Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you believe that?
I certainly can't (and don't) speak for Convextec, but here's why I believe that:

It's not the job of a deity to throw gifts at the lazy or unmotivated. They're not candy machines; if you want a reward, get off your butt and earn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 09:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
It might do you good to walk in her shoes for a day or so.
Your sitting comfortable and judging some one you don't even know.

Any way ,
From my experience ,when one helps a child of God, it is noted.
If some one does something for me, and I do not have the means to return the favor ,I devote some time to pray for that person ,that God would bless them in their kindness.
God intervenes for me, and often I don't know it till a while later .
God told Abraham, " those the bless you I will bless, and those the curse you I will curse ".
I have known many blessings, and also times I had been abused, and those had been taken to task and dealt with seriously, and I had nothing to do with it, said nothing to any one .
God allows His children to endure many things both good and bad , like a tree that endures both good days an bad , the bad days encourage the roots to deepen, to endure the storms in relative comfort. but trees that see little stress during their life, and suddenly are faced with a storm, fall right over .
An act of kindness is different from an act of manipulation , God knows the heart (Motivation) If your going to do something noble ,do it because it's right , ,not because your expecting something out of it.
Mom taught me this when I was young , she would buy groceries and separate a box with certain things and we would park in front a home of a family we knew were in need and , she would send me to the door and simply leave the box of food for them as a gift , inspired of God to do so.
No one in the church told her to do this , it was in her heart to do this. it's called Love and obedience.
I didn't put it together then , but God was always blessing us in so many ways , it's probably why my faith and relationship with God is what it is.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Not enough info here to judge, even if I were so inclined. If she is earning less than about $15 an hour it is a near-certainty that she can't afford a serviceable car and probably not even reliably food, much less panty hose. If she is above whatever has been judged a "living wage" locally and has been for any length of time then she should not be sponging. Although ride sharing when feasible is still justifiable on ecological grounds as well as on grounds of fiscal responsibility / reasonable frugality.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Next time she asks for money or a ride, tell her "God only helps those who help themselves."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you believe that?
convextech, she IS helping herself, helping herself by begging and living off of other's charity but not having to thank them since she can thank her imagination (the imaginable/conceptual gods) on their behalves.

Vizio, Probably because only an Enemy of the people would be so cruel to them otherwise.
Only an Enemy would help them randomly, as if though just luck, thus increasing their "I'm probably alone" and "evil people who work hard at it have less suffering" cognitive dissonance.
Only an Enemy would let his followers be tortured and pained
Etc. things like that.

Rocco, I fear this old lady is probably a big hypocrite or purposely ignorant if NOT EVEN Supposed God can help her to keep her credit up nor help her afford some cheap pantyhose herself. A God that relies on charity is a poor god indeed, handicapped to the point of being like a fallible and weak human seeking praise for things other people do.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 AM

392 posts, read 248,347 times
Because materialism is responsible for the fall.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

Vizio, Probably because only an Enemy of the people would be so cruel to them otherwise.
Only an Enemy would help them randomly, as if though just luck, thus increasing their "I'm probably alone" and "evil people who work hard at it have less suffering" cognitive dissonance.
Only an Enemy would let his followers be tortured and pained
Etc. things like that.
not sure what that response has to do with my question.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
she's old.
How old can she be if her dad is around to lend her money for a car???

Old 11-27-2015, 08:52 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How old can she be if her dad is around to lend her money for a car???
I don't lend my kids money for cars or anything else, I give it to them freely, and they are in their 40s!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:56 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I don't lend my kids money for cars or anything else, I give it to them freely, and they are in their 40s!
I will probably be the same way. My only kid is 24, though.

But still, that wasn't my point. The OP is claiming this person is old, yet she has a living father. I was just wondering what "old" might be.

I am 57 myself. I'm not old!

Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I will probably be the same way. My only kid is 24, though.

But still, that wasn't my point. The OP is claiming this person is old, yet she has a living father. I was just wondering what "old" might be.

I am 57 myself. I'm not old!
I'm 64.

It's the new 46.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality