Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times

Advertisements

http://www.neurosemantics.com/cognit...tions-2015-30/

This is basically why people can tell people about God over and over but cannot convince them. This is also why atheists can't teach theists anything either.
  • Mismatching for difference. You have a set belief. Any new information gets thrown out. In addition, anything that sounds like something you have heard already gets discarded.
  • Options as alternative ways to do something. As in, there is a right way to do something. You want to look for a better way. This might be good in many cases, because the right way is not always the best way. But it can also lead to reinventing the wheel.
  • Discounting small steps. This is why diets fail too. People pick and choose what they follow, and discount stuff that seems too simple.
  • Strong-willed. Basically, nobody can tell you you're wrong so when new information comes along, you ignore it.

Hundreds of Proofs of God’s Existence

These are called mental filters. I could have hundreds of proofs (or disproofs, depending on how you see that article) of God, and someone wouldn't read it. Actually, bizarrely, in many cases they wouldn't SEE it. Their brain would just ignore it and pass on by. For instance, you ignored that link without reading, didn't you?

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 06-04-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

This is basically why people can tell people about God over and over but cannot convince them. This is also why atheists can't teach theists anything either.
  • Mismatching for difference. You have a set belief. Any new information gets thrown out.
  • Options as alternative ways to do something. As in, there is a right way to do something. You want to look for a better way. This might be good in many cases, because the right way is not always the best way. But it can also lead to reinventing the wheel.
  • Discounting small steps. This is why diets fail too. People pick and choose what they follow, and discount stuff that seems too simple.
  • Strong-willed. Basically, nobody can tell you you're wrong so when new information comes along, you ignore it.

These are called mental filters. I could have a 100 proofs (or disproof) of God, and someone wouldn't read it. Actually, bizarrely, in many cases they wouldn't SEE it. Their brain would just ignore it and pass on by. For instance, you ignored that link without reading, didn't you?
People can ''tell'' us about God all they want -- it's a free country. Judging us because we don't follow a particular person's version of God, though, is obnoxious.

You could have a thousand ways to 'prove' the existence of a deity, or a million. It doesn't really matter. Most of us have already considered the major arguments and discarded most of them as implausible.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
That's all fine and good. But I'm saying most people have filters that prevent them from appropriately deciding when proof is good enough. As observed in the Evidence, Please thread.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:

• Mismatching for difference. You have a set belief. Any new information gets thrown out. In addition, anything that sounds like something you have heard already gets discarded.

These are called mental filters. I could have hundreds of proofs (or disproofs, depending on how you see that article) of God, and someone wouldn't read it. Actually, bizarrely, in many cases they wouldn't SEE it. Their brain would just ignore it and pass on by. For instance, you ignored that link without reading, didn't you?

Thats what I call them. But I call it "Brain filters". We are a processor in a bigger processor. That simple.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
...[*]Strong-willed. Basically, nobody can tell you you're wrong so when new information comes along, you ignore it.[/list]
It's not as much being strong-willed as it is having atychiphobia (seeing having been wrong as a personal failure, and hating personal failure either by ego or perfectionism-ideas).

Old 06-04-2016, 02:30 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

I had a look and noted that the first dozen or so have been soundly debunked. I didn't bother about the rest.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:43 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
It will be impossible to convince anointed in Christ believers that God is not real , as the living God lives on their spirit and is one with them ............. As these people would never forsake Jesus Christ

Old 06-04-2016, 03:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
People can ''tell'' us about God all they want -- it's a free country. Judging us because we don't follow a particular person's version of God, though, is obnoxious.

You could have a thousand ways to 'prove' the existence of a deity, or a million. It doesn't really matter. Most of us have already considered the major arguments and discarded most of them as implausible.
See the below post. >>> I have seen many atheists jump thru hoops and tie themselves in knots in an effort to explain away real evidence.

Quote:
That's all fine and good. But I'm saying most people have filters that prevent them from appropriately deciding when proof is good enough. As observed in the Evidence, Please thread.
See above post. ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
It will be impossible to convince anointed in Christ believers that God is not real , as the living God lives on their spirit and is one with them ............. As these people would never forsake Jesus Christ
This is so true. All the arguments in the World don't match up to the power of the Holy Spirit. I know God is real.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:51 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Circular reasoning. I was a believer and now I'm not. Simple fact. But since I "forsook" Jesus I wasn't a believer, in your mind. Fortunately the only REAL truism is this: only a True Believer would believe such facile, self-ratifying nonsense.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
This doesn't fall under cognitive filter but cognitive somethingorother. I was on the Reddit message board and they were discussing someone's mom's failure to understand how the scripture in Isiah about the circle of the earth and how that showed the writer didn't understand the shape of the earth. He was getting kind of frustrated because he kept saying sphere not circle and she kept saying it was a circle. I was trying to follow what he was saying and I was just as lost as to what his point was as his mom was. I was wanting to see what they were saying and I could not. Someone mentioned the moon looking like a circle from the earth and it finally clicked. Oh, it's saying the earth is round like a plate not round like a ball.

Here's what I think happened. That scripture was presented to me as a child as proof positive that the bible had advanced scientific knowledge not available at the time. In the early 70s they already knew the earth was a sphere so when I would read circle in that scripture my mind would see the earth as a 3d ball. Every time those guys said circle my mind automatically switched it to match what we know about the earth. Sphere actually seemed weird and out of place.

It's pretty clever of them to take a scripture that could be used to disprove the bible and specifically put mental blocks around it so when a person encounters the correct argument they cannot see it. Even trying to argue it would probably result in the image of circle being the correct image being even further ingrained.

Is that what you meant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality