Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

I have a very old (can’t find the publication date for some reason) bible that I don’t know what to do with. It is very compact (5 ¼ inches tall x 3 ¾ inches wide x 1 ¾ inches thick) and printed in what looks to be a 7-point Times New Roman font. All of the pages are tea-stained colored and very delicate such that they are tearing and crumbling. The binding and cover are cracking and flaking. It is in such poor shape that I would never give it to someone because it could not stand up to daily use, plus the type is so teeny tiny. It is not a family bible, and I don’t know where this bible came from or how it ended up in my possession. I don’t want to throw it in the trash, but I have never heard of recycling bibles. How have others dealt with disposing of religious books that are in poor condition?

Also, why can’t I find the date of print/release? I have another bible that also does not have a date of print. Just curious.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Actually, Virgo, I see nothing wrong with throwing away an old bible that has been worn out, and is unreadable..If I run into some one who needs and wants a bible, I will give them one that will be useful to them..One that is not worn out and has other peoples highlights and underlines in them..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Due to the deaths of the older members of our families, we ended up with several bibles and prayer books that were beyond use. They were inexpensive bibles to begin with and were falling apart with age. We couldn't see tossing them in with the garbage, so we built a small fire and burnt them. You might want to think about doing the same, if you can't find someone that would like to have it.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
I will take it if it's very old. Do not throw it away! Please don't do that. And don't burn them either! There are two ways of letting go of an old Bible. If you would like to give it to me I will take it. DM me and I will give you details.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
...I don’t want to throw it in the trash, but I have never heard of recycling bibles...
If you have waste recycling in your town, it would go into the Recycle Bin along with the plastic, cans, and paper.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM

245 posts, read 625,399 times
because of the changes made over the years I'm sure the church would like all old bibles destroyed. if its in that bad of shape though soon there won't be any thing to keep anyway. My family has a very old bible, leather bound, gold embrosed its a big sucker, got to wiegh 12 pounds. it was given to my grandmother over a century ago I doubt it has even been opened a dozen times and the family tree thing on the front page was never even filled out. There has been alot of debate of the years what to do with the thing, but I'm sure at some point it will be sold or given away

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
I have a very old (can’t find the publication date for some reason) bible that I don’t know what to do with. It is very compact (5 ¼ inches tall x 3 ¾ inches wide x 1 ¾ inches thick) and printed in what looks to be a 7-point Times New Roman font. All of the pages are tea-stained colored and very delicate such that they are tearing and crumbling. The binding and cover are cracking and flaking. It is in such poor shape that I would never give it to someone because it could not stand up to daily use, plus the type is so teeny tiny. It is not a family bible, and I don’t know where this bible came from or how it ended up in my possession. I don’t want to throw it in the trash, but I have never heard of recycling bibles. How have others dealt with disposing of religious books that are in poor condition?

Also, why can’t I find the date of print/release? I have another bible that also does not have a date of print. Just curious.

Many thanks.
The word of God is living. Since the bible you have in posession is no longer usable, you should bury it. This is a common practice among Christians and Jews. In fact alot of old scripture is found this way in Israel. Just dig a hole in your garden the next time you out planting seeds. Get yourself a new one and read it everyday.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:08 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
because of the changes made over the years I'm sure the church would like all old bibles destroyed.
Lol! You're funny!

Regarding the OP:
I've never thrown a Bible away... there's something about it that seems too precious to do that. It's not that I'd never under any circumstances do that, tho. An antique or old-book store might be interested in it.. I'm sure someone would want it! Give it to Marks!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Proper disposal of a bible would include respectfully burying it or burning it, or giving it away. Selling it is considered inappropriate, just like selling an old American flag. If it has historical value (pre-1900 or so) then perhaps donate it to a museum. If you cannot bring yourself to burn or bury it, give it to your paster/reverend/priest and let them take care of it.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Give it to the church, duh! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Marks, thanks for the offer to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality