcissistic Predators to hypnotize the fearful and cowardly who dare not questions their motives nor the origins of a Archaic book.

Come come now...and wake up to the calling---and the Revealed Nature of life itself. The unexplained phenomenon of Energy.

To those who are brave enough to explore, there is another explanation to life---and that being that "Life simply is!" Accept it for what it is....because long after YOU ARE GONE, IT WILL REMAIN and your archaic book will be revealed for what it is---a book of mysticism and fables not to be taken literally.

While the Christians preach the distruction of Earth and a new heave and Earth to found in its place, the Present Universe and Earth laughs at the thought and continues to evolve, just as it has done for millions of years and more to come.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:48 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
On another forum there is a really, enthusiastic, inquisitive thinker...
so cute, probably young...
Musing about life, space, God, death, what is 'real', you know, so cute.

So I gave him something to think about and thought this is what everyone
should care about more than words in books, past experiences of others and
interpretations leading to dogmas and repetitive rituals...haha, and arguments!

Just: "If you like to think on these things...think about 'this'...
What is it that was there before I was born and will still be there when I leave here?
What is that thing keeping my body warm and my fingernails growing even while I sleep?
And when it leaves my body...leaves my body cold and everything stops?"

It's like salt in a glass of water...invisible, yet there.
It's like an apple tree...hidden within the seed of the apple....there, but invisible.
Like love in your heart, burning a hole...when you are simply standing in a crowd.
All invisible to the eye.

What is 'that thing'?
I say find 'that' and everything else simple falls into place.
Either you've touch it/felt it or you haven't.
And you can tell who has known this 'thing'...and who has not.

Comments welcome.
What thing, I have no idea what you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality