Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 05:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Sounds like this god is an all powerful version of my biological father...too chicken to admit he messed up and face those who he has done wrong. That's pretty bad because you do not want to be like a scumbucket such as him.
In fairness, that's about all a bronze age peasant was striving for when they wrote those stories. They'd be shocked at a lot about modern society....but nothing would shock them more than to see people still taking their silly stories seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You claim God is inept yet funny thing is you offer no explanation how you could do such a superior job than God. With your logic, parents should never have children because children will eventually do wrong things and disobey. No, most people have children because the positive aspects outweigh the negatives.

Bottom line is that you are not God, you don't have God's supreme knowledge of the universe therefore you can not accurate evaluate the situation without all the facts. You need God's perspective.

Wrong again Jeff

You clearly have never attended a book club meeting. What happens, in case you did not know, is that we all get together and decide which book to read. Then we meet back in a couple of weeks and discuss the characters of the book. We discuss our interpretation of the character. Some examples are Shakespeare's Falstaff, Ayn Rand's Kira Argounova, and even once an interesting debate about Isaac Asimov's Hari Seldon.
I was discussing the mythical god of the Bible and his failures the same as I might discuss those of Zeus or Zarathustra.

I never made any claim to do better than the Biblical god, nor do I wonder why you seem to be so upset that I did not. Let me pass you some Kleenex.

Fact is, I would not undertake any event which I knew would fail on such a massive level. If I knew it would fail, I would not choose it. If I chose it, and failed, it is because I as a human am inadequate and errant, just like the god of the Bible. And I do not demand that each person here follow ten rules in life, the first 5 of which being centered around how YOU are to worship ME !

I will hint though that life imitates art. I would not want to spoil your fun in searching, but think of the Bible as just another book and the way people try to change their lives to fit an ideal. Some may be willing to die for it.

No God required for that.

As for knowledge of the universe, I certainly have more knowledge today than any Bronze or Iron age peasant, or Roman neurotic had. And I did not learn that through theism.
All evidence points to their being no literal god.
No evidence points to it existing.

Now if YOU still want to worship me, go ahead.
But I make no claims to Deity or perfection.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:22 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I would and he should too. If he claims to love all his children, then why does it matter if such people hate him? Esp when the person might only hate him for a good reason.
Sounds like this god is an all powerful version of my biological father...too chicken to admit he messed up and face those who he has done wrong. That's pretty bad because you do not want to be like a scumbucket such as him.

Mine too. It is called
Borderline Personality Disorder
At least in my biological father's case. Look it up in DSM if you have not already.
He had issues with people hating him, but borderlines tend to project their self hatred onto others

Nothing wrong with admitting failure and moving on. The problem is when someone can neither see nor admit failure, and then NOT move on

Such behavior Seems to happen a lot on Sunday mornings in churches.

I am with you on this one Nickchick.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The bible god so loveth the world he destroyed it, then rebuilt it. Then got ticked off again and destroyed 99.9999% of it but sanctioned incest and repopulated it but decided everyone who repopulated was chockfull of sin from the moment they drew breath and were doomed to eternal hellfire unless they got dunked with water, said the right words and worshiped the heck out of him.

Properly.

Not sick at all....

Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
My flaming hand defies logical explanation and is backed up with eye witness testimony. You got vague photos of squiggly lines. Sorry, your evidence for a fictional creature is not even as strong as evidence that Spiderman really exists.
All of those pictures of the Flying Spaghetti Monster defy logical explanation.

Everything which defies logical explanation is proof for the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
All of those pictures of the Flying Spaghetti Monster defy logical explanation.

Everything which defies logical explanation is proof for the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Are we still talking about gods, goddesses, and Flying Spaghetti Monsters?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Are we still talking about gods, goddesses, and Flying Spaghetti Monsters?
You can't prove those things don't exist.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
So if a person gets decapitated, I suppose next you would demand that God regrow him a new head.
I'm not demanding anything. I'm just pointing out that god doesn't do certain classes of miracles and even his people don't suggest that he does. The classes of miracles he doesn't do are the undeniable ones.

If you really want to convince a lot of people to take a really serious second look at Christianity, just put on a road show where you go from hospital to hospital putting them out of business curing paralysis, regrowing missing limbs, and curing incurable cancers. Do it instantaneously and unambiguously and without anything but a prayer. It will be all over the news and social media and will transform society overnight.

Knock yourself out. Show that the One True God is just that.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Prime example of the hatred which atheists claim they do not have for an imaginary person. You can't just say you disagree with the Bible. Nooooo, you have to say it's "garbage" which you know is actually offensive to a lot of people and disrespectful to the people who have lived and died for this sacred book.
LOL! Here we go again.

You seem to forget that many of us here and elsewhere really don't CARE anymore if it's offensive. Religion has had 2,000 years of unearned and, quite frankly, undeserved respect. For centuries, people have had to live in abject FEAR of being executed in cruel, vicious, and malevolent ways for merely whispering a disagreement with even the smallest bit of scripture. Even in the modern age of free speech we've had to deal with people like you who demand ... DEMAND ... that everyone walk around pretending as though they have nothing but the utmost respect for religion as if we STILL live in an age where so much as looking at a Bible the wrong way could land you in a dungeon.

If that weren't bad enough, you ... yes YOU, Jeffbase, and others like you ... are merely the Christian mirror image of the Muslims who stormed the office of a cartoonist and murdered a bunch of people because ... why, Jeff? WHY?

Because they were *cough* offended.

Oh boohoo, someone spoke ill of, or drew an inappropriate image of, my messiah and or my prophet and or my God and or my holy book and or my pope/pastor/imam and or simply made a joke about a Mexican guy named Jesus.

Right, let me guess: "But I would never murder people because I was offended! You don't see Christians doing that!"

Of course you don't. Because secularism finally managed to win control of legislation and the judicial system of most (if not all) Christian nations. Secularism, Jeff.

Do you remember the story I posted about a week ago showing how three Christian presidential candidates -- Huckabee, Jindle, and the current 2nd place contender, Cruz -- had a hap-hap-happy Christian jamboree just a few months ago at an event hosted and led by a pastor, Kevin Swanson, who wants the government to execute homosexuals?

Did you .... umm ... miss that, by chance?

I'm here to tell you that thanks to you and your fundamentalist pals this country walks a razor's edge between being a 1st World free democracy with a secular government and some 3rd World de facto theocracy with people like Cruz in power -- and only a thin piece of 300 year-old paper standing between him and some pretty terrible Christian Taliban proclamations.

Do you know what that 300 year-old piece of paper says, Jeff? Well, it is, perhaps, the one and only thing that keeps a certain vocal, well-funded, and well-organized (not to mention powerful) segment of Christianity from doing precisely what you claim they'll never do.

How long would it be, then, before people who called the Bible "garbage" mysteriously disappeared in the middle of the night ... because people like YOU were offended?

I can't speak for every atheist, but for me, that's a big reason why I just don't CARE if you're offended. And let's get something straight ...

Quote:
...is actually offensive to a lot of people and disrespectful to the people who have lived and died for this sacred book.
More people have died to protect our right to call the Bible "garbage" than have EVER died protecting YOUR ill-conceived right to CENSOR people who disagree with your religion.

Why not get your butt up from behind that computer, march yourself down to any VFW post, and ask the members you find therein and see what they think. Hmm?

(As a note to other Christians, as I'm sure you know by now, I am not gunning for every Christian, just those like Jeff who would either join the theocratic fascists ... or stand idly by and allow braver people to do the immoral things he only wished he had the stomach to do himself.)

Quote:
You claim God is inept yet funny thing is you offer no explanation how you could do such a superior job than God.
Are you kidding? How could ANYONE screw up as badly as God while still being all-powerful? Well, at least according to your literal take on the Bible. (That's what I love about dealing with literalists: they have to swallow ALL of the medicine, not just the parts that taste yummy.)

Seriously, think about it. God screwed the pooch so heinously that he had to magically rape Mary by sticking his son Jesus in her womb with the original INTENT of murdering Jesus at the prime of his life just to make we humans feel guilty about something that was never our fault to begin with. Yeah, that's right. The sacrifice of Jesus was all about covering up God's divine brain fart.

"Well damn ... I guess it WAS a bad idea to put the Forbidden Fruit in the Garden of Eden along with a brand new child-race and a demon prince." (*heavy sigh*) "I guess I have to admit, too, that, next time, I'll remember to create Eve BEFORE I warn humanity not to eat the Forbidden Fruit. My bad."

Quote:
With your logic, parents should never have children because children will eventually do wrong things and disobey. No, most people have children because the positive aspects outweigh the negatives.
Most parents don't have children just to create a cult of worshipers who are expected to blindly obey every whimsical demand lest they be tortured by the father's arch-enemy.

Quote:
Bottom line is that you are not God, you don't have God's supreme knowledge of the universe therefore you can not accurate evaluate the situation without all the facts. You need God's perspective.
Actually, there's a line below your bottom line.

It says that, no, actually you don't need God's perspective. The reason is because of the fragility of the Biblical "house of cards" that taking everything literally builds.

Because the numerous ways in which I could explain this to you could easily fill a book ... AND ... because I know it won't matter anyway and because nothing I've ever said (or anything any other non-Bible-worshiper has said, for that matter) to you has or ever will matter ... AND ... because I've written enough already, ripped you a new one ... AND ... because your obsession with censoring, fascism, and your arrogant demands for respect on behalf of your fundamentalism really ticked me off ... I'm just not going to waste much time on this.

I will say this, however:

There are quite a number of things about humans, our planet, and the universe that can only be the result of one of two things (if we accept Biblical literalism as true):

a) God was either stupid or malevalent

OR

b) God was playing by the rules of some OTHER God ... a God even greater than himself, the REAL creator of the universe.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm not demanding anything. I'm just pointing out that god doesn't do certain classes of miracles and even his people don't suggest that he does. The classes of miracles he doesn't do are the undeniable ones.

There is always a way to deny something if you try hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

If you really want to convince a lot of people to take a really serious second look at Christianity, just put on a road show where you go from hospital to hospital putting them out of business curing paralysis, regrowing missing limbs, and curing incurable cancers. Do it instantaneously and unambiguously and without anything but a prayer. It will be all over the news and social media and will transform society overnight.

Knock yourself out. Show that the One True God is just that.
People with stage four cancer have had prayer and seen their tumors completely disappear from a pet scan. Does that phase the skeptic? Not one bit. Any display of regrowing limbs would be met with claims that it was some kind of magic trick or illusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality