Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't attack "religion". I don't see many around here who do.

My enemy is fundamentalism and its adherents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I enjoy posting here. Unfortunately, though, some people do seem to enjoy just poking others in the eye. Daily, we see posts attacking religion. That's unfortunate that some people must be so unhappy in life to do that sort of stuff.
Exactly. You enjoy posting here.............. even though you get a LOT of flack.

I can't understand why someone would spend ANY time on a site they don't like.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Yes. That means you.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Having everyone agree with you is boring. I don't like the idea of people (any people) killing others over belief, but I like the idea of people being able to debate religion.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:04 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
You come on here and constantly make outrageous assertions, like that everyone on planet earth deserves to be killed, except for those who convert to your version of Christianity. And then you wonder why people attack your views.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:37 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
He told you? Personally? Imagine that. I know what I know of God from intuition and my own logic, but here Freak80 has a direct line.
It makes as much sense as Vizio's claims about what God said, and your claims about what you intuit God thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't attack "religion". I don't see many around here who do.
What I find most egregious is how fundamentalists accuse worship leaders like me of attacking religion. It seems that anything that isn't their religion isn't religion to them. There is simply no excuse for expecting that kind of self-ratifying nonsense to hold water with anyone.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Intuition of what God thinks is basically all we can do. Most of us have a shaky grasp, mainly "this feels right/wrong/really wrong."

It feels right for religions to work together, it feels wrong to have struggle for supremacy. I don't want Muslims taking over countries, I want them able to live peacefully within countries. Pretty sure this is doable, too, if not for radical extremists. I will say the same of Christian extremists too (fundies are very scary). This world is plenty scary, I heard today of two extremist types that had nothing to do with religion. Disgruntled customers pulling guns cuz some1 forgot their burger.

I can see a world where there are temples all about, and people are cool with each other (regardless of my personal beefs with stuff, that's what I want). That's the feeling I get of a future that could happen. Or things could get scarier and scarier between religions. I guess if you're cool with that, whatever, but I'm thinking that's counter-purposes.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Intuition of what God thinks is basically all we can do. Most of us have a shaky grasp, mainly "this feels right/wrong/really wrong."
And that's why Freak80's comment, which you sarcastically attempted to marginalize, is as valid and legitimate as your intuition on the matter.

Quote:
I guess if you're cool with that, whatever, but I'm thinking that's counter-purposes.
That's not what Freak80 said. All Freak80 said was that Vizio's comment was not True. Did you lose the thread of the discussion?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
I don't care what Freak80 said. I'm not his lackey. I can don't only think differently from other people supposedly a part of my religion, but I can change my mind. Because I am first a human, then whatever religion, not the other way around.

Humans can get moral intuition (the feeling of rightness/wrong). That's fine, and I respect that from you, him, whoever. But Freak80 said what God told him. From my experience, the people talking to God are typically under a delusion (or dismissed as such). Not to say this is always so, but it is alot less valid than "I know this much is true."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8D2yqgQ1U

Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What I find most egregious is how fundamentalists accuse worship leaders like me of attacking religion.
You know how it goes. All too often, if you're not butt-kissing religion and treating it with top-notch respect no matter what you REALLY think about it, then you're essentially "attacking" religion. After all, religion itself is a very binary belief system. It's all or nothing. Black and white. The more "fundamental" the religion, the more rigid the boundary between black and white, good and evil. If you're not for us, you're against us.

Therefore, again, all too often, this kind of religious indoctrination can program a person's mind to approach ALL issues with only a binary view of the world. This causes them to lose the nuance, the details, the small and sometimes imperceptible differences within an issue. Everything is instead categorized as "for me" and "against me." There's no in between. No gray area. No neutrality.

Fundamentalism rewires the mind to think in binary terms ... which is why nearly any criticism of religion is an "attack" on religion because there is no gray area in between. A mere "criticism" would be a middle ground position -- it's not an outright attack yet it's also not blind acceptance. But to them, there is no middle ground. Thus, if they're not complimenting religion, they're attacking it.

And so you hear these whiners bloviating every other day about these strange "attacks" on religion that just don't exist. It's like good ol' Don Quixote tilting windmills. Some GOP moron actually equated Obama's mandate for religious employers to offer contraception on their insurance plans to Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Can you believe that crap? This guy claimed that this was the third great attack on our nation, this non-existent "war on Christianity."

So sick of hearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality