Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM

7,621 posts, read 6,140,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I am baffled by all the Christians who, when questioned about bible atrocities, proclaim that you cannot take the bible literally. Well, if you can't, what is the point of the bible? And who decided it cannot/should not be taken literally? And who decided which parts should be taken literally and which shouldn't? Was it due to laws against stoning and other horrible acts that were finally made illegal in somewhat civilized countries? If so, doesn't the fact that actually living by biblical laws is illegal in all advanced countries prove that the bible is completely outdated and useless?
Now Now good kitty

You are correct. The Bible is just a collection of myths and stories. While some have good morals, some are not so good.
But in the context of the thread, the god of the Bible is not just a sick god, but a totally inept one as well.
He makes the world, knowing it will fail, but makes it anyway, has to destroy it with a flood and start over. Then that does not work so he sides with one tribe and has them go and kill all the others who he does not like.
Then he impregnates a virgin, dwells with humans as a demigod for a while, but does not fit in, gets killed as an outcast (even among the tribe he favored)
SO then he has to announce that he will eventually have to go and destroy the world again, but he leaves that sometime in the future.

talk about a lose-Lose situation.

no Wonder that the great writer Isaac Asimov once said
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

Then again, Asimov's books are better reading than the books of the Holy Bible any day.

OH Yeah. God supposedly wrote the Bible. Add "terrible author " to that list. Seriously? How can a supposedly perfect deity write such garbage?
So not only is god a sick god, but he is incompetent and he is a lousy writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,779,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There are more sightings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster than flaming hand incidents. So there is better evidence for the FSM than the Christian God.
My flaming hand defies logical explanation and is backed up with eye witness testimony. You got vague photos of squiggly lines. Sorry, your evidence for a fictional creature is not even as strong as evidence that Spiderman really exists.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now Now good kitty

You are correct. The Bible is just a collection of myths and stories. While some have good morals, some are not so good.
But in the context of the thread, the god of the Bible is not just a sick god, but a totally inept one as well.
He makes the world, knowing it will fail, but makes it anyway, has to destroy it with a flood and start over. Then that does not work so he sides with one tribe and has them go and kill all the others who he does not like.
Then he impregnates a virgin, dwells with humans as a demigod for a while, but does not fit in, gets killed as an outcast (even among the tribe he favored)
SO then he has to announce that he will eventually have to go and destroy the world again, but he leaves that sometime in the future.

talk about a lose-Lose situation.

no Wonder that the great writer Isaac Asimov once said
“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

Then again, Asimov's books are better reading than the books of the Holy Bible any day.

OH Yeah. God supposedly wrote the Bible. Add "terrible author " to that list. Seriously? How can a supposedly perfect deity write such garbage?
So not only is god a sick god, but he is incompetent and he is a lousy writer.
Prime example of the hatred which atheists claim they do not have for an imaginary person. You can't just say you disagree with the Bible. Nooooo, you have to say it's "garbage" which you know is actually offensive to a lot of people and disrespectful to the people who have lived and died for this sacred book.

You claim God is inept yet funny thing is you offer no explanation how you could do such a superior job than God. With your logic, parents should never have children because children will eventually do wrong things and disobey. No, most people have children because the positive aspects outweigh the negatives.

Bottom line is that you are not God, you don't have God's supreme knowledge of the universe therefore you can not accurate evaluate the situation without all the facts. You need God's perspective.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,973,796 times
There is no sick God, just sinful man who wants to do things his own way. We need a Savior, we can't save ourselves. Are we arrogant enough to believe that we can ?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,322,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
There is no sick God, just sinful man who wants to do things his own way. We need a Savior, we can't save ourselves. Are we arrogant enough to believe that we can ?
I am exceedingly grateful to be saved from belief in the monstrous Abrahamic god. He is worthy of nothing but contempt and disgust.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,660,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Prime example of the hatred which atheists claim they do not have for an imaginary person. You can't just say you disagree with the Bible. Nooooo, you have to say it's "garbage" which you know is actually offensive to a lot of people and disrespectful to the people who have lived and died for this sacred book.

You claim God is inept yet funny thing is you offer no explanation how you could do such a superior job than God. With your logic, parents should never have children because children will eventually do wrong things and disobey. No, most people have children because the positive aspects outweigh the negatives.

Bottom line is that you are not God, you don't have God's supreme knowledge of the universe therefore you can not accurate evaluate the situation without all the facts. You need God's perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You two are obviously Christians, can you answer my questions? Do you also pick and choose and, if so, why? If God is wise and wants humans to live according to his word, are you not compelled to follow biblical directives exactly as they are written?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
You two are obviously Christians, can you answer my questions? Do you also pick and choose and, if so, why? If God is wise and wants humans to live according to his word, are you not compelled to follow biblical directives exactly as they are written?
The Bible makes it plain that the Christ's sacrifice made the Old Convent law null and void. We are now saved by grace not strict obedience to a set of laws.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,395,989 times
Quote:
Telling me that God is a sick evil God in no way moves the needle towards your side. It doesn't prove logically that there is no God. It is a topic only meant to drag Christianity through the mud.
If your God is the God of the Bible, then he most certainly is sick. If that is dragging Christianity through the mud, then so be it. I call it like I see it bruv.

Quote:
I think you have it backwards. You guys want to turn long held religious traditions into a secular thing. It's always all or nothing with you guys. We only want to see traditions and the values of a community be preserved. A vast majority of people have no problem saying God bless America or holding a prayer before an event. I wouldn't go into a Muslim community and demand that they tear down their banners or not pray in public either. If I'm in the minority, I can still respect a different in beliefs.

You seem to think traditions matter. They do not. If they did, we would still have slavery, or separate counters for blacks and whites, and gays would still have to hide in the closet. Fact is, whether you like it or not, we are a secular society. It does not matter if a majority thinks it is fine. If it is in a secular environment (ie: not church or your home or similar), it should stay secular. Keep your fantasies and talking to yourself out of my child's school, and out of our government buildings and we are fine.

If that same Muslim wanted to pray at your local football game, I guarantee you people would have an issue with it. Like I said, you guys could not care less about freedom of religion, as you only care about YOUR religion. Anyone who doesn't agree with YOUR religion can shove it. Sorry, but your power is waning, and it won't be stopping anytime soon here in the good ole USofA. If you don't like it, then move to a country that let's religion (your religion of course) rule. See how you like it.

Quote:
The thing taken away in both cases was religious freedom. You can harp on the legal aspects all you want, but when you strip it to the bone, they were punished for their faith. If the lesbians had not been offended by Christianity and complained to the boss, he would not have lost his job.
What Mystic said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Religious freedom only extends to what you can believe and how you can worship God. It has NOTHING to do with what you can do or not do at work or in any other secular setting. Try to get that into your head, jeff.

Your religious freedom does not exempt you from consequences of your actions. I think you know that, but since it doesn't fit in to your persecution complex, you ignore it.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:17 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,660,096 times
Quote:
The Bible makes it plain that the Christ's sacrifice made the Old Convent law null and void. We are now saved by grace not strict obedience to a set of laws.
It seems everything contradicts each other, the new testament the old, bible verses in each even contradict each other. So both books could be used to support that the old doctrines need to be upheld, as well as the opposite. There are no clear-cut, consistent directives that both testaments follow to the letter. With so much opposing information, how do you decide what should be retained, and what should be abolished? For example, I believe the 10 Commandments are found in the old testament. If the old testament is null and void, the entire book should be null and void, including the 10 Commandments. And if God knew he was going to sacrifice Jesus and make the old law null and void, why not skip the old law in the first place?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,824,753 times
Quote:
If you were God, would you really go to such efforts for people who hate and despise you? God reveals Himself to those who sincerely have a heart to seek Him.
I would and he should too. If he claims to love all his children, then why does it matter if such people hate him? Esp when the person might only hate him for a good reason.
Sounds like this god is an all powerful version of my biological father...too chicken to admit he messed up and face those who he has done wrong. That's pretty bad because you do not want to be like a scumbucket such as him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality