Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I am so not afraid of moving into another phase that I would call HOME! hahaha

It helps to have read 100 NDE accounts and probably every book written
on the afterlife since the 70s! And now all the hypnosis discoveries with patients,
many accidental just dealing with phobias at first. (ie - Brian Weiss, MD)

(I was raised that reincarnation was just a fact since my mother
had an NDE when I was 2.....kidney taken out in the 50s.)

However, faced with death on a Boston subway...my instincts took over ...
wow was that a surprise!
Miss Cool lost her cool!

Hahahaha

Science? Science can't prove I had ice cream last week.
science is not a thing. be that as it may. If I asked you if you had ice cream, I am inclined to believe your answer. I can probably ask around your world and feel comfortable with stating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I once again urge everyone to watch Groundhog Day.
Not as a comedy, but as a deeply philosophical and spiritual work.
It lines up very well with what is discussed here.
Main character eventually understands that he is, basically, immortal. Then see what happens.
That movie, and philosophy behind it, is very well showing specific stages of development a person goes through.
It also shows one very interesting aspect - happiness is not in the physical life. Happiness is in progression and development to the point, when all physical is becoming of no concern and attachment and only good is done to the benefit of all.
THEN a person moves on to a different level of existence.
Btw, to those who say "eternity is boring"
Sure is, if your understanding of eternity were based on a short, likely unsuccessful, life. Or, understanding a life as it is on Earth and transposing that into eternity.
Eternity is not capable of being understood by a human mind that is not developed. Making any assumptions otherwise are unsubstantiated and simply wrong.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I once again urge everyone to watch Groundhog Day.
Not as a comedy, but as a deeply philosophical and spiritual work.

Btw, to those who say "eternity is boring"
Sure is, if your understanding of eternity were based on a short, likely unsuccessful, life.
Or, understanding a life as it is on Earth and transposing that into eternity.
Eternity is not capable of being understood by a human mind that is not developed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May I add ...one day science may be able to somehow convince people
of a Superior Intelligence at work..if Ray Bradbury or Gene Roddenberry
were around they prob could!

Thing is, you really can't discover something outside the box by being in the box.
I've been outta the box ...came back to the box and excitedly told some friends
what was outside and it was fun ...many listened...those that didn't ...it was ok...
they were comfy in the box...no harm in that. Comfy is good. Pleasant.
When it gets cramped in the box, then it's time to peek out.
Ya can't rush a flower..."Bloom already! Bloom!"

Once bloomed ya can't say,'' Go back being a bud, go back!'' Too late!!

PS I know NDEs are not scientific proof...ya read a 100 and it makes you think, tho.
1 or 2, not impressive. Talk to a trusted friend...now, that's impressive.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The fear is, there is nothing after death. Most people dread the nothingness.
I think my own feelings about death are the regret of not continuing to enjoy many of the things that I enjoy in my life. The idea that there may be heaven/hell, punishment/reward and so on never went as deep as my religion intended that it should; thus, my regrets and fears are focused on what I won't have/be aware of, rather than some possibly terrible unknown fate or a happy-happy ever after place.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:43 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May I add ...one day science may be able to somehow convince people
of a Superior Intelligence at work..if Ray Bradbury or Gene Roddenberry
were around they prob could!
Thing is, you really can't discover something outside the box by being in the box.
I've been outta the box ...came back to the box and excitedly told some friends
what was outside and it was fun ...many listened...those that didn't ...it was ok...
they were comfy in the box...no harm in that. Comfy is good. Pleasant.
When it gets cramped in the box, then it's time to peek out.
Ya can't rush a flower..."Bloom already! Bloom!"
Once bloomed ya can't say,'' Go back being a bud, go back!'' Too late!!
PS I know NDEs are not scientific proof...ya read a 100 and it makes you think, tho.
1 or 2, not impressive. Talk to a trusted friend...now, that's impressive.
Amen, kindred spirit! There is no way to convey it verbally to those without experience.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
We do it all the time. Were we present at the big bang for example? No. But we have discovered MUCH about it based on the evidence in the here and now. It really is another form of the "Well if you are blind to it - I can not show you it" cop out many theists and new ageists pedal. It is their way of excusing the fact that they simply can not back up a single thing they claim to be true. The poster directly above me is a prime example of this.

Quote:
PS I know NDEs are not scientific proof...ya read a 100 and it makes you think, tho. 1 or 2, not impressive. Talk to a trusted friend...now, that's impressive.
Just shows you how prone to emotional bias we are as humans. That you would be more impressed by one of two identical claims just because you know the person. Truth remains truth - and delusion remains delusion - regardless of who is bringing it to you.

Reading 100s of NDE reports - as I actually have done where many have not - does make you think. And think hard. And I pile praise on those people who think about it - and even more on those who study it.

No praise however do I hold for those who STOP thinking about it and merely declare it out of hand to be evidence of an after life (it is no such thing) - or something supernatural. Those people might say "It makes ya think" but what they are actually doing is NOT thinking.

NDEs are a massive insight into the working of the brain. So yes it does make you think - because this is a large data set to think about and apply to our learning on how the brain functions. And we not only need to think about it more - but we need to work on better ways to compile that data.

Oh to have FMRI scans of people AS they have NDE each and every time - rather than third hand anecdotal accounts of badly executed subjective interviews with people who report NDE days - weeks - or even months after the fact. The things we could learn.

But evidence for anything after death it most certainly is not. Despite how much people really - really really really - really want it to be.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If science could prove that there's nothing to fear after death, would you be less afraid of death?

The biological fear of death is hard-wired. But there's also the "intellectual" fear of death, usually centered on the fear of "what might happen afterward." It's a fear that religion has capitalized on.

I only notice it's Christians who are afraid to die no others. My mom is a devout Christian & she's scared to go. It's like she isn't sure like she's been good enough or has gave enough to said TV preacher or gone to church enough.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:18 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The fear is, there is nothing after death. Most people dread the nothingness.
Some people do fear dissolution / loss of identity. I've encountered that many times just here in these fora. I've never been so impressed with life or with myself to the extent that this would bother me, but I can see how people who are very attached to their life and relationships could have some struggle with it, and would be therefore attracted to open ended or cyclic existence / afterlife ideas.

I think it was Hitchens who touchingly described this as being informed that not only will you have to leave the party, but that it will go on without you. That is especially bittersweet if you are enjoying the party. However, I accept that this is the way of things, to the best of anyone's actual knowledge. And I'm okay with it.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I only notice it's Christians who are afraid to die no others. My mom is a devout Christian & she's scared to go. It's like she isn't sure like she's been good enough or has gave enough to said TV preacher or gone to church enough.
In general Christians are just as afraid to die as anyone, because they are just as human as anyone, with the same survival instincts. But for some, like your mother, it is even worse: they think they know what awaits them but unless they are taught "eternal security" they are never sure that they measure up. And even if they are taught eternal security, that is only mental knowledge, which doesn't address their shame and guilt issues and therefore does not necessarily make them FEEL secure.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
its not death we fear. its how we are going to die that scares me. Kinda like the nurse approaching with a needle. It never hurts as bad as I think it is going to. well, I hope anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality