Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,096,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Massive decline in enrollment is the reason.

Oldest US graduate seminary to close campus - Religion News Service

From the article:
"Since 2005, enrollment at mainline Protestant seminaries has fallen by nearly 24 percent, he said, and denominational decline has been a driving factor."

It goes on to say:
"...now part-time pastorates are increasingly the norm as congregations with dwindling numbers can’t afford full-timers. Fewer would-be pastors want to incur five-figure student loan debt in exchange for a part-time job. So they don’t enroll."
So, the decline in church membership now is affecting intake of the oldest seminary in the USA. All the talk about church plantings and growing numbers at megachurches aside, this is just another nail in the coffin of mainstream Christian religion in America.

And the reaction from the fundies?

They get more and more vociferous. They think they are "winning"... sort of like Charlie Sheen. And his denials got him HIV.
Even though I am not a christian but it's somewhat a deceiving thread title.
It gives an impression as if the seminary is closing for good but that's not the truth.

You did pick and choose a few lines from the article that perhaps suited your ideology but you missed this one.

Quote:
On Thursday (Nov. 12), Andover Newton Theological School announced plans to relocate and sell its 20-acre campus in Newton, Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,936,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Even though I am not a christian but it's somewhat a deceiving thread title.
It gives an impression as if the seminary is closing for good but that's not the truth.

You did pick and choose a few lines from the article that perhaps suited your ideology but you missed this one.
Yet it has not made any arrangements yet, has it? It announced that it is talking to a number of other institutions to perhaps affiliate.

What I posted was correct, and accurate. It is closing due to declining enrollment, AND graduates can not get jobs due to churches closing. Accurate and real.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
Disinterest in religion, severe shrinkage in leberal denominations. Not really a surprise. Many more will follow.

Its completely false to say fundamentalist type Christian denominations dont like education. There are many conservative Baptist seminaries. Confessional Lutherans also have seminaries that are accredited and graduate men with Doctors degrees.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:11 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,007,787 times
augie, you do realize this thread is from 2015?

I'm a 'Lutheran' by force of upbringing. I have no knowledge of Confessional Lutherans having seminaries that are accredited and graduate men with Doctors degrees. Doctors degrees? Really? Three of my uncles studies theology in America before going to Africa to either as missionaries or a city church minister. I seem to remember my one uncle mentioning studying in Minnesota - I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what has become of cupper3?

Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
The two in my synod are Concordia Seminary in St. Louis and Concordia Theological Seminary in Ft. Wayne Ind. The Wisconsin Synod also has a seminary.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Disinterest in religion, severe shrinkage in leberal denominations. Not really a surprise. Many more will follow.

Its completely false to say fundamentalist type Christian denominations dont like education. There are many conservative Baptist seminaries. Confessional Lutherans also have seminaries that are accredited and graduate men with Doctors degrees.
lets hope they are giving them in the sciences.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
augie, you do realize this thread is from 2015?

I'm a 'Lutheran' by force of upbringing. I have no knowledge of Confessional Lutherans having seminaries that are accredited and graduate men with Doctors degrees. Doctors degrees? Really? Three of my uncles studies theology in America before going to Africa to either as missionaries or a city church minister. I seem to remember my one uncle mentioning studying in Minnesota - I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what has become of cupper3?
Cupper begat normstad, who's also been awol a while.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

Seminaries that issue Doctorates in what? Fairy tales? That is as useful as a Doctorate in the writings about Harry Potter.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:07 PM

50,923 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Seminaries that issue Doctorates in what? Fairy tales? That is as useful as a Doctorate in the writings about Harry Potter.
Even as an atheist, I disagree with you on this. Religion is a legitimate field of study.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even as an atheist, I disagree with you on this. Religion is a legitimate field of study.
Please tell me why?

If you mean from a historical perspective, absolutely. But that is not what seminaries are all about. They purport to take scriptures, teach them as facts, and how to influence those of faith by reiterating what was taught in those seminaries.

As I said, you might as well be teaching a doctorate in Harry Potter or the Outlander. It is as valuable and arguably, more useful as moral teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality